2009 1.8 engine idle issue

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
neebishis

2009 1.8 engine idle issue

Post by neebishis »

When coming to a complete stop, the idle speed will hold briefly at 1000rpm and then drop to 750/800 rpm. After approx. 10 seconds or so, there seems to be a click and the idle speed will return to 1000rpm......hold that for a few seconds, then return to 750/800 rpm.....will continue to cycle like this as long as it idles. If shifted to neutral or park, this sequence stops, and it idles smoothly. ANY IDEAS ABOUT WHATS CAUSING THIS CONDITION?? Help appreciated!!!
Ken
zbyers

Re: 2009 1.8 engine idle issue

Post by zbyers »

Is the check engine light on? If so, please pull the codes and revert.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

If no codes, I'd consider two things.

1) If you're hearing a click, a relay or mechanical device is probably involved. Does the click appear to come from under the hood, or under the dash? I would try to find the clicking device with a mechanic's stethoscope, then figure out if the device is failing, or getting bad input from the ECM. One possibility could be the IACV.

2) A large load like the A/C compressor is being put on the engine intermittently.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

you wouldn't happen to have your control dial turned to defrost, would you?
neebishis

Post by neebishis »

sorry for the delay people.....been away on a color tour of upper Michigan for the last few days.I want to thank you for the input!!!! The thing that sounds most likely to me is the IACV. I'm going to clean that and the throttle body in the next few days. I"ll get back to you if I discover my problem. Again, I want to thank all of you for your input and consideration!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!
jolt

Post by jolt »

There is no IAVC on a 2009 Vibe. The 2009 Vibe is drive by wire. The idle speed is controlled by the ECM. Clean the throttle body as the butterfly may be sticking in the build up inside the bore. The throttle body should be cleaned about every 30,000 miles as this build up of gunk can load the plastic gears in the throttle body and put more force on the butterfly shaft, which cause extra wear on those parts. If cleaning the throttle body does not work, you want to check all the electrical connections at the throttle body and the ECM. Your gears and/or pots in the throttle body may be worn which could also cause what you are describing.
neebishis

Post by neebishis »

Jolt.....appreciated your post concerning my idle issues. Since then I have removed the throttle body and cleaned the butterfly thoroughly.....no improvement. Considering your comment about gear set wear in the control section, I replaced the throttle body with a used unit which appears to be in good shape ( cleaned this one before installing). Still the same issue. Idle wanders from 1600 to 750 whenever it feels like it. You mention that idle speed is controlled by the ECM ....wiring all looks good, and connections are free of corrosion. Car runs great....just can't decide where to settle on its idle speed. Is the ECM difficult to replace, and with a used replacement, and is there a start up issue which requires special equipment?

After each repair, I have reconnected the battery and gone thru the start up procedure to learn the idle speed. I follow it to the letter with the exception of setting the emer. brake. Having not used the emer. brake for years, I'm reluctant to set it for fear of sticky cables or caliper piston adjuster. Could this have a bearing on my problem?

Back some years ago I owned a 2006 Vibe and later a 2005 Matrix which had known intake manifold gasket issues. I replaced the gaskets on both of them. Seems like I went from black gasket to red, or just the other way around. Is the 2009 1.8 engine known to suffer the same problem?

Any advice will be appreciated!!!!

Ken
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Lack of setting e-brake wouldn't affect the idle re-learn.

The second gen 1.8L is not known to suffer from intake manifold gasket issues.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I'm not so sure about that. I believe we all started with the non-orange-toyota-redesigned intake manifold gasket. I've since replaced mine with the orange one.
jolt

Post by jolt »

I would next clean the mass air flow sensor with mass air flow sensor cleaner. After that, run engine and start spraying all the air intake hoses and connection with throttle body cleaner. Spray all tubing from the mass air flow sensor to the throttle body and then from throttle body to cylinder head. If you hear a change in engine RPM's as you are spray, you may have an air leak at that point. Fix any and all air/vacuum leaks as needed.

Have you changed the PCV valve? Chance that and also check the PCV valve hose and connection for air leaks. Is the throttle shaft tight in the throttle body? Air leaks around the throttle shaft possible? Are you running the defroster or A/C? Could the click you hear be the A/C compressor turning on and off, loading and unloading the engine and making the RPM changes?
neebishis

Post by neebishis »

Thanks again Jolt....I'll be on it tomorrow...too freeking cold today!!
Ken
TerryC

Post by TerryC »

neebishis
Were you able to pinpoint and fix the idle problem? My daughters '04 Vibe is experiencing a similar issue.
Thanks!
TC