Scrapping Vibe what parts would you pull?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
mrarcade

Scrapping Vibe what parts would you pull?

Post by mrarcade »

We currently have three Pontiac vibes. All of them are 2003 and all are FWD.
The Vibe we've had longest has over three hundred and twelve thousand miles on it. someone backed into me on the passenger side so it was totaled and we bought it back.
The car is maroon and I could only find red doors. Kept it just as a utility car. The windshield ended up getting cracked. The final straw is the transmission just stopped working the other day. The fluid level seems fine but the car just won't move at all. we were actually going to sell the car hoping to get about $500 out of it considering mileage, mismatched doors, and cracked windshield.
The car was a very good driver up until the transmission going out. Everything works including AC. The car is going to get towed to the junkyard.

Before the car is towed, I plan to pull the battery, the spare tire, the starter (which I just installed new brushes into a few weeks ago), the ignition coil packs for the spark plugs, both little trim doors in the dash and below the shifter, the power window switches with trim and the radiator (I think the last Vibe we bought has a small radiator leak). Are there any other components you would suggest that I should pull? I don't want to be digging deep and spending a lot of time. I also don't want to have to buy an expensive part when I could have just pulled it from this car.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
zbyers

Re: Scrapping Vibe what parts would you pull?

Post by zbyers »

Honestly, you could still sell to someone for $500 who wants to replace the tranny.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
mrarcade

Post by mrarcade »

zbyers wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:43 am Honestly, you could still sell to someone for $500 who wants to replace the tranny.
I can't imagine someone paying $500 for a 2003 with 299,999+ miles, red doors on a maