Head bolts stripping out of the block? Please Help.

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
carlr

Head bolts stripping out of the block? Please Help.

Post by carlr »

I have a 2003 Vibe GT it has the 2zzge engine in it. The tensioner broke and smashed the valves etc etc. Anyways i am having a hard time getting anyone to work on this because supposedly they are notorious for stripping the threads out of the block when you re-torque the head. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just here say. If this is a problem what was the fix? I Dont see how buying another block is going to be a fix, if the block i purchase has weak threads also!! I am at my witts end with this car. It has been a fantastic car since we bought it without any problems and putting a new/remanufactured engine in it would't make much sense i think because the engine is worth more than the car? Any help would be appreciated Thanks.
star_deceiver

Re: Head bolts stripping out of the block? Please Help.

Post by star_deceiver »

I can imagine that the bolts gall up the aluminum block quite nicely. The fix would be to drill the bolt holes and tap to the next size up... if there's space to do that and you'd have to drill the cylinder head bolt holes out a little bigger and possibly countersink. Or you can pony up the dough and buy another engine.... or a new car...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
hotbug1776

Re: Head bolts stripping out of the block? Please Help.

Post by hotbug1776 »

Have whatever machine shop you use Heli-coil the head. they drill, tap, and put steel inserts in the aluminum holes so they should never strip out again. It's not an expensive thing to have done for a large amount of insurance.