Poor Man's Complete Performance Mod Guide for the 1ZZ-FE(Vib

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
B4snake

Post by B4snake »

I know a lot of people brought up underdriving the 2zz but what about the 1zz... is it still a bad idea?
joholste

Re: (B4snake)

Post by joholste »

there were only problems with the 2zz and underdriving. i think if i remember it was the oil pump or something?
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
B4snake

Post by B4snake »

and what are the benefits of underdriving?
joholste

Re: (B4snake)

Post by joholste »

underdrive pulleys release horsepower that the engine uses to crank the alternator, they don't make any horsepower, they just basically adjust where current horses are being used, since they are lighter weight and smaller it takes less energy to turn them so that energy may be used elsewhere.
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
THE VIBERATOR

Re: (joholste)

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

Yep. Basically if you dynoed the car with and without the underdrive pulley you'll be able to tell exactly how much horsepower the pulley freed up.
2003 Vibe Base - Sold2005 Corolla LE 5 speedcustom short ram air box6k HID kitIn memoriam of the Vibe, may you rest in peace:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3168634
BlueCrush

Re: Poor Man's Complete Performance Mod Guide for the 1ZZ-FE(Vibe Base & ... (BlueCrush)

Post by BlueCrush »

I updated all pricing, links and pictures in the first post. Hopefully people are getting some use out of this. I have virtually eveything on this list:Intake: GM Supercharger intake tube (quieter than a CAI or SRI, but an increase in hp and tq over stock)TB Spacer: Helix Power Tower PlusMuffler: Custom 2-1/4" exhaust (With Flowmaster Hushpower II and Walker Profit Mufflers)Pulleys: OEM Sized OBX Lightweight Alternator Pulley (same as the UR) & OEM Sized Lightweight Alutec Crank PulleyPerformance Chip: Power Enterprise CamconMy car is running awesome!!!! Great acceleration thru entire RPM range! sounds great too! I highly recommend following this list of mods if you are looking to get the most out of your mods for the least amount of money while staying natural aspiration.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
kevera

Re: Poor Man's Complete Performance Mod Guide for the 1ZZ-FE(Vibe Base & ... (BlueCrush)

Post by kevera »

B....I think you should add a few to the list.eManage,Utimate,blue and V-manageCat-back exhaust,axle-backLink to Throttle-body portingMaybe list headers.Most can be had for under $350More things have become available over the last little bit.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
THE VIBERATOR

Re: Poor Man's Complete Performance Mod Guide for the 1ZZ-FE(Vibe Base & ... (kevera)

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

Agreed with Kevera. We all appreciate anything you can give us to make our searches a bit easier. Keep up the good work B!
2003 Vibe Base - Sold2005 Corolla LE 5 speedcustom short ram air box6k HID kitIn memoriam of the Vibe, may you rest in peace:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3168634
BlueCrush

Re: Poor Man's Complete Performance Mod Guide for the 1ZZ-FE(Vibe Base & ... (kevera)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »B....I think you should add a few to the list.eManage,Utimate,blue and V-manageCat-back exhaust,axle-backLink to Throttle-body portingMaybe list headers.Most can be had for under $350More things have become available over the last little bit.My point for this thread was to provide info for people to get the most bang for their buck as well as making it somewhat easy for most people to be able to do them or get the mdoen for the least amount of money. The Camcon is easy to install and anyone can tune the settings themselves. There are a bunch of predetermined settings that people have posted on forums. the Unichip is preprogrammed and is super easy to install. The E-manage (ultimate & blue) & V-manage are much more involved and cost more to install and tune for your mods. Throttle body porting isn't a good mod for the poor man who does not also install aftermarket headers and exhaust. If I start adding catbacks, headers, TB boring, etc.... then it will start approaching $2000+ and just become a general mods thread. Like I mentioned this it to get the most bang for the buck. If you are lucky you can find deals on parts so you can do more for less.Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Intake: GM Supercharger intake tube (quieter than a CAI or SRI, but an increase in hp and tq over stock)TB Spacer: Helix Power Tower PlusMuffler: Custom 2-1/4" exhaust (With Flowmaster Hushpower II and Walker Profit Mufflers)Pulleys: OEM Sized OBX Lightweight Alternator Pulley (same as the UR) & OEM Sized Lightweight Alutec Crank PulleyPerformance Chip: Power Enterprise CamconThese mods have cost me a total of $900 by finding great deals like $40 for the GM S/C intake and $35 for the Camcon(yes $35). So if your patient and shop for deals you will be able to add other mods like a catback, headers or TB boring. But then you are taking your mods to the next level.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
kevera

