Transmission Help

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
timsdiecast

Transmission Help

Post by timsdiecast »

I've been a member on here for about 4 years, but haven't posted recently, but now I find myself in desperate need of some transmission info. I have a 2006 AWD Vibe with 175,000. Since I bought my first 2003 AWD Vibe brand new I'm now on my 4th and 5th AWD Vibe I currently own. Any way, I was on the freeway, and all of a sudden it sounded and felt like I hit an IED, but unfortunately that IED was my trans exploding. I had the trans filter and fluid replace at a 100,000 miles. My question is what do I need I need to about Vibe transmissions before I buy an used one. A guy on Craig's List has a 4 speed automatic, but he's telling me it's for a 2003 through 2005. Is this right? I can't use this trans in my 2006? How many versions of a 4 speed automatic did they use in the Vibe. What years can I use for my 2006 AWD? Thanks for your help in advance.
Caretaker

Re: Transmission Help

Post by Caretaker »

While I'm not a mechanic, you should be able to get one out of a Corolla for that matter. Toyota has been serving us that same tranny for decades. I doubt you will have any trouble finding one, and yes, I do believe the person is dead wrong about the year restriction he is posting on his used transmission.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

You may want to buy the used trans-axle from a junkyard which will include a warranty. I'm guessing an AWD Vibe requires an AWD tranny.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

What Chiadog said. It's best to get it from one that's been rearended to death.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
trb

Post by trb »

Look on www.car-part.com It takes one from only an 03-06 AWD Vibe or Matrix. Looks like some run between $450 and $800 for used in MI, and $1400 for a rebuilt one.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car