09 Cold Start Issue shifting into first

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
CQL81

09 Cold Start Issue shifting into first

Post by CQL81 »

Hello!

So lately, my beloved 09 Vibe has been having issues. Strangely it’s only the first start of the day.. she has a really hard time shifting out of first (automatic) and I have to gently rev her and drive slowly until she shifts and after that she drives fine!! I had her checked at my mechanic and he didn’t see any glaring issues (but also doesn’t work with transmissions). He said it’s gonna cost a small fortune to have the transmission looked at. Any ideas?
Caretaker

Re: 09 Cold Start Issue shifting into first

Post by Caretaker »

Always start with the simple and worry about the hard later. First, how many miles are on the odometer and when was the transmission fluid changed last? Should be done every 60,000-80,000 miles with the World Standard (WS) fluid. Remember,our owners manual is WRONG. If you have had the fluid changed and they put in the Toyota Type IV fluid, it is incorrect and needs to be removed immediately. Also, the WS recommendation of 100,000 - "never needing changing" is totally bogus.

Regarding the transmission itself, do remember that there are speed limiters on both generations of the Vibe. When the engine is cold, you can't just put it in gear and go as fast as you want; it has to warm up for a few blocks. This is especially noticeable in the winter time. If you truely are having trouble, can you tell us what the tacometer reads as you perceive the transmission "stuck" in first gear?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I agree with Caretaker...Start simple by replacing the transmission fluid. Is the CEL on? If so, please let us know what the codes are.

Can you (safely) take a video of the vehicle acting up? You may need to upload to YouTube or similar and then share here.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
CQL81

Post by CQL81 »

245k miles on the clock and I’m going to cover my eyes as I say I haven’t had transmission fluid changed out since 100k. I didn’t take it or do it that time and my mechanic says they don’t do transmission fluid stuff at their shop, so I’m figuring out where to have it done.. I figure I should at least try that before giving up.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

CQL81 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:15 am 245k miles on the clock and I’m going to cover my eyes as I say I haven’t had transmission fluid changed out since 100k. I didn’t take it or do it that time and my mechanic says they don’t do transmission fluid stuff at their shop, so I’m figuring out where to have it done.. I figure I should at least try that before giving up.
Can you change your oil? If so, you can do your tranny fluid. By the proper fluid at a parts store, drain it from the transmission, and refill to specification via the dipstick tube.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

CQL81 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:15 am 245k miles on the clock and I’m going to cover my eyes as I say I haven’t had transmission fluid changed out since 100k. I didn’t take it or do it that time and my mechanic says they don’t do transmission fluid stuff at their shop, so I’m figuring out where to have it done.
DoubleFacePalm.jpg
DoubleFacePalm.jpg (57.55 KiB) Viewed 936 times
jolt

Post by jolt »

This is classic fluid and FILTER. A restricted, poor flowing filter along with the cold, thick fluid at startup will produce shift problems as there is not enough fluid flow to produce the proper pressured to apply the to the bands and clutches in the transmission. Depending how long you have let this go, it can produce other very expensive problems in the transmission. As others here suggested, change the transmission fluid and the transmission FILTER also. DO NOT DO A POWER FLUSH of the transmissions. Have the pan drops, the filter changed, the magnets, and pan cleaned. Refill with WS spec transmission fluid. Cross your finger's and hope for the best.