Inexpensive air/fuel gauage help ??

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Sull

Inexpensive air/fuel gauage help ??

Post by Sull »

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive air/fuel gauge, something I can even hide away in my vibe, something digital that I could potentially hide in one of the compartments would be great. Anyone have any ideas ??Thanks
Tein S-Tech | Tokico HP Struts | Kyowa KR-210 18x7.5 | Kumho Ecsta Spt 225/40/18Magnaflow Cat-Back | K&N Intake | Camcon | Tint 50% Fronts 5% Rear | TWM Short Shifter
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Hi,Scangauge is your answer, multi-funcitonal plus acts as a code puller when you need the info.Order the additionally wire and wire you gauge into your dash so you don't have a portable wire draping over everything. The extra wire will allow you to use the gauge as a diagnostic tool on other cars you may own or help friends out with pulling codes.http://www.scangauge.com/Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Check out Amazon also, they occasionally have a better price on the scangauge
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
Sull

Post by Sull »

Interesting. Though I don't see anywhere it says that it will do my air/fuel ratio and that's all I am looking for .... ?? Correct me if I am wrong ??
Tein S-Tech | Tokico HP Struts | Kyowa KR-210 18x7.5 | Kumho Ecsta Spt 225/40/18Magnaflow Cat-Back | K&N Intake | Camcon | Tint 50% Fronts 5% Rear | TWM Short Shifter
BlueCrush

Re: (Sull)

Post by BlueCrush »

Look for a NGK AFK Wideband on Ebay. Also, someone on MO was selling one a month or two ago.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Sull

Post by Sull »

OK I think I see what your saying now. Still a little confused here though.. So I need to purchase the Scangauage II and from there I can find the X-Gauge command for air/fuel on my vehicle, then it would show up without buying any other pieces ??
djkeev

Re: Inexpensive air/fuel gauage help ?? (Sull)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by Sull »I am looking for a relatively inexpensive air/fuel gauge, something I can even hide away in my vibe, something digital that I could potentially hide in one of the compartments would be great. Anyone have any ideas ??ThanksHi, your original post (above) wasn't asking for fuel mixture ratio's. The gauge I posted will tell you temperatures and basic fuel usage information.I really don't know of a gauge that is going to show you that. I guess you could wire a gauge into your O2 sensor and from that determine your fuel mixture and how it is burning. People do use crude O2 sensor / voltmeter set ups to sniff exhaust on older cars and make carb adjustments based on the resulting voltage, isn't hard to make but also nothing fancy. You could purchase an adapter to pull the info in your OBDII port to your laptop such as this one.http://www.obd2allinone.com/ Depending upon the software you download or purchase you can then access virtually all of the information that your car generates to run. There are variations in what is displayed depending upon your model and year.You need a laptop and possibly a 12v power plug depending on how long you wish to use it when driving the car.While there is free software online it overall is pretty basic and designed for the shade tree mechanic to pull codes and get basic operational information. You can purchase software (often spendy, $1,000's) that will allow you to play with the car's computer settings but unless you know what you are doing, I'd leave that feature well enough alone.Good LuckDave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

And yes, the Xgauge feature does tell you a lot of information, it is part of the new Scangauge II if you should purchase one.http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdfDave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
BlueCrush

Re: Inexpensive air/fuel gauage help ?? (djkeev)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by djkeev »Hi, your original post (above) wasn't asking for fuel mixture ratio's. The gauge I posted will tell you temperatures and basic fuel usage information.Actually, he WAS asking for a gauge that show's A/F Ratio's. That is what an Air/Fuel gauge does. the ScanGauge will not do what you are wanting, Sull. You will need a wideband A/F that can show you the A/F ratio's for tuning your Camcon.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

Scangauge DOES NOT have a port for an o2 sensor input therefor it doesn't show afr. If you want an afr for tuning or just to have pick up any of the wideband sensors and gauges commonly available they usually come as a set.Manufacturers that make widebands:NGK, Innovate, autometer, aem, fjo, zeitronix, etc.The innovate is $259 and is one of the better ones you can get for fairly cheap. I've heard to stay away from the aem.Expect to spend around 200 or more.
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
Sull

Post by Sull »

Yes exactly I need my air/fuel ratio! Looking at the Scangauge II X-Gauage pdf it lists a code which works with GM vehicles for air/fuel ratio, now I don't know if it can read my vehicle.Take a look at the X-Gauge PDF. It would be really nice if the scangauge could because it looks to be a nice unit which all those numbers it gives you....Guys I have seen some gauges but not sure which exactly and what is involved with installing them, I would prefer something hidden or sleek .... I dunno whats your thoughts on the scangauge... actually doing afr with those codes......
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

What exactly do you need it for unless you decide to go turbo? If it's hidden then you basically would only use it for tuning which wouldn't net you much in gains anyways? Please enlighten me on why you want/need this?
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
Sull

Post by Sull »

Yeah basically just like BlueCrush said, I would like to have it for tuning my camcon. ( tuning A/F )I would just prefer to not have a big gauge cluster, a little digital gauge like the scangauge would be more appropriate for my needs honestly
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

Ah ok, then you will be spending 250 to net what, 5hp? I would just pay the same and have someone tune that thing on a dyno.
Sull

Re: (wyatt89)

Post by Sull »

Yeah seems logical enough. Not even sure if we have a dyno in town or not. I'm sure they charge out the nose.... + dyno is good for tuning cam as well .. blah your probably right, why waste the cash...
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

Didn't see your location. If you don't have anyplace that can tune, then sure, you can do it with a wideband, just make sure you err on the rich side. Nobody wants to melt a piston
Sull

Post by Sull »

Is there a way to get around installing a sensor and just using the sensor installed, tap into it or what ever ?? or different type of sensor ....?!Seems installing the sensor would be the hardest part.
boomermsu

Re: (Sull)

Post by boomermsu »

Look into the Prosport gauges!http://prosportgauges.com/wide....aspxWideband Digital Air Fuel Ration Kit in either Blue LCD or Amber LCD
Kevin - 2003 Frosty White Vibe (266,000 miles and counting) - 18'S/Tint/Hitch
Michigan State University Racing Club Forums - Co-founder and ex-president
kevera

Re: (boomermsu)

Post by kevera »

Someone knows what he's talking about^^^^.Prosport is the best bang for your buck when it comes to gauges.Stay away from the innovate,they have heater problems with their 02 sensors.AEM,Zeitronix,PLX and NGK are all decent ones also.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Sull

Re:

Post by Sull »

Thanks guys! I think I am going to go with something like the NGK digital one, I can just tuck it away somewhere.... just don't want any new gauges ya..Well gonna wait until my Camcon comes in and I have some more money haha Oh yeah do I need to get someone to weld in the nub with threads that the sensor screws into ?? ( think that's how they hook up )
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

It's called a bung and yes, it only costs about 40 bucks to buy the bung and have it welded in (at least the guy that I know who does exhaust work)Also that prosport would be useless for an e85 tune since it stops at 10:1 not that he will ever see his that rich