2009 c59 to c60 swap?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
AHW

2009 c59 to c60 swap?

Post by AHW »

I have a 2009 Vibe 1.8L manual 5 speed (c59) can I swap it for a 6 speed (c60) ? I'm having trouble finding a C59 an thought a c60 would work.
Capt.Vibe

Re: 2009 c59 to c60 swap?

Post by Capt.Vibe »

I just answered in your other thread. Unless you plan on changing the ECM and software I doubt you can drop a 6-speed transmission without confusing the ECU which will throw a code. There should be no problem finding a C59, just make sure it's from a 2009 and above as the prior years had plastic iput shaft bearings prone to failure. And don't use the GM recommended transmission fluid, use SAE straight 75W GL-4 gearbox oil.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Unless the computers in the 2nd gens have different sensors on their transmissions, I don't think the ECU will be the problem here, given that the C59 and C60s that bolt to the ZZ engines have different axles (which you don't have to swap) and that's it. They won't cause codes in those isntances, so unless someone has confirmed the 2nd gen ECUs care about the manual transmissions, I see no reason it would be different here.

I'm seeing no evidence that the C59 used from 2009 onward and the C59 from the previous years are cross-compatible between the ZZ and ZR families. I haven't seen any salvage listings that suggest the 2009+ C59s when I search for 03-08 Vibe or Matrix transmissions. I can't tell you whether it's a different bellhousing or what.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
VibesGuy

Post by VibesGuy »

New to the forum, but I thought I would put in my 2¢.
The c60 does in fact bolt right up and drives without any issues. Even kept the same axles, however I was told the axles in the 6 speed are longer, but the shorter ones appear to do just fine. That being said, I am having one issue and it's with the speed sensor, I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not the transmission speed sensor out of a c59 will work in a c60. The part numbers for each are the same but the 6 Speed I bought came out of an 03 matrix and it just had a plug where the speed sensor went. So I pulled the one out of the c59 and put it in the c60 and I still have no speedometer. It is worth mentioning that when I pulled the transmission out I broke the plug that went into the sensor because I forgot to disconnect it before I dropped the tranny and I'm unsure if my wiring is correct because the plug came out of a corolla and the wires are not the same color. The harness is red W/ white, white W/ green, and brown and the plug is white W/ blue on one side, red W/ white in the middle and then red W/ blue on the other side. Anyone know off hand how those two match up? Or how I might go about using a multi meter to find out?
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

I looked into this before. The highest gear ratio ends up being exactly the same. So you don't gain an overdrive. You just shift more. Get the 6 speed from a 2014 Corolla. That transmission will drop the RPMs a bit on the highway. It's also a direct bolt in.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

grab the 6 speed from the new corolla....1.8's are the same..
Paragon900

Post by Paragon900 »

I'm looking at doing the same thing, have a 2009 1.8 liter 2ZR motor vibe with a dead five speed (input shaft bearing). There are tons of people swapping the 1st gen transmissions, but this is the first thread I've found on here about someone doing a 6-speed swap into a 5-speed 2nd gen vibe.

In my case the donor car is a 2015 corolla with the 2XRFE engine. Parts comparability lookup says this also works on corollas with the 2ZRFE engine.

From what I've read in this thread and others, this "should" bolt right in to the 2009 vibe in place of the 5-speed, reusing the vibe clutch, axles, shift linkages, etc, with no computer / electrical issues. Can anyone confirm that this swap was indeed successful?