Proper Exedy Clutch Replacement for 2008 Vibe 1.8L?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Deke

Proper Exedy Clutch Replacement for 2008 Vibe 1.8L?

Post by Deke »

Hi Everyone,
New member here... although I've been skimming the posts for a while looking for answers.

I have a 2008 Vibe 5 Speed manual, with 1ZZFE 1.8L engine, and about 87000 miles.

My clutch has been slipping for the past month, and last week, it seems like it blew up totally while exiting the Holland tunnel from NYC. I was totally stuck, with no forward or reverse ability whatsoever.

First question: Do you think my Transmission is fried at this point? I was planning to replace the clutch before this happened, but now I'm not sure if I should start looking for a used 6 Speed as well... There is absolutely NO forward or reverse movement in any gear now. It may as well be in neutral.

Second question: and I'm surprised I haven't found any posts on GenVibe about this: Searching online for replacement clutches, I found a whole bunch of differing specs on which is the PROPER OEM clutch replacement for this car. It seems there is a lot of bad information - even clutch dealers and Exedy themselves seem to have wrong information on their websites! This is hard to believe, and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

There are TWO different models of Exedy OEM clutches that, depending on what website you look at, that are listed as the proper replacement:

1) Exedy OEM Model Number KTY-03 is listed as fitting the Pontiac Vibe 5 speed from years 2003-2006. Nothing is listed for any year after 2006.
Disk size of this clutch is 210mm (8.25 inches) with a 21 spline teeth and a spline diameter of 1 inch.

2) Exedy OEM TKY-1501 is listed as fitting the Toyota Matrix from model years 2003-2006, and also 2008.
Disk size for this clutch is 213mm (8 3/8 inches) - and it has a 21 T spline with a diameter of 15/16 inch.

I called Exedy yesterday and spoke with a tech rep. He said the TKY-1501 clutch is the one to use. But on eBay and many other sites, they list this as NOT compatible.
Other sites (if they list the clutch specs at all) are divided between the 8.25" diameter/ 1" spline - and the 8 3/8" diameter and the 15/16" spline.

Various eBay Dealers list different clutches as "correct" and Gripforce lists the TKY-1501 as fitting a 2005-2008 Toyota Corolla ONLY. They recommend the KTY-03 clutch as fitting the Vibe 2003-06, but have NOTHING listed for 2008 MODELS...

This SEEMS to me to be a very important difference... I can't believe that the manufacturers and dealers are so laid back about the problem... or IS it a problem?

Can anyone tell me what is going on with this? I don't know who to believe now!

Thanks,
Deke
KITT222

Re: Proper Exedy Clutch Replacement for 2008 Vibe 1.8L?

Post by KITT222 »

Welcome to GenVibe! The clutch for the 03-06 may be for the Vibe GT with the 2ZZ-GE engine. Monkey Wrench Racing does nothing but the 1ZZ/2ZZ engine (mostly) and specialize in the Corolla/Matrix/MR2/Celica/Elise. Here's a link to the Exedy Stage 1 clutch they have listed for the 1ZZ engine.

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... ts_id=1265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd wait to see if your transmission is fried or if it is just a clutch at this point. The 03/04 models were the ones with the bad 5-speeds, and they fixed it in 05. Just try the clutch and if everything looks okay, give it a try.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

it's more likely that a springs from the clutch disc is come out if the clutch was that worn

I would contact Garm or Jeff at microimageonline.com call or email for a price...they can usually beat others prices
Deke

Post by Deke »

KITT222 wrote:Welcome to GenVibe! The clutch for the 03-06 may be for the Vibe GT with the 2ZZ-GE engine. Monkey Wrench Racing does nothing but the 1ZZ/2ZZ engine (mostly) and specialize in the Corolla/Matrix/MR2/Celica/Elise. Here's a link to the Exedy Stage 1 clutch they have listed for the 1ZZ engine.

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... ts_id=1265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd wait to see if your transmission is fried or if it is just a clutch at this point. The 03/04 models were the ones with the bad 5-speeds, and they fixed it in 05. Just try the clutch and if everything looks okay, give it a try.
Hi KITT,
Thanks for your quick response.

I checked the clutch for the Vibe GT/ Matrix XRS with 6 speed, and it was listed as an Exedy KTY-14, with a 210mm diameter and a 1" spline (21T), so because it has a different model number I don't think the confusion is because of the 1ZZ/2ZZ difference... What is weird is that Exedy lists the TKY1501 as fitting the Matrix from 2003-2008, but has different part numbers for the Vibe (with different diameters and spline diameters).

Can anyone clear this up? Are the Vibe and Matrix somehow DIFFERENT in their drivetrains?

Right now, it seems like some people must have installed either of two different size clutches in their cars... I don't KNOW that it makes a difference, but with the spline diameter being 1/16" larger or smaller, it seems like there may be problems, down the road if not immediately upon trying to install. Is there any way to check somewhere to see what the Pontiac specs call for?