Post by kevera »

I hear ya,the eManage does involve tuning which can get pricey.I just figured if purchased separately the items I listed would be useful as a resource,that's all.Not trying to hijack your thread buddy.where's my chocolate,lol.
DarkVibe

Post by DarkVibe »

it sounds like, kevera, you should start your own thread... you know phase II, or something like that for the harder mods or more expensive mods.
2009 Red Vibe GT auto
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »I hear ya,the eManage does involve tuning which can get pricey.I just figured if purchased separately the items I listed would be useful as a resource,that's all.Not trying to hijack your thread buddy.where's my chocolate,lol. True. I suppose I could update this thread: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=20250 with the new piggyback info...No Problem, Kev.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
THE VIBERATOR

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

Well done to both of you, this is much appreciated. Cause I'm one of those said poor men
bonzo4ever

Post by bonzo4ever »

Late Guy to the Party!I cannot say enough about how awesome you guys have been for my Vibe. All the reviews and step-by-step stuff (BC Rules!) have probably saved me a bunch of money I might have wasted on crappy upgrades. I did have a couple of questions though on the poor man's guide...1) is it possible for me just to bolt up that upgraded muffler (I'd love a killer sound) rather than paying for a professional, or should it definitely be welded?2) I know the short ram intake won't give you the same increase in power as the full blown CAI, but does it free up enough breathing room to be worth it?3) I've got a Vibe GT (2ZZ). Anything I should NOT do for a performance gain since it might be good for the 1ZZ and bad for the 2ZZ?4) I can't find that GM Supercharger intake tube you mention - anyone have a link?Thank you guys all again. Got my car looking and running great thanks to this site.
2003 Vibe GT 6-SpeedAEM Short Ram CAIMegan Racing Strut Tower BraceComing Someday: Magnaflow Exhaust
BlueCrush

Re: Poor Man's Complete Performance Mod Guide for the 1ZZ-FE(Vibe Base & ... (bonzo4ever)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by bonzo4ever »Late Guy to the Party!I cannot say enough about how awesome you guys have been for my Vibe. All the reviews and step-by-step stuff (BC Rules!) have probably saved me a bunch of money I might have wasted on crappy upgrades. LOL! Other's have done much more than I, but thanks, we are all here to help the Vibe community.I did have a couple of questions though on the poor man's guide...1) is it possible for me just to bolt up that upgraded muffler (I'd love a killer sound) rather than paying for a professional, or should it definitely be welded? A muffler would need to be welded, you can just bolt on a Catback or Axelback since you have a GT, you would be better off doing that.More money but worth it for a more free flowing exhaust. You should see a nice hp increase in the upper mid-upper rev range. Especially in lift.2) I know the short ram intake won't give you the same increase in power as the full blown CAI, but does it free up enough breathing room to be worth it? the GT gets the most benefit from a CAI (TRD or Injen). You will see an increase with the SRI but not as much. If you go with an SRI, try to make some sort of heat shield to block the engine bay heat. One to look at with a heat shield attached is the aFe Intake, but they run about $200 or so. With either a CAI or SRI you will lose some low end torque.3) I've got a Vibe GT (2ZZ). Anything I should NOT do for a performance gain since it might be good for the 1ZZ and bad for the 2ZZ? DO NOT INSTALL A CRANK PULLEY ON A 2ZZ. THAT IS ALL.4) I can't find that GM Supercharger intake tube you mention - anyone have a link? you would need to find someone who has a S/C and is not using the tube. They are not for sale separately anywhere. This will help you gain the benefits of a SRI or CAI while keeping your low end torque. If you go this route, get the aFe Pro Dry-S drop-in air filter. There is a guy on here: Ultraviolet that is selling his on Ebay. Look here: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=34921 5) I would also recommend getting your header ported by Boosted2.0 on http://www.newcelica.org and then get a Unichip (tuned for I/H/E) if you can since they are discontinued and on closeout.Thank you guys all again. Got my car looking and running great thanks to this site.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Herb

