Manifold heat shield necessary or not?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Eloi

Manifold heat shield necessary or not?

Post by Eloi »

Hello,

Just had to replace the manifold header on my Vibe 2010, base, 2.4L (227,000 km). But the heating shield was all rusted and could not be put back in place, a new part cost around $250 here in Canada, so the garage told me not to bother with it, that it was not necessary... I'm not so sure about that... Anyone knows if it's safe to drive without the manifold heat shield in the engine?

Thanks.
2009 Vibe (2.4L) - Manual - Red Hot Metallic

Re: Manifold heat shield necessary or not?

Post by 2006 »

$37 at gmpartsdepot.ca. Not sure on delivery charges, or if that is in U.S. $
striker1211

Post by striker1211 »

The top or bottom heat shield? The bottom one keeps grass from catching on fire under the engine while idling for extended periods of time. It will also keep water from splashing up and hitting the manifold and cracking it (possibly). The top one will keep your firewall and hood from getting super hot. It's kind of tacky that the shop did not replace the heat shield on your manifold. Not too familiar with the 2.4L though I have the 1.8L.

[edit]

Just realized the 2.4L is the same as in the camry and the exhaust is in the front... so... trust the mechanic haha...
My Vehicle: 2008 Vibe Moon & Tunes 1.8L ATX
Eloi

Post by Eloi »

Top shield. Yes I gotta trust the shop cause I won't pay more than 250$ to get a damn shield installed...

To 2006, don't know how you get 37$ for the shield. On that site, I get close to 200$...
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

There are three "Exhaust Heat Shield. Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield." listed on that site, with three different part numbers. Judging by the picture on the site and Eloi's description, the one required is the more expensive one.

I believe this heat shield is required for normal operation, and I think you should not use the car without one.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Eloi

Post by Eloi »

SeattleJeremy wrote:There are three "Exhaust Heat Shield. Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield." listed on that site, with three different part numbers. Judging by the picture on the site and Eloi's description, the one required is the more expensive one.

I believe this heat shield is required for normal operation, and I think you should not use the car without one.
Well, as I already spent close to $700 just to get the old manifold removed and then for a used one to get installed, along with a new gasket, I think I'll try to live without the heat shield for the time being, as I don't want to spend another $300 for it along with the installation...
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

FWIW, I know of a couple people who have had aftermarket headers on their 2.4L Vibes/Matrices and they did not re-install the exhaust manifold heat shield and seemingly had no issues. I personally wouldn't risk it, but it's your Vibe not mine.

You could always try finding a used one and painting it or having it powder coated to protect against future corrosion.

Also, GM exhaust manifold heat shield.

Toyota exhaust manifold heat shield.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
OrangeMamba

Post by OrangeMamba »

Hate to rehash this, but I wasn't getting any answers on my question.

How do I get the heat shield off over the sensor? 2006

Thanks!