Thanks,
Deke
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

The Matrix and Vibe are totally identical in the drivetrain. Only reason for different P/N could be so a guy with a Vibe doesn't get a clucth that says is for a Toyota. Even if they are the same clutch. However, the 1ZZ-FE engine is not the same as the 2ZZ-GE. 1ZZ has around 130hp, while the 2ZZ is the more powerful, 180hp motor, which needs a heavier-duty clutch to put the power through to the transmission.
Deke

Post by Deke »

Thanks Kitt and TheBarber for your ideas...

It seems like most parts websites list the 8 3/8" diameter clutch with the 15/16" spline diameter for the Matrix 5 speed, so I guess I'll go with those specs for my Vibe.
I don't know what the 8.25" with 1" spline is for, other than maybe for the GT?

KITT, I went on Monkeywrenchracing.com, and they list the same clutch for both 1ZZ and 2ZZ (ST-1 Stock replacement) - only they don't give the specs or Exedy Model number for it so I don't know which clutch it is they are recommending...

If anyone knows why there is so much discrepancy around this clutch issue for the Vibe, I'd really be interested in learning why. And I'd also love to hear about anyone that installed either of these two model clutches - has anyone had trouble because the clutch wasn't the correct match?

Anyway, hopefully the clutch I get works correctly.

Thanks,
Deke
Raven

Post by Raven »

KTY03 for the 1ZZFE 5 speed. I'll be buying one in the spring. $110 shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exedy-KTY03-Clu ... 0a&vxp=mtr

KTY14 for the 2ZZGE 6 speed. Vibe GT
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Deke wrote:KITT, I went on Monkeywrenchracing.com, and they list the same clutch for both 1ZZ and 2ZZ (ST-1 Stock replacement) - only they don't give the specs or Exedy Model number for it so I don't know which clutch it is they are recommending...
If the splines and diameters are the same, then use the heavier clutch, it won't hurt anything and will be more stout for any upgrades. That's why MWR sells only one clutch, why sell a weaker clutch when those visiting your site are most likely upping there power levels. the stock 1zz clutch is okay for commuters, not anyone looking to actually drive the car, it's a bit flimsy.
Deke

Post by Deke »

Raven wrote:KTY03 for the 1ZZFE 5 speed. I'll be buying one in the spring. $110 shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exedy-KTY03-Clu ... 0a&vxp=mtr

KTY14 for the 2ZZGE 6 speed. Vibe GT
Hi Raven,
Thanks for your reply...
This is precisely where the confusion comes in:
If you go on that eBay page, and input 2008 Pontiac Vibe (or a Toyota Matrix 2008 for that matter) it says the part is NOT compatible with those models/years.
If you dig around on the Exedy website (http://www.exedyusa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and look up that clutch KTY-03, you will see that the clutch diameter is listed at 8 1/4 inches and the spline diameter is 1 inch even.
In my research, it seems the right clutch (for the 2008 at least) has a clutch diameter of 8 3/8 inches and a spline diameter of 15/16 inch.
But this same clutch TYK-1501, id said to work with ALL Toyota Matrix models from 2003-2008.

You might say "what's the problem - it's only a fraction of an inch difference... " but a 1/16 inch difference in the main spline diameter sounds like a lot to me.

Best,
Deke
Deke

Post by Deke »

hotbug1776 wrote:
Deke wrote:KITT, I went on Monkeywrenchracing.com, and they list the same clutch for both 1ZZ and 2ZZ (ST-1 Stock replacement) - only they don't give the specs or Exedy Model number for it so I don't know which clutch it is they are recommending...
If the splines and diameters are the same, then use the heavier clutch, it won't hurt anything and will be more stout for any upgrades. That's why MWR sells only one clutch, why sell a weaker clutch when those visiting your site are most likely upping there power levels. the stock 1zz clutch is okay for commuters, not anyone looking to actually drive the car, it's a bit flimsy.
Hi Hotbug,
Thanks for your thoughts... I agree, the heavier duty clutch is better, all other things being equal.
But the problem is, the splines and clutch diameter are NOT the same... Some websites say you need an 8.25" diameter clutch with a 1 inch spline, while other websites say the right clutch is 8 3/8 inch and spline diameter is 15/16 inch.
This is driving me crazy - it depends on who you want to believe. But in my opinion, a 1/16" spline diameter difference is NOT something to just ignore... There must be a right size, and so, a wrong size.
If I am wrong here, PLEASE help me understand what is going on with this!!!

Thanks,
Deke
Raven

Post by Raven »

Try calling the GM dealer parts department. Perhaps they have the specs in their data base.
Actually, now that I think about it, I believe the OEM clutch is made by Exedy.

From what I can find 8 3/8; Inner Diam : 15/16; TEETH : 21T is correct.
Deke

Post by Deke »

Raven wrote:Try calling the GM dealer parts department. Perhaps they have the specs in their data base.
Actually, now that I think about it, I believe the OEM clutch is made by Exedy.

