Passenger side driveshaft obstructed from seating and transmission

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
bryangor

Passenger side driveshaft obstructed from seating and transmission

Post by bryangor »

Hello all, I have a 2003 Pontiac front wheel drive with automatic transmission… I was replacing the drive shaft but was given the incorrect one by the auto parts store… when I tried to put the old one back in it would not seat all the way because there is something obstructing it inside tranny… It is metal and it appears to be a square rod. I'm assuming it's part of the differential but can't find it in any diagrams online. Could someone please tell me how to proceed.
zbyers

Re: Passenger side driveshaft obstructed from seating and transmission

Post by zbyers »

do you have any pictures of the piece in question? Unless the transmission is damaged, the only thing(s) that could really be in the way on a FWD is the circlip that is supposed to be on the axle, and then the axle seal.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
bryangor

Post by bryangor »

Not quite sure how to post a picture here… here is a link to a pic on Google Drive let me know if you can open

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1puP4Ml ... p=drivesdk
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I had to request access for the image.

bryangor

Post by bryangor »

OK let me try another way
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I usually send them to myself on facebook messenger (if you're on FB). I then open the image in a separate tab, and copy that link and past it in line here using the [ img][/ img] thingy

bryangor

Post by bryangor »

this should do it...

https://i.imgur.com/OS1My2i.jpg
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The forum software has a maximum upload file size, and digital cameras these days create files way above that limit, so sometimes you have to edit the pics to make them smaller. I took your pic, cropped it a little, then resized it smaller.
diff0.jpg
diff0.jpg (63.81 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
What I see in that pic looks normal to me. There is a bar that runs across the interior that acts as the shaft for the side gears in the differential stage of the tranny.

For example, here is a pic of that, this is from a dead 5-speed manual tranny, but the one in your auto tranny is nearly, if not completely identical
diff1.jpg
diff1.jpg (63.46 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
Here is another pic of that looking in where the splined axle slides in, pretty much the same view as in your picture
diff2.jpg
diff2.jpg (64.92 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
I've never pulled the axle out of an auto Vibe, but I have on a 5 speed vibe, and if I remember correctly, there's a split ring around the tip of the axle shaft that serves as a retainer once it's fully inserted. Installing or removing the axle takes a bit of force to get that split ring to compress enough to pass through the splines

I found a youtube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkLBfXRDo1k, at about 2:30 in it shows the split ring I was talking about. Perhaps that video covers some critical step you need to get the axle back in.
bryangor

Post by bryangor »

Thanks for the pics... I had thought about the pin originally, but what is obstructing mine is square (or rectangle) but more importantly it's sitting just on the opposite side of the female splines in tranny so the driveshaft won't go in far enough for the split ring to engage... the drive shaft at full insertion is still at least 1" of where it would be fully seated.

Is there anyway that pin could move closer to the splines?
Could the differential have moved closer to the opening?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

There is nothing in your picture that screams to me that there is an obstruction.

One of the easiest ways I have found to get that circlip to compress and go through the splines is to center it using some grease, and put the open end of it downward. You should then be able to slide it into the trans with relative easy.

Once it's in the trans, are you able to lightly tap the end of the axle with a hammer to finish getting it seated?

The object in your picture looks to be as joatmon described, and looks to be far enough into the trans that it wouldn't stop the axle from fully seating.

bryangor

Post by bryangor »

What seems to be happening to me... and it's easier to see if my photo is blown up, is that the bar (pin?) in the center is up against the splines in the differential and not leaving a big enough gap for the circlip to get into position and engage (please see my crude drawing).

https://i.imgur.com/6as6NwF.jpg?2

Now if I'm not mistaken, the right and left drive shafts go into either end of the differential pictured in previous post? If so that seems to indicate to me that there's nothing else in that portion of tranny case that could get in the way... BUT in my pic there is a flat face on the bar, and the gear pin in the following pic is clearly round and centered in the diff. leaving room on either side for the circlip to engage.

Is it possible there is a flat face on a Vibe gear pin? I'm asking because I wasn't sure if the diff. pic posted was a stock diff. pic or an actual Vibe diff. pic.

Thanks for all input
bryangor

Post by bryangor »

Thank you all... I am embarrassed to say you were all 100% correct... I have done this a dozen times without issues and could have sworn the drive shaft was all the way in. I guess the pic I took was deceiving

Still confused that the opinion gear pin has a flat side, but the car is going so I'm just gonna be grateful and not question it.

Thanks again everyone for your input!
Bryan
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

glad to hear you are squared away!