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »5) I would also recommend getting your header ported by Boosted2.0 on http://www.newcelica.org and then get a Unichip (tuned for I/H/E) if you can since they are discontinued and on closeout.Will the current approved tuner shops still do custom tuning on the Unichips anymore?
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
BlueCrush

Re: Poor Man's Complete Performance Mod Guide for the 1ZZ-FE(Vibe Base & ... (Herb)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by Herb »Will the current approved tuner shops still do custom tuning on the Unichips anymore?My local Authorized Unichip tuner said that they will still custom tune a discontinued Unichip.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
THE VIBERATOR

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

Unichip is an extreme waste of money...i spent 500 bucks for a faulty piece of garbage. I had it sent back 3 times, each time getting a new one, and each time, the chip DID NOT WORK. I would get fuel cutoff at 3k rpm (and I know why, I made posts on it before). However, the tuner I sent the chip to did not fix the problem, they merely reflashed it, which actually made it worse, they reflashed it to run with a stock motor, and my motor isnt stock, so the car wouldnt even start. IMO it's not worth your time and effort to risk getting a peice of equipment that does not work....oh and if it doesnt work, Unichip won't refund you, they'll merely replace it. It made me mad to say the least....BlueCrush, since it is discontinued, do you think it would be appropriate to take the Unichip off the mod list?
BlueCrush

Re: Poor Man's Complete Performance Mod Guide for the 1ZZ-FE(Vibe Base & ... (THE VIBERATOR)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by THE VIBERATOR »BlueCrush, since it is discontinued, do you think it would be appropriate to take the Unichip off the mod list?As long as it is still for sale from Unichip it will be on there. Why did your's cut the fuel off at 3K? Sounds like a fried MAF issue.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
THE VIBERATOR

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

Nope, I never threw a code while the Unichip was on there. It was a problem with the chip itself, or my own stock computer not letting the unichip proceed past 3k rpm. My MAF sensor has been fine for 70,000 miles. Not even the tuner could explain to me what happened! I was extremely mad. I made a post about it a long time ago...but the thread has disappeared since it is so old.
SoCal_CJ

Post by SoCal_CJ »

I just added the TRD S/c intake tube and got rid of the snorkel...cool mod, better than a CAI and "technically" there is no CAI for my 2005 AWD...I know many will fit and all that but I am really happy with the S/c inlet...I also have a drop in filter, and a cat back with a Magana flowMagnaflow CAT back exhaust, 2 ¼ Done at Fantasy Muffler in Buena Park CA , near 5 freeway and Beach, I have used them before on my Toyota truck, custom down pipe free flow cat and DynoMax muffler all done in 3 inch...they came highly recommended from Tim at DOA racing a Toyota specialty place for 22R and the 3.0 and 3.7 V-6 Toyota engines... http://www.doaracingengines.comDid my 04 Corolla-S and my 2005 Matrix XR 4WD both done the same way and Steve did a great job and was cool on the cost, tell him Chuck sent ya... Fantasy Muffler Svc Address: 6251 Manchester Blvd, Buena Park, CA 90621 Phone: (714) 522-3110
BlueCrush

Re: (SoCal_CJ)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by SoCal_CJ »I just added the TRD S/c intake tube and got rid of the snorkel...cool mod, better than a CAI and "technically" there is no CAI for my 2005 AWD...I know many will fit and all that but I am really happy with the S/c inlet...I also have a drop in filter, and a cat back with a Magana flowGlad you like it! I'm still loving mine!!!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
THE VIBERATOR

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

What are the benefits of the S/C tubing over my Typhoon SRI and where would I be able to find one? If there are bigger gains of course
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

I found a cheaper alternative Lightweight OEM sized crank pulley that I added to the list on the first post. Check it out!!!!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
northvibe

Re: (THE VIBERATOR)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by THE VIBERATOR »What are the benefits of the S/C tubing over my Typhoon SRI and where would I be able to find one? If there are bigger gains of course The SC tubing is for a stock intake box, you already have a sri so you would not be able to use it. It does not have gains anywhere near a true intake.
kevera