From what I can find 8 3/8; Inner Diam : 15/16; TEETH : 21T is correct.
Hi Raven,
Thanks for that idea. It seems like it should have solved the mystery, but unfortunately, the dealer parts department didn't have any specs in their system - they could only give me the GM part numbers. After spending a few hours last night searching for some kind of part number cross-reference, I finally gave up.

I think I will try the Toyota Matrix clutch (TYK 1501) but that leaves me wondering if you will do the same when you order your new clutch... According to Exedy, the Matrix 1ZZFE with 5 speed manual trans takes the same part number for 2003-2008. So, if KITT222 is correct that Matrix and Vibes have identical drivetrains, you might want to think about whether the KTY-03 is right for everyone with a 2003-08 1ZZFE 5 speed.

Best,
Deke
Raven

Post by Raven »

I have an '06 and the part # is the same for Matrix or Vibe. KTY03 They seem to have changed in 2007.
FYI The flywheel will most likely need to be machined or replaced. If the clutch has been slipping, a lot of heat is generated.
Deke

Post by Deke »

Raven wrote:I have an '06 and the part # is the same for Matrix or Vibe. KTY03 They seem to have changed in 2007.
FYI The flywheel will most likely need to be machined or replaced. If the clutch has been slipping, a lot of heat is generated.
Yeah, I'm going to get a new flywheel, thanks.
Don't want to flog a dead horse, but I went on some more GM sites, and from what I see, the Vibe 1.8 with 5 speed trans uses the same clutch from 2003-2008.
(This confirms what Exedy says about the Toyota Matrix 5 speed clutch)

It supposedly is the 6 speed trans that only goes from 2003-2006.
Here's one site if you are interested:
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly ... ct=3095197" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On their parts diagram, they show two different clutches, along with the same throwout bearing and fork. Unfortunately, they don't list dimensions...
You may want to call Exedy yourself and get their recommendation before ordering.

I wish someone who has done a clutch replacement on a 5 speed Vibe would chime in here...
Best,
Deke
Raven

Post by Raven »

OK Thanks
I have a couple of months to research this. When I figure it all out, I'll post it here.
Deke

Post by Deke »

For whoever is interested:
I called Exedy yet again today and spoke with a tech rep (Steve) who admitted their website database has errors that haven't been fixed yet.

The proper Exedy OEM clutch for a Pontiac Vibe 2003-2008 with 5 speed trans and 1.8L engine is TYK1501,even though their website says it's not correct.
The KTY03 is for the 6 speed GT model, 2003-2006.
The KTY14 is probably the same clutch as the KYY03 - I don't know if there are any differences.

Don't trust me though. Call Exedy USA at 800 346-6091 and ask for tech support. And you might suggest they fix their website soon!
I've wasted a week just trying to find the right clutch for my car!

If you get different answers please post them here. I'm going to order the TYK1501 and hopefully it fits!
Best,
Deke
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Deke wrote:For whoever is interested:
I called Exedy yet again today and spoke with a tech rep (Steve) who admitted their website database has errors that haven't been fixed yet.

The proper Exedy OEM clutch for a Pontiac Vibe 2003-2008 with 5 speed trans and 1.8L engine is TYK1501,even though their website says it's not correct.
The KTY03 is for the 6 speed GT model, 2003-2006.
The KTY14 is probably the same clutch as the KYY03 - I don't know if there are any differences.

Don't trust me though. Call Exedy USA at 800 346-6091 and ask for tech support. And you might suggest they fix their website soon!
I've wasted a week just trying to find the right clutch for my car!

If you get different answers please post them here. I'm going to order the TYK1501 and hopefully it fits!
Best,
Deke
check Amazon and Rockauto...
the KTY03 is listed as fitting a base 2004 Vibe 210mm Dia. 21t. spline 1" major dia.
the KYT1500 is listed for the 2004 GT Vibe 210mm Dia. 21t. spline 1" major dia.
the KTY14 is listed for the 2004 GT Vibe 210mm Dia. 21t. spline 1" major dia.

By this info, I'm going to believe the clutches are all the same and the least you would get would be the base model rated unit. Therefore, IMO I would get the KTY14
Deke

Post by Deke »

To wrap this thread up...I ordered and installed the Exedy TYK1501 clutch kit with 15/16 inch spline diameter. :D .
It feels like it fits correctly - there was no slop on the transmission shaft and the disk slides easily and smooth.
I don't think this would have been the case with a 1 inch spline diameter clutch. But would it work? Maybe, can't say if it would strip the splines because of too much play between the clutch disk and shaft.
I don't want to experiment myself - I'm just happy it worked. This was a bear of a job to do.
For all people with earlier years of the Base Vibe with C59/MK5 trans, please do some research before ordering. It sounds crazy, but a LOT of online dealers and websites seem to have the wrong info.

Good luck!
Deke