2009 Vibe GT serpentine belt

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Glenpointe

2009 Vibe GT serpentine belt

Post by Glenpointe »

Any trick to put on the belt? I spent more than 30 minutes trying to put it on, but gave up.
zbyers

Re: 2009 Vibe GT serpentine belt

Post by zbyers »

A second pair of hands is nice. Also easier to slide it over a flat pulley for the last one. Trying to get over the lip on grooved pulleys can be a pain.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
lexicon

Post by lexicon »

Advice above on sliding over the flat water pump pulley does help, thread it on this last, i changed my alternator recently.... my belt tensioner failed.... piston came apart and not allow me to pull back enough to thread belt....bottom line... new $89 A/C Delco tensioner plus tax and shipping and $120 to pay for labor to replace the tensioner.... I really did not wanna hassle doing it myself.
Doing it by yourself is doable, but your hands will feel it... move A/C line over to the left slightly. Keep diagram handy. I checked several videos, some helped, similar to corolla if you google it.

by the way, my original tensioner failed at about 120k miles, the last one lasted about another 100k miles. Due to bearing failure.
2005 VibeAutomaticStockNon AWD125 hp model
Glenpointe

Post by Glenpointe »

zbyers wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:46 am A second pair of hands is nice. Also easier to slide it over a flat pulley for the last one. Trying to get over the lip on grooved pulleys can be a pain.
I compressed the tensioner all the way, but the belt seems not long enough. I bought the 2015 Scion XB engine from eBay, is there any bracket difference than the Vibe.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Glenpointe wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:21 am
zbyers wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:46 am A second pair of hands is nice. Also easier to slide it over a flat pulley for the last one. Trying to get over the lip on grooved pulleys can be a pain.
I compressed the tensioner all the way, but the belt seems not long enough. I bought the 2015 Scion XB engine from eBay, is there any bracket difference than the Vibe.
look up a belt for that vehicle and see if it uses a different length belt. it's also likely the vibe AC compressor is a different size than the xB AC Compressor, and that different pulley size could be the issue. Or, potentially any other pulley.

Glenpointe

Post by Glenpointe »

look up a belt for that vehicle and see if it uses a different length belt. it's also likely the vibe AC compressor is a different size than the xB AC Compressor, and that different pulley size could be the issue. Or, potentially any other pulley.
[/quote]

My 2009 Vibe had spun bearing so I bought a used JDM engine from ebay. I reused the alternator and AC compressor and the belt from my Vibe. The belt seems 1 to 1.5 niches short and I could not put the belt on. I will check pulley dimensions tomorrow.

I just looked up the serpentine belt in Rockauto for 2009 Vibe 2.4L. The length is varied from 75" to 75.62". Wondering why it's diff. in length.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Glenpointe wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:00 pmI just looked up the serpentine belt in Rockauto for 2009 Vibe 2.4L. The length is varied from 75" to 75.62". Wondering why it's diff. in length.
Different lengths are offered at autozone for w/AC and no AC.

What about for the xB?

Are you sure the belt is routed correctly? Obviously if you swapped the motor, you're pretty competent, but still have to ask. :lol:

Glenpointe

Post by Glenpointe »

Update: After I did some research, I came to realize the reason that I can't put the belt on because the belt is 1.4" too short. The ebay engine shipped to me was removed from the Scion TC and not from the Scion XB as he stated.

So if you swap an engine and having a problem putting on the drive belt. below is the reason.

2.4L Camry/Solara from 2004 thru 2006 takes 76.4" belt.
2.4L Scion TC up to 2010, takes 76.4" belt.
2.4L Scion XB takes only 75" belt.
2.4L Matrix/Vibe only take 75" belt