2009 Vibe GT strut replacement - pain in the rear

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Glenpointe

2009 Vibe GT strut replacement - pain in the rear

Post by Glenpointe »

Purchased bare KYB struts for 2009 Vibe GT. Front struts went smoothly like taking a walk in a park. However, the rear is a pain. First, you have to remove the sway bar links, and lower control arms. Then both lower M16 bolts did not budge even using a long breaker bar or Aircat impact gun. Spent $40 for four carbide blades, finally got the bolts cut and the struts out. However, compress the rear springs also a pain. The spring must compress almost all the way to get the top nut on...two hr job turned into all afternoon, but got the car buttoned up.

A month ago my son's GT ran low in oil, spun a rod bearing and put a hole in the block. I got a low mile JDM engine from ebay, new clutch set, both up/down stream Denso O2 sensors, new KYB struts and new brakes, new set of tires, new hoses and seals. New shift linkage bushings, and the car back on the road. Spent almost $3,000 in parts and the car now runs like new. I glad, I went with torque solution shift cable bushings, and now it shifts like a Miata.

Time to have a cold beer!
tpollauf

Re: 2009 Vibe GT strut replacement - pain in the rear

Post by tpollauf »

Glenpointe wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:10 pm I went with torque solution shift cable bushings, and now it shifts like a Miata.
The things we do to keep our kids safe on the road! Great job ;) Where did you buy the shift cable bushings and were they for the shifter end, or the hookup at the transmission? My 2004 Vibe GT (6-spd) shifter is VERY sloppy and I need to rebuild/repair it soon. Were talking 3/4 - 1" of slop/movement of the shifter knob when in any gear. Car is now at 155K miles. Thanks :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Glenpointe

Re: 2009 Vibe GT strut replacement - pain in the rear

Post by Glenpointe »

When I disconnecting the shift cables from the transmission, I noticed one of the rubber bushings dry rotted and had cracks. I decided to replace both. I am not sure the first gen Vibe, but the second gen, after you remove the airbox, you can see two cables attached to the transmission. it takes couple minutes to replace them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191911426433?s ... 2749.l2649