transmission possibly slipping

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
viber06

transmission possibly slipping

Post by viber06 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:32 am

Have an 03 Vibe with automatic transmission. Never had any experience with this, it appears the transmission is slipping. It is very noticeable going up hills ... the RPM goes up to over 4K, the speed barely increases. Seems if I let up on the gas, the transmission will then shift.

I checked the fluid and it was right at the bottom notch of the full mark so I wouldn't say the fluid was low. I did a drain and refill with toyota T-IV transmission fluid and made sure it was at the high notch of the full mark but still has the same slipping symptoms

Don't have any CEL's. Is there anything else I can check? Should I put in some non-slip additive?

jolt

Re: transmission possibly slipping

Post by jolt » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:04 pm

If it is slipping, the damage is already done. It is to late for maintenance at that point and you will need to replace the transmission. That is probably why there have been no replies to your question. There is really nothing to do that is going to save a slipping automatic transmission other then replacing it or rebuilding it. A used transmission would be your lowest cost option.

viber06

Post by viber06 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:11 am

Well dang it. Was hoping there was something I could try but yeah, when no one answered I figured as much. Thanks, i'll break the news to my daughter. :(

Anyone have luck replacing with a used transmission? I did a quick look but it seems they only ship a tranny to commercial addresses? So probably time to give up on this car.

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:08 pm

just because you are experiencing slipping does not mean it is finished by any stretch. Mechanics fix shifting problems all the time due to non compatible fluids being used or removing fluids which are no longer providing protection. I am curious as to why you did the drain and fill rather than have a full fluid transplant with a BG machine? Fluids break down due to heat over time. It is possible the fluids are not lubricating any longer and will cause slipping. Exactly how much did you drain and replace?
Live it up: There will be plenty of time to be old when you die.
* '09 Vibe: 1.8 liter *
* '10 Hyundai Elantra Touring *
* '07 Honda Fit Sport *
On Deck: '22 Hyundai Tucson/'22 Subaru Crosstrek/'22 Corolla Cross

viber06

Post by viber06 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:53 pm

I drained and replaced 3 qts. Think that is pretty close to the capacity? Isn't capacity for that transmission 3.2 qts?

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:53 pm

I believe you are right. Certainly some of the old fluid continued to hide atop the torque converter. I would drive it for a week if possible to see if there is any change in behavior and then I'd do another drain and fill to ensure you have gotten out as much of the dirt as possible and have the most fresh fluid circulating around. If nothing after two tries, you indeed may be doomed.
Live it up: There will be plenty of time to be old when you die.
* '09 Vibe: 1.8 liter *
* '10 Hyundai Elantra Touring *
* '07 Honda Fit Sport *
On Deck: '22 Hyundai Tucson/'22 Subaru Crosstrek/'22 Corolla Cross

andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:59 pm

That's the normal sump capacity, but the transmission actually holds closer to 8 quarts, mainly in the torque converter. Thus the recommendation for the flush. Some say a flush can do harm, but I have no experience with or opinion on that. If your fluid has at least a hint of red in it and doesn't smell bad, it's probably okay.

I would probably try a hydraulic additive, since it's unlikely you'll do any more harm (other than to your wallet). I don't think those products will harm the radiator, but that's something I'd look at more before I used them. I used an additive on a noisy, slipping AWD transfer case once, as directed by a transmission shop, and it worked.