from Jalopnik today

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
KingKrab65

from Jalopnik today

Post by KingKrab65 »

Cars that refused to die. https://jalopnik.com/these-are-the-cars ... 6/slides/7

Not like anybody on this site should be surprised. :D
2003 Base Vibe
Caretaker

Re: from Jalopnik today

Post by Caretaker »

fun article.....but the Dodge Neon? and Geo Metro? I seriously doubt there are more than a handful on the road. If they had put the Geo Prism, yes; I could understand that but the Metro was built with cheap plastic parts everywhere that it barely lasted through the loan payback period.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

The old Geo Metros around here only come out when gas prices hit $4/gal or so.

I used to have one. I thought I killed it, but I gave it to a nephew who did a cheap easy valve job on it, and it kept running for a long while until I lost track of it. I'm pretty sure it got over 200K miles, a huge surprise.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I see a hand full of Geo Metros in my area on a regular basis. One has fresh chromatic paint that shifts from green to purple like this https://www.hiroboy.com/userfiles/image ... 84779.jpeg

Neon's? They are all gone.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

SeattleJeremy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:45 pm I see a hand full of Geo Metros in my area on a regular basis. One has fresh chromatic paint that shifts from green to purple like this https://www.hiroboy.com/userfiles/image ... 84779.jpeg

There are a few survivor neons! Source: neighbor has one and the garage down the street has one outside waiting to get work done to it. :lol:
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

SeattleJeremy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:45 pm I see a hand full of Geo Metros in my area on a regular basis. One has fresh chromatic paint that shifts from green to purple like this https://www.hiroboy.com/userfiles/image ... 84779.jpeg

There are a few Neons around here but most of the ones still running are in various stages of falling apart or are multi-colored from replacement panels.

My father had a used Geo Metro when he retired to Florida. I was really surprised how small the motor was in that thing. I have seen go karts with bigger motors. I want to say it was a three cylinder but I could be wrong. My father didn't have it long though as the older he got, the more challenging it was to get in and out of.
2003 Base Vibe
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

KingKrab65 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:46 am There are a few Neons around here but most of the ones still running are in various stages of falling apart or are multi-colored from replacement panels.

My father had a used Geo Metro when he retired to Florida. I was really surprised how small the motor was in that thing. I have seen go karts with bigger motors. I want to say it was a three cylinder but I could be wrong. My father didn't have it long though as the older he got, the more challenging it was to get in and out of.
Most go karts are under 250cc, the 3cyl in the Metro is 993cc (1.0L if you read the marketing literature.)
Yes, getting in and out of the car is hard because it's so low to the ground, and the door opening is smaller than most modern cars. I hit my head on the roof of my MIL's car quite a few times.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I have a tendency to queue up a few podcasts as I go to sleep. Whatever I end up not being awake for, I'll go back and listen to later. In my slumber, I heard someone mention Pontiac Vibe and that woke me right up. It was the Consumer Guide Car Stuff podcast. Truer words have never been spoken: "Cockroaches, Keith Richards and the Pontiac Vibe." :D
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice article there Colonel :D :D Although the statistics chart is incorrect, especially on the 2010 models. Back in may of 2009 when I was shopping for my new 2009 Vibe Gt, I seriously considered a 2010 Ignition Orange Vibe Gt BUT would have lose selling incentives at that time. Seeing how the last Vibe rolled off the assembly line on August 17, 2009 I honestly think they made more than 97 units !!!! Nice find though on that article ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"