Clutch is out but now I am worried

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
wolphcry

Clutch is out but now I am worried

Post by wolphcry »

Thanks for the help guys. I have the transmission out and on the ground. The clutch is off but now I'm worried.
I bought this car because the clutch was out. I knew this getting into it, but he just told me he had done the clutch only 5 months ago and it is already gone. I've done one other clutch and it worked perfect for a good 20k+ and then I sold that truck without a problem. I'm just not sure what he did so wrong to cause this fast of failure?

I'm guessing this clutch had less then 2,000 miles on it. He did not have the flywheel redone or replace the throw out bearing. :? Not the brightest bulb. But still his loss, my gain.
Any ideas what he did wrong that would cause such fast failure?

Also I found several bolts way too lose or missing :(

The ultimate kicker is when I saw he did not replace the seal going from the passenger side drive shaft to the engine, but instead used a radiator clamp, plastic / silicon to try to make one… arrg But still for only $1,000 with new tires and a smooth running engine, the clutch job is worth the work.

I added photos. Does anyone know what that metal string stuff is? What's left of the clutch? Found several peaces around the clutch. :?:
mac99d

Re: Clutch is out but now I am worried

Post by mac99d »

Not even sure how all that happened....looks as if the shaft was not installed properly and I don't even know how you destroy one side of the clutch. Is the shaft the throw-out bearing smooth or with no groves on it.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

wolphcry wrote: He did not have the flywheel redone or replace the throw out bearing.
I think you answered your own question! Replace the flywheel with a new one and obviously replace ALL components that wear. I'd look closely at the silicone smeared case for damage.
wolphcry

Post by wolphcry »

Looks like the clutch was just flawed or he did not get it back together right. Given everything else would not surprise me.
I forgot one photo that showed the "junk" left around the clutch.

wolphcry

Post by wolphcry »

Would this kit work for my 6speed GT? http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-16800-Racin ... uctDetails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;