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »I found a cheaper alternative Lightweight OEM sized crank pulley that I added to the list on the first post. Check it out!!!!Good find Great to see you keeping this alive I have a SRI and still have my s/c tubing.I have air coming at it from 2 directions.Should give me some gains
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Bump for teh Newbies & removed Unichip as it is no longer available for the Vibe. I'll probably replace it with the EMB (E-manage Blue) soon. I'll also be adding springs soon to the list. Because it can't be called complete without suspension mods....lol.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Bastranz

Post by Bastranz »

Wow, this topic is fantastic! I've been wondering about modding my vibe one day in the future, once the funds are together. I was wondering if these items would work on an Automatic, or would further upgrades to the transmission be required before I attempt this?
tunertype

Re: (THE VIBERATOR)

Post by tunertype »

your not going to drop 3-4 seconds off your 0-60 times with these simple bolts on. that would put you in the range of some pretty powerful cars since the gt500 mustang(450hp) can do 0-60 in about 5 seconds and the wrx sti can do it in about 6 seconds(300hp) a few bolt ons that may free up 20hp if your lucky will not put you close to those cars. Also check out ebay off brand stuff. you can get a knock off intake for about 40 dollars. Nobody mentioned the E manage greddy computer that all the celica guys and MWR use and is cheaper than a unichip or camcon. Also has anyone used exhaust cutouts. you can get a motorized one for about 180 dollars and it'll just bypass your whole exhaust. you can close it when the cops are chasing you down. ;0) cams for 500 are good too if you can do your own labor so is porting and polishing the cylinder head.
BlueCrush

Re: (tunertype)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by tunertype »your not going to drop 3-4 seconds off your 0-60 times with these simple bolts on. that would put you in the range of some pretty powerful cars since the gt500 mustang(450hp) can do 0-60 in about 5 seconds and the wrx sti can do it in about 6 seconds(300hp) a few bolt ons that may free up 20hp if your lucky will not put you close to those cars. Also check out ebay off brand stuff. you can get a knock off intake for about 40 dollars. Nobody mentioned the E manage greddy computer that all the celica guys and MWR use and is cheaper than a unichip or camcon. Also has anyone used exhaust cutouts. you can get a motorized one for about 180 dollars and it'll just bypass your whole exhaust. you can close it when the cops are chasing you down. ;0) cams for 500 are good too if you can do your own labor so is porting and polishing the cylinder head. No one ever said that these mods would take 3-4 seconds off your 0-60 times. This thread is about getting a few more HP for less money. Yes, the Ebay intakes are cheaper and louder and made of the cheapest materials. The Cosmo is one of the cheapest name brands out there for the VIbe.I did mention the E-Manage two posts above yours and plan on adding it to the list when time permits. Cams and head porting/polishing will not go on the poor man's mod list, sorry. Those are for the rich man's mod list or the money foolish man's mod list...lol.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
northvibe

Re: Poor Man's Complete Performance Mod Guide for the 1ZZ-FE(Vibe Base & ... (xmasguy)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by xmasguy »where did you get your cooler for $40? I'm looking to order a good cheap one to install myself. recommend a dealer or website?summit racing, when I go home this weekend I can check the size...
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Great post! How come no one mentioned nitrous? For about $700 you can install a 50 shot, take off up to 3 seconds on your 1/4 mile time then remove it when you sell the car.The downside is refilling the bottle though. Just a thought.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs »

How much gain can I expect to see with something like this?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...t_939
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

I have added some Header and Exhaust info for both the Vibe Base and AWD. I also increased the $$ amount to $1500 for the additional options. I will add more options at a later date.Happy Modding!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

I also added a STAGE III: Lowering Springs (What good are power mods without better handling?)
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Added a direct fit, bolt on, DC Sports header for the Base Vibe Only. The OBX Sports header is better for the AWD only.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Added a Progress Rear Say Bar for the BASE VIBE ONLY.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Wow! Awesome list. You're the man. I will have to start doing things on this list when I get money.
BlueCrush

Re: (Kevzaz)

Post by BlueCrush »

Thanks, Kevin. The list keeps growing so I need to keep raising the Dollar amount in the title...lol.Quote, originally posted by cptnsolo77 »Great post! How come no one mentioned nitrous? For about $700 you can install a 50 shot, take off up to 3 seconds on your 1/4 mile time then remove it when you sell the car.The downside is refilling the bottle though. Just a thought.I added STAGE IV and a nitrous kit that only costs $300 for 15-35hp.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
rollavvti06

Post by rollavvti06 »

nice i have every stage
corolla supercharged
BlueCrush

Re: (rollavvti06)

Post by BlueCrush »

Yes, you do, Bobby!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
BlueCrush

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by BlueCrush »

I just found out that the Unichip is still available thru Unichip for $492+ shipping. That's Awesome!!!! I changed the info in the 1st postd to reflect this.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
dguill485

Post by dguill485 »

is it worth getting the power steering pulley and the water pump pulley from Unorthodox Racing?will it increase the HP?What is dyno tuning and how do you do it?do you need to tune it after every mod or only some?What is underdrive?Thanks for the good thread!
BlueCrush

Re: Poor Man's Complete Performance Mod Guide for the 1ZZ-FE(Vibe Base & ... (dguill485)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by dguill485 »is it worth getting the power steering pulley and the water pump pulley from Unorthodox Racing?will it increase the HP?What is dyno tuning and how do you do it?do you need to tune it after every mod or only some?What is underdrive?Thanks for the good thread!The water pump pulley is for the 2ZZ only. There is no power steering pulley for the 1ZZ or 2ZZ from UR. The only pulleys available to us 1ZZer's are the Crank and alternator pulleys, unfortunately. You take your car to a shop that has an AWD dynomometer (in our case) and they adjust the air/fuel ratio and ignition timing (for Naturally Aspirated cars) for peak power at all rpm ranges.Due to the cost of dynotuning you should really dynotune after you are done installing all of your bolt on's, but it is hard to do that since you may never be done modding...lol.Underdriving is in essence making the different pulleys turn slower. The best way to get the most out of pulleys is with a lightweight underdrive pulley. An underdrive alternator pulley is larger than oem and will turn at a slower rate than an oem. An underdrive crank pulley is smaller diameter than oem and will turn the other pulleys at a slower rate. Using lightweight underdrive pulleys do not increase your engines horsepower. What they do is free up existing horsepower allowing more of it to be put to the wheels. They are lighter so there is less rotational mass and easier to spin. I personally don't like to underdrive my accessories. So my pulleys are lightweight but they are same size as oem.Hope that helps.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
victorhasheart

Post by victorhasheart »

Anyway someone can start a mod guide for the 2zz-ge? That'd help A LOT!
03' VibeGT. Rear Tinted Windows, Low-Pro Amplified Subwoofer (passenger seat), Drop in K&N Filter, Yellow Fog Light Bulbs, +MORE COMING SOON
DrunkenMonster

Post by DrunkenMonster »

Anyway this can be stickied?
2005 Vibe Base with M&TKenwood KDC-MP342UAvital 4103 Alarm/Remote StartK&N Panel Air Filter, Removed Silencer, TB Coolant Bypass1998 Jeep Cherokee UKFlowmaster Super 44Cobra 25 LTD CB 2 JL Audio 10W0's / TMA 500
BlueCrush

Re: Poor Man's Complete Performance Mod Guide for the 1ZZ-FE(Vibe Base & ... (victorhasheart)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by victorhasheart »Anyway someone can start a mod guide for the 2zz-ge? That'd help A LOT! Someone with 2ZZ research knowledge and the time available could do this. Not sure who would want to step up and to it, though.Quote, originally posted by DrunkenDixie »Anyway this can be stickied?Sounds like a good idea to me... PM a mod if you want it stickied.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
cagarcia14

Re: Poor Man's Complete Performance Mod Guide for the 1ZZ-FE(Vibe Base & ... (Lancer)

Post by cagarcia14 »

i hope you dont mind me asking but where did you get your trd supercharger from?
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Bump! Updated a bunch of links and prices.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Blue,Someone posted your thread in the http://www.MatrixOwners.com and you have some great information. I have a 05 Matrix, XR AWD (1ZZ) at this time the CAI is ordered and the pulleys you suggested. Before I order the headers what mods are needed for the AWD? Will my old exhaust bolt back up or do I need to have the CAT back system installed at the same time? Thanks for your post!Rob
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop