Actual gas mileage

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
NJVibe04Salsa

Re: Actual gas mileage (02csnow)

Post by NJVibe04Salsa »

Alright everyone, When posting your mileage, please include the details about your Vibe such as year, model (Base, GT, or AWD), and manual or automatic. It would make comparisons more relevent and useful.Thanks,Rolan
Tubaryan12

Re: Actual gas mileage (NJVibe04Salsa)

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Quote, originally posted by NJVibe04Salsa »Alright everyone, When posting your mileage, please include the details about your Vibe such as year, model (Base, GT, or AWD), and manual or automatic. It would make comparisons more relevent and useful.Thanks,RolanJust add it to your signature so it will be there all of the time.....you should do the same
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
lexicon

Mileage

Post by lexicon »

I almost religiously get 31 mpg after a Syntec Synthetic oil change.but after perhaps 4-5,000 miles, get a solid 30mpg2005 Automatic , non AWDMy average speed on the freeway is 75mph due to keeping up with traffic, officer !
2005 VibeAutomaticStockNon AWD125 hp model
pacerman

Post by pacerman »

2005 AWD my second tank 32 mpg (imp), very consistent, if my third is the same , I think I will try the acetone theory as I think I would have a pretty good base to go on.
2005 Vibe...Abyss ...AWD53 Stude HT, 76 AMC Pacer, 91 Camry 4WD,318 John Deere, Strong GS-210 Electric Bike
ajflan

Re: (pacerman)

Post by ajflan »

Thanks to the new warm weather, my milage went up from 23-25 to 27-28 mpg. Thats all very short city driving, almost no highway.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
pacerman

Re: (ajflan)

Post by pacerman »

Great mileage!!
2005 Vibe...Abyss ...AWD53 Stude HT, 76 AMC Pacer, 91 Camry 4WD,318 John Deere, Strong GS-210 Electric Bike
Djm

Re: Actual gas mileage (billy)

Post by Djm »

I own a new '06 Vibe Base Manual and haven't managed better than 27-28 MPG and that is dissappointing as well. I don't even have 3000 miles on it yet, and have been hoping it's just breaking itself in. I don't think I'll see 30 MPG or more unless it's strictly highway driving on a long trip.
dianebrat

Post by dianebrat »

with 5000 miles now on my AWD '06 and the warmer weather, I finally am getting decent city mileage, 22mpg lows, and 25mpg highs, and for me 25mpg city is indeed acceptable.
last of the '06 AWDslava red monotone, preferred, sport, and side airbags
binary

Re: Actual gas mileage (Djm)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by Djm »I own a new '06 Vibe Base Manual and haven't managed better than 27-28 MPG and that is dissappointing as well. I don't even have 3000 miles on it yet, and have been hoping it's just breaking itself in. I don't think I'll see 30 MPG or more unless it's strictly highway driving on a long trip.When I first got mine - I was in the same boat, but don't worry.Check your tire pressures, mine were at 27psi from the dealer. Too low to be useful - increased mine to 35 and that reduces rolling resistance.Change your oil early and often in the first few thousand miles (make sure you're putting in the right thickness), and run on regular fuel for a while. Your first oil change should have been done at 1k miles, and if you're planing on running synthetic, you can run a longer interval.Your car will learn it's best fuel efficiency, but it won't be perfected until you put some good highway miles on it. However, you have to learn a few things about driving a low HP, high rev, manual car to maximize MPG.Shift early, shift often keep your RPMs below 3200 rpm and your milage will increase greatly. Yes, you can be in 5th gear when traveling around town.Your clutch should be fully engaged by the time you hit 1500 rpm, if you're still letting your foot off the clutch at 2grand - you're wasting fuel and burning clutch.Accelerate slowly, and slow down early, keep it under 75 on the highway... common sense stuff will help in the long run.I run a K&N drop in replacement air filter, but I didn't notice any more HP or mileage - just longer intervals between filter changes.Of course many others have posted very helpful suggestions - these are only a few I have after 48k miles on my '05. Use the search function - it's fun. Oh, and after 48k miles, I'm averaging 34mpg on regular fuel with 80 - 90% highway driving. I'm hoping new tires will give me another 1-2 to put me over the magic 35 mark. Especially with regular tickling 3.10 freaking dollars a gallon tonight.
KNINE

Re: Actual gas mileage (binary)

Post by KNINE »

I bought my car in August, and was averaging 30-32 mpg during the winter with 90% highway driving at speeds of 70 mph or below. Now that the weather is warmimg up, I recently had one tank with 37 mpg and and one at 36 mpg. I have 22,000 miles on the car and use synthetic oil. I sure hope this trend continues through the summer.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
pacerman

Post by pacerman »

I recently installed a scan guage II in my Vibe, heres some initial observationsAt idle, TPS is 11%At idle you are consuming .2GPH of fuelIn gear or out doesn't matterAs I was taught years ago....drive like you have an egg between your foot and the throttle pedal does make a difference, especially around town. (the guy behind you won't appreciate it though)I'm having fun with this "toy" it reads your computer thru the OBDII port, several trip settings, tank to empty, etc.water temp, inlet air temp, ign advance, TPS %, highest rpm of the day, and the day before, %load, kool tool.........
Digger

Post by Digger »

Many of us here have a scangauge II. I had mine since the first of the year. It is dead on unless you screw up the calibration then you have to redo the calibration. one thing I can tell is not all fuel pumps are the same. They all differ in the amount of fuel they pump. it is either the auto shut off or the meter that differs. I know now if I get fuel at certain stations it will take 1/2 gal more than the scan guage said I used per fill up. The funny thing is this station always charges a bit less than the one that the guage is dead on.
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
dianebrat

Post by dianebrat »

Quote, originally posted by pacerman »As I was taught years ago....drive like you have an egg between your foot and the throttle pedal does make a difference, especially around town. (the guy behind you won't appreciate it though)FWIW I get my worst mileage doing just that, in a stick, it works well, but in my AWD Vibe, it sure seems to say that a "brisk yet not overly enthusiastic foot" to get into the highest gear possible without "leaning into" the pedal seems to get eh best MPG in the city. Eggshell driving gets me crappy mileage Diane
pacerman

Re: (Digger)

Post by pacerman »

I hear you, I don't rely on the cliker to auto shutoff the nozzle, I fill the tank to the brim everytime, that way I know for sure I have the same amount everytime. I will compare my manual calculations with the scanguage, but I think the guage is off a bit right now. This will be my fourth tankfull since I bought the car used and got basically 32 MPG (imp) across the board (3 fillups)mixed city hwy driving. The hwy part is 50% mountainous, bad going up good going down........
PolarVrtX

Post by PolarVrtX »

Mine's back up to around 28 mpg. I've got an '06 AWD. Here's my chart after almost a year of ownership It was looking bleak there in March when my trend line was definitely downward... but I think it was the cold snap
2006 AWD Stealth Vibe
mistertwo

Re: Actual gas mileage (binary)

Post by mistertwo »

Quote, originally posted by binary »snip...Check your tire pressures, mine were at 27psi from the dealer. Too low to be useful - increased mine to 35 and that reduces rolling resistance.Change your oil early and often in the first few thousand miles (make sure you're putting in the right thickness), and run on regular fuel for a while. Your first oil change should have been done at 1k miles, and if you're planing on running synthetic, you can run a longer interval.since i am in at my computer in the office i can't run out and check. there is a sticker on the inside of the driver door with useful car info, one of them is tire pressure... that is the pressure you should be using, not whats listed on the tire.. i worked at a tire bay for 2 years and you wouldnt believe how many people didnt know that!annnd although they say you can leave synth oil in for 5000, imo its better to switch it at 3k miles, especially if you have a heavy foot and are into spirited driving. if you are really worried about the cost of synth oil, pick it up from walmart. they sell mobil 1 and castrol syntec and all the name brands in gallon jugs or 5 quart jugs, and they arent that expensive. i have had my car a couple months and am already coming up on my second oil change (6k miles) and i use synthetic, but i tend to hammer on my car so it should definatly be changed more frequently.
mclark2112

Post by mclark2112 »

Just bought my '06 Base, Auto Vibe. First Tank 32 MPG.. Not bad, still learning this thing, but i LOVE THIS CAR!!!
pacerman

Post by pacerman »

latest tank, combined, 33.4 imp MPG 05 AWD
CO Native

Post by CO Native »

This is my first post here after a lot of lurking. A question on the gas milage since I just bought an '05 manual vibe with 32K. I see a lot of you guys do your highway driving at 60-65 mph. Out here you'd get run over by a walmart truck going that slow. I tend to drive around the 78-83 mark, how bad is that going to ding me on my milage. I just got it last night, so I have no idea how it's going to do, but I'm hoping for a lot!!
Tubaryan12

Post by Tubaryan12 »

last 4 tanks:34.834.236.3*35.3**these weeks had a couple of days of a/c use, but less city driving.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
Tubaryan12

Re: (Tubaryan12)

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Quote, originally posted by Tubaryan12 » In my past life I managed and delivered pizzas shutting my car off and restarting it dozens of times a day. The car I punished the most was a 1992 Pontiac Grand Am. In 125,000 miles I dont recall replacing the starter. If I did it was only once. That was over a 8 year period. If I save $2.50 per week (1 gallon of gas) for the same amount of time I would save aprox. $1000. Seems smart to me This week, gas in Cleveland was $3.49 per gallon. The savings would now be over $1400 for this example. That'll buy you a few starters.
VivaVibe

Re: (CO Native)

Post by VivaVibe »

Native: Keep it below 3,000 RPM, which is about 70 MPH, and use cruise control when possible. Anything over that and your MPGs will suffer greatly. I try to stay about 2,500 RPM and I average 30-32 MPG city/suburb and 35-40 MPG highway.If you find it difficult to do that safely, try to find alternate routes that don't pressure you so much. Allow more time to reach your destination. Anyway, I doubt you will be able to match my numbers with your high altitude and hilly terrain.
2004 Base Shadow MonotoneMoon-n-Tunes, Power Pkg16" Alloys, AT, ABS, Side Air-bagsPin-stripe, 30% Tint, Fat exhaust tipMy GenVibe Garage
jsimon63

Post by jsimon63 »

Gas went to 3.59 In Indiana this past week! My son has been driving my 04 for a couple of months and says his mileage went up with the temp. I'm back to driving my big block (1.3L) Metro and getting 35mpg with the a/c running
04 Salsa Monotone base, SUPERCHARGED! Auto trans , 6 disc 200w stereo, Alloys, K&N filter, Moons and Tunes, Silver Stars in both fog and head lights, And now Magnilow Cat back exhaust! 06 Lava Monotone Base Auto trans, 200w single disc XM, On-star Alloys, Moons and Tunes Loaded 96 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD Built trans #0 fuel plate and secret adjustments!
psiu

Re: (CO Native)

Post by psiu »

I have 03 Base A/T--our latest trip involved looooads of highway driving at various speeds.60 mph (on 55 highways) avg about 34-35, though one leg of the trip for about 200 miles we did 38 mpg.68 mph (on 70 freeway--evening/night, light traffic) avg about 32-33 mpg.78 mph (on 70 freeway--daytime, heavier traffic) avg about 31Haven't crunched the numbers for our Detroit to Pittsburgh portion yet, lots on the Ohio turnpike including some A/C usage.
Daox

Post by Daox »

So far I'm getting around 36ish mpg since the weather has warmed up.2003 Matrix Base 80% highway drivingHere is a graph of my last few fill ups (www.trackyourgasmileage.com). You can really tell when the weather started warming up and the summer gas blend was put into use.
Matrix MPG Build Thread
pacerman

Post by pacerman »

last fill...........33.6 mpg (imp) 05 AWD
Whelan

Re: (Daox)

Post by Whelan »

Now I am averaging 280-300 a tank in city driving in an 05 AWD XR. That turns to about 28-30 mpg. Not bad considering AWD's have a slightly smaller tank at just under 12 gallons. I figure I fill up with 10 each time.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
VivaVibe

Re: Actual gas mileage (billy)

Post by VivaVibe »

Recent road trip from Jacksonville, FL to Hagerstown, MD that was pretty much all interstate via I-95, I-26, I-77, I-81 with some local driving mixed in. Total mileage round trip of 1716 miles. Best leg of the trip was all in the mountains from Columbia SC to Lexington VA yielding 42 MPG on Amoco gas; other two legs were 36 MPG each. Portions that included local driving averaged 34 MPG.Drove the speed limit all the way which was mostly 65-70 MPH except for some traffic congestion at 55. Used the AC a good bit as temps were around 85 to 95 degrees.These numbers are better than I expected and once again puts a smile on this old mug. So glad I chose the Vibe.
2004 Base Shadow MonotoneMoon-n-Tunes, Power Pkg16" Alloys, AT, ABS, Side Air-bagsPin-stripe, 30% Tint, Fat exhaust tipMy GenVibe Garage
dianebrat

Re: (Whelan)

Post by dianebrat »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Now I am averaging 280-300 a tank in city driving in an 05 AWD XR. That turns to about 28-30 mpg.You my dear man, are my new god... ;-)I'd love to know how you manage it, I'm now 6 months into my '06 AWD, and while I have gotten what I consider a respectable 22-24mpg city, I can't touch your numbers.Diane
pacerman

Post by pacerman »

last tank, 05 AWD .....34.45 MPG (imp) (28.7 us)......about 362 miles, I use the scanguage II quite a bit, for driving. I use this calculator as well as an other one, for calculating my mileage.http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html
shane_c

Post by shane_c »

My last tank was 43.5 canadian mpg (city/highway). I went 600 km (~ 360 miles) and was just a hair under 1/4 of a tank when I filled up.
2006 Vibe (base) - Platinum Silver, 5 spd, ABS, Power Package, Infinity Speakers, Dynomax muffler, Cosmo SR intake - SOLD
pureharm

Post by pureharm »

Wow...all you guys are making me jealous.. I have an 07' with not even 5000KMS on it, and I'm lucky if I get 475km to a tank.. I avg. city/hwy 8L/100KM (sorry for the metric USA'ers).
pacerman

Re: (pureharm)

Post by pacerman »

Your not too far off for only 5000K on it, give it another 5-8000K for breakin.Mine works out to 8.2.......for the AWD I'm fairly happy with that. A bit more torque would be nice though.
chevelle_lover

Post by chevelle_lover »

I am averaging about 600 km (375 mi) for each tank of gas and this is almost all city. When the boss and I go on trips I have squeezed 850 km (531 mi) out of a tank. This is such a suprise because I save in fuel almost half of my car payment compared to my truck.
If God didn’t want us to eat meat, why did he make the cow so slow? (Ever eaten a cheetah-burger? Nope. And you never will.)
keithvibe

Re: (dianebrat)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by dianebrat »You my dear man, are my new god... ;-)I'd love to know how you manage it, I'm now 6 months into my '06 AWD, and while I have gotten what I consider a respectable 22-24mpg city, I can't touch your numbers.DianeIt's not hard to do Diane.I have an 06 AWD and I do A LOT of stop and go traffic in my area and I average about 25-30mpg on each tank of gas. The key is to take it easy. Don't jackrabbit your speeds. Keep a constant speed. I have found that if I keep the car around 65-68mph I get about 32-36mpg (using the scanguageII)
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
ProtonXX

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by ProtonXX »

I have a feeling that all the people with less than 300 mi a tank have bad A/F ratio problems. I did some tweaking to my A/F & found it was way off. Leaning my fuel out got me 400 mi a tank
jsimon63

Post by jsimon63 »

well, do tell! How did you tweak your air/fuel ratio??
04 Salsa Monotone base, SUPERCHARGED! Auto trans , 6 disc 200w stereo, Alloys, K&N filter, Moons and Tunes, Silver Stars in both fog and head lights, And now Magnilow Cat back exhaust! 06 Lava Monotone Base Auto trans, 200w single disc XM, On-star Alloys, Moons and Tunes Loaded 96 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD Built trans #0 fuel plate and secret adjustments!
thorntcl

Re: (jsimon63)

Post by thorntcl »

Yes do tell as I did some searching and I'm sure this is only through the ecu or an add-on performance chip like the one below...I found this note from an advertisement for something called the g-boxperformance module on ebay...Air/fuel ratios in modern automobiles are regulated by an Electronic Control Unit (ECU). Most factory ECUs are set to maintain a 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio; this is known as a stoichiometric fuel mix. This mix is a balance between power and fuel economy, which is what most automobile buyers are happy with. In general, leaning out the air/fuel ratio will cause a power loss and fuel economy gain; conversely richening the air/fuel ratio will cause a slight (usually less than 1/2 mpg) reduction in fuel economy and an increase in power. Generally the air/fuel ratio must remain between 13:1 and 17:1 to remain efficient, any leaner and the engine will be starved for fuel, any richer and the engine will not be able to combust all of the fuel causing inefficiency. Our modules increase performance by adjusting these ratios between 13 and 14.7, the more performance oriented fuel curves. Spark timing is also adjusted accordingly.Or you could look at the mod chips http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=20250If anyone has tried this snake oil then let me know tooGAS FUEL SAVER PONTIAC VIBE 03 04 05 06 07 2003-2007 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem
Cheersthor...2004 Base VibeAutomatic, black abyssTint 35 front and 20 backWish list:auto start/remote entry/lock for all doors. (no factory pwr doors or windows)
ProtonXX

Re: (thorntcl)

Post by ProtonXX »

I installed a device called 'fever buster' on my O2 Sensor Signal line. It adds a few millivolts to the O2 sensor line to the ECU. Thus tricking the ECU to think its running Rich, making it trim the fuel. As much juice I added to my line (200-300mVolts) I think my vibe was running at 16to1 by default.Dont know about those ebay modules. Someone tried to sell me a module that tweaked the MAF sensor, that only works when the car is running in open loop. The O2 mod only works in closed loop.
dianebrat

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by dianebrat »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »It's not hard to do Diane.I have an 06 AWD and I do A LOT of stop and go traffic in my area and I average about 25-30mpg on each tank of gas. The key is to take it easy. Don't jackrabbit your speeds. Keep a constant speed. I have found that if I keep the car around 65-68mph I get about 32-36mpg (using the scanguageII)I'm easy on the throttle, but I think the killer for me is the hills. 75% of my commute is up and down fairly steep hills with stoplights at the bottoms, so it's certain that I always have to accelerate up them, and I can feel the poor lil AWD strain.I have gotten the 32mpg or so on the highway, so I'm comfy with those numbers.I'm blaming the hills!Diane
DCA Motorsports

Post by DCA Motorsports »

I have yet to get above 30mpg with mine. I recently bought a ScanGauge II and it confirms my math calculations- 27 to 28mpg. I have an `03 base auto(42,000 miles) with a K&N drop in filter. I bought the car with 19K on it and the gas mileage has never changed- even after the K&N and synthetic lubes. I have given up on trying to bust out 30+mpg as I don't think it wll ever happen.
cs1992

Post by cs1992 »

Last Tank...32mpg 50/50 city/hwy2006 Base Automatic Transmission, no mods...I drive moderately and keep the RPM s below 3000.
ajflan

Re: (DCA Motorsports)

Post by ajflan »

Quote, originally posted by DCA Motorsports »I have yet to get above 30mpg with mine. I recently bought a ScanGauge II and it confirms my math calculations- 27 to 28mpg. I have an `03 base auto(42,000 miles) with a K&N drop in filter. I bought the car with 19K on it and the gas mileage has never changed- even after the K&N and synthetic lubes. I have given up on trying to bust out 30+mpg as I don't think it wll ever happen.You're not alone. My 03 auto has never broken 30 mpg. Oh well, could be much worse.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
DCA Motorsports

Post by DCA Motorsports »

Quote, originally posted by ajflan »You're not alone. My 03 auto has never broken 30 mpg. Oh well, could be much worse.I'm not really complaining... yeah I guess I am. At least it don't have the efficiency of my wife's Durango
jsimon63

Post by jsimon63 »

I am guessing that with the 03's the 5 speed is where the mileage is. The 03 5 spd I had before my 04 auto I never dropped below 31mpg. I got the 04 with auto trans and I never went above 29mpg while it was cold out then I sold it to my son and I am sure he is lucky if he gets any gas mileage!! Gotta love them kids!!! And he has almost all his money saved for a turbo kit! Any mileage figures from you guys with a turbo??
jesse m

Re: Lo city miles

Post by jesse m »

06 base automatic ..not a lead foot driver..17.3 MPG city 32+mpg highway.my 93 escort wagon when traded in gave me 22+MPG City and 36 MPG highway. Since most of my driving is city miles I'm NOT a happy camper.
cmhj2000

Post by cmhj2000 »

05 base W/Auto, 35-38 Interstate 65 MPH, 37-39 at 60 MPH. Normally upper 20s city.
litefoot

Re: (DCA Motorsports)

Post by litefoot »

I have felt the same way I could never get anything near the 26/31 EPA MPG estimates. Getting 22 or less city and 28 to 30 highway.Check this site, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htmClick on the compare to Official EPA Window sticker MPGThe government has updated / changed EPA MPG estimates They are changing for 2008 to more real world MPG.Now my MPG for my 04 AWD is a little easy to deal with I am getting a mile or two less then what they are now saying is the new EPA MPG estimates.
2004 Vibe AWD Neptune BlueMoon and TunesPower/Security Package1998 Chevy Tahoe"WHAT I HEAR, I FORGET. WHAT I SEE, I REMEMBER. AND WHAT I DO, I UNDERSTAND."
VivaVibe

Re: (litefoot)

Post by VivaVibe »

Hmmm, odd to see such large variations in mileage from different Vibes. I bought my 04 Base AT six months ago and consistenly average 28-30 MPG city/suburb and 36-40 highway, with or without using AC.
litefoot

Re: (VivaVibe)

Post by litefoot »

VivaVibe, I agree with you, I can see large variations in mileage from different Vibe models, but not the same models and same year. The base model will easily do better then the AWD model.But a 2004 AWD should do the same as another 2004 AWD. I have been watching the gas mileage thread, for two years now and I till don’t get it. I even went out a month ago to buy the scan gauge II, everyone has been talking about to see if it was my drive habits. I have seen using the scan gauge II, driving habits do play big time in the vibe’s gas mileage at least with me. I traded in my 95 Chevy Cavalier z24 5 speed to get my Vibe which got a consistent 24 MPG city and 28 highway. I had my PCM and cat replaced for the rotten egg smell back in 2/10/2007. I posted earlier in this thread. Which make me wandering if it could be software / PCM or one of the sensors that is causing the large variations in mileage on the same models? I seen in this thread ProtonXX posted, it could be A/F ratio problems and installed a device called 'fever buster’. I am hoping ProtonXX will post the change in mileage, and maybe the before and after ratio numbers. If I could to get a consistent 23 MPG city I’d be real happy.
2004 Vibe AWD Neptune BlueMoon and TunesPower/Security Package1998 Chevy Tahoe"WHAT I HEAR, I FORGET. WHAT I SEE, I REMEMBER. AND WHAT I DO, I UNDERSTAND."