New Cosmo CAI

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
bassplayaz06

New Cosmo CAI

Post by bassplayaz06 »

finally got done with the intake last night. took forever to figure it out. liking it so far.
2003 Vibe GT, 1.8L, 6 speed Manual Lava Red 2 tone18" sport edition rimsCosmo CAIMy Garage http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42483
lovemyraffe

Re: New Cosmo CAI (bassplayaz06)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Glad you got it in.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

hope you like it.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
bassplayaz06

Re: New Cosmo CAI (keithvibe)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

the install was a pain in the (removed) but i got it in and it's nice to have that cold air.
2003 Vibe GT, 1.8L, 6 speed Manual Lava Red 2 tone18" sport edition rimsCosmo CAIMy Garage http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42483
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Stupid question, did you happen to oil the filter? The cosmo filters don't come pre-oiled.Your next purchace should be a K&N oiling/cleaning kit.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Cruxless

Re: New Cosmo CAI (keithvibe)

Post by Cruxless »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »Stupid question, did you happen to oil the filter? The cosmo filters don't come pre-oiled.Your next purchace should be a K&N oiling/cleaning kit.From what I know, Cosmo filters aren't made to be oiled. Congrats. If I were you I would purchase a better filter and use the Cosmo filter as a back up for when it's time to clean the other filter. I suggest getting an AEM Dryflow for three reasons:1. It's easy to clean2. You don't have to oil it.3. No oiling means no likelyhood of screwing up your MAF Sensor from over oiling.
bassplayaz06

Re: New Cosmo CAI (Cruxless)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

I already have a K&N oil kit from the drop in filters we have on other cars. and i wanted to put the blue spectre filter in there, but it was too big. the cosmo stuff didn't say anything about the filter.
Serj22

Post by Serj22 »

Instead of that little piece that you put at the end from inside the bumper, buy a 90 degree piece for $8.00 from spectre, and put it in the sleeve instead. It is 1/2" too big in diameter but the cuff will stretch, point the inlet end at the front left wheel (towards the back of the car) Then you will be able to fit any size filter you want, even the large "poweradder" filters by spectre. My cosmo is now graced with a full-sized cone instead of that junky cosmo filter. I popped out my MAF after installing that cosmo one and it was dirty as ever, I can imagine it let way more junk into the engine, so I replaced it that way. Try that out instead. I'll get some pictures for you, and that will allow you to re-use the spectre filter you had, just need to shell out $8.00 more.
Pioneer HU2 x D3tAK tweeters in stock location (M&T)4 x Diamond Audio D162.5i1 x Pioneer TS-W309S4 SubPolk Audio Pa330 (To drive Sub)
bassplayaz06

Re: New Cosmo CAI (Serj22)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

i've already got the 45 degree angle piece. i'll check it out tomorrow.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Much better!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Serj22

Post by Serj22 »

Needs to be 90* to clear the fog light hole, has to be. the 45* is pretty much what it came with.
Pioneer HU2 x D3tAK tweeters in stock location (M&T)4 x Diamond Audio D162.5i1 x Pioneer TS-W309S4 SubPolk Audio Pa330 (To drive Sub)
Herb

Post by Herb »

I suppose you could cut down the lower segment that comes with the Cosmo. I trimmed 4" off to allow me to use this AEM dryflow filter:
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
Serj22

Re: (Herb)

Post by Serj22 »

You could cut the piece, but I also tried jamming the K&N and Spectre on further and they still didn't fit. These are about the size of the dryflow you have (and looking at your pics, it seems removing the headlight would have made fitment way easier, but I did the whole thing by reaching under the radiator from the top). I first tried the normal pipe with the large cone, and that didn't fit no matter what you do, it just hits the fog light or the wiring harness clip for the fog light, or the frame. Pointing it forward makes it gouge the foam bumper out, but I didn't want to cut into the foam. So, I went and got an $8.00 90* piece which allows it to point towards the back of the car, and this filter is twice the size of the supplied one, so it just barely cleared and is pointing at the wheel well, and as you can see, almost plugs the airspace to the engine bay (not really but you see my point on the size). The 90* bend is harsh but it doesn't matter much since it's at the intake side of the pipe, everything else is smooth from there. The only modification you must do to do this, is stretch the cuff or buy an adapter, the stretched cuff feels more secure than the adapted one, so I went with that (since the new filter is much heavier). And you need to add some height to the damping post to allow the bend to hit the hole right.
bassplayaz06

Re: (Herb)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

thanks to Herb and Serj22 for the ideas, I put the spectre tube i have on the end of the intake, and put on the filter. fits great and is much better than than crappy cosmo filter.
Serj22

Re: (bassplayaz06)

Post by Serj22 »

Did you use the cuff that came with the cosmo or did you get an adapter? The pic is very shiny in that spot so I can't tell. The original cuff worked great for me and it feels super secure. You can tell now the weight difference of the new filter and how it needs to be uber secure right? I'm wondering if all the CAI's for this car have the 2 3/4" pipe or if it's just the cheap cosmo, but a pipe, is a pipe, is a pipe. Filter's going to make the difference.
bassplayaz06

Re: (Serj22)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

i had it have a tight enough fit to where it didn't need a cuff on it. i wanted to put one, but the 2 i have wont fit. i cut 4 slits perpendicular to eachother so it could flex inwards and secure a tight fit on the tube. i have all the hose clamps pretty tight so it's all secure.
BLACKEDOUTVIB

Post by BLACKEDOUTVIB »

i have a cosmo CAI also and i didnt oil it and i kept the cosmo filter on there. it seems to do just finei have a noise that comes from it though that sounds like it sucks for air sometimes
BLACKEDOUTVIB04 Abyss Vibe 5 spdCosmo Racing Cold Air Intake Custom Cat-back Exhaust20% Tint All AroundAlpine Head Unit, Eclipse 800w Amp, 2 12" subs ported/neon. Carbon Fiber Shift Knob
bassplayaz06

Re: (BLACKEDOUTVIB)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

yeah, that cosmo filter sucks. the spectre i have on there right now is cleanable and re-oilable. much bigger and creates a better vortex effect.