Stripped Transmission Nut

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
tjdean01

Stripped Transmission Nut

Post by tjdean01 »

Hey, guys. 298,000 on our 2008 and still running strong! My GF drives like a maniac and doesn’t tell me until 7000 miles that I need to change the oil so I don’t know how long it will last, but from that kind of neglect I must say it’s been a great car for $2000! Water pump and starter were both super simple to replace.

Anyway, I stripped the screw and part of the nut on the tranny pan last week after doing a drain and fill. I got it to stop leaking for the time being but I want to replace it soon here.

What do you recommend for a new pan? It might be hard to get someone at the junk yard to flip a car on its side for me to pull one off. Recently I’ve been able to buy used parts on ebay but I’m not finding one. I don't think I want to try to have a new nut welded on.

Also, would a Corolla one fit? What years? There were like 400,000 Corollas made every year and maybe only 200,000 Vibes. That would widen my search. And, is there a definite part number I can search for (GM or Toyota)?

Thanks!!
Last edited by tjdean01 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 base 1.8L 285k
andrewclaus

Re: Stripped Transmission Nut

Post by andrewclaus »

It's a Toyota transaxle. I just checked the nameplate on mine and it fits Corolla.

When I changed fluid and bought the gasket on my Vibe, I remember hearing there were two different bolt patterns, with bolt counts off by two. If you get a Corolla transaxle with the right number of bolts, you should be good.

You can try poking around on this site for a Toyota part number: http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/us/200 ... il-pan-atm
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

So you stripped the drain plug? And you want to replace the entire pan? I'm not finding the correlation. If you simply stripped out the drain plug, there are replacements readily available at parts stores...

As andrew mentioned, there are two different automatic transmission pans. I believe the difference was for AWD and GT. One has 19 bolts, and the other 20 or 21.

If you truly need a whole new transmission pan, they are available via Toyota under an 08 Matrix. Toyota P/N: 35106-12100. Conicelli linked below typically has the best pricing I find for OEM Toyota parts.

https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconshoho ... dhcw%3D%3D
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
tjdean01

Post by tjdean01 »

Thanks for the help, guys. So, the 35106-12100 part number is for the regular front wheel drive...and the Matrix, Corolla, and Vibe are all the same? I found one on Ebay for $20! And it looks like it comes with the right length screw too:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (66.56 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
And, if my original post was hard to understand: bolt is totally ruined. I bought an appx 1 1/4" long bolt and put about 1/2" of washers on it and got it to stay in place and not leak. The nut that it screws into is in fair shape so maybe I don't absolutely need to replace it, but I really should.
2008 base 1.8L 285k
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I'm just not sure what nut you're referring too, as the transmission pan and drain plug do not have any nuts on them....

If you are referring to the drain plug, which I have put a red arrow pointing to, you can replace JUST this plug. It is a $5 part at your parts store. Unless you totally screwed the threads up on the trans pan that this drain plug goes into, just do the plug and call it a day.
Attachments
Trans Pan.jpg
Trans Pan.jpg (78.84 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

Fwiw, the torque for the transmission drain plug is only 13 ft. lbs. (This is ~1/2 of what the oil drain plug is.)

I suspect that is why some are stripped that tranny plug.
2005 Base - 220k
tjdean01

Post by tjdean01 »

I tried to explain this to my dad and he also couldn't understand. So, I guess I don't be explain' no good! :D

So, a screw or a bolt is the male end. A hole or a nut is female. The transmission pan either has a nut welded to it, or you're actually screwing into the pan itself. Either way, the threads on that female hole/nut/pan itself, are stripped.
2008 base 1.8L 285k
CharlesinGA

Post by CharlesinGA »

Hate to bump this up but thanks for the thread. I was actually looking for the GM to Toyota p/n cross reference which I thought I saved on my computer years ago, but cannot find it. I joined the forum in 2011 but have not participated alot.

Changing the motor oil, new brake pads and the trans fluid and the trans fluid pan stripped the threads while torquing. Its the metal of the pan punched inward and threaded so it is very weak and I change the fluid every 10 thousand miles, same time I change the engine oil. Am at 240K now. Mine is an early '04 model FWD only. Fancy trim with painted wheel well fairings and such, red metallic. It just runs. There is no filter in the transmission so I have always changed the fluid every oil change since I bought the car at 49K miles. Amsoil ATF and 5W-30 motor oil NAPA 47145 Platinum filter (the long one intended for the GT but works fine on the regular engine too. Buy them on sale at the fall filter sale for 40% off.

OK, I'll either get the Toyota dealer to order one, or also check with the GM dealer, they have been pretty good for getting me parts, and may look at Ebay, I need one fairly quick, as my other wheels is a RAM diesel which I don't drive much.

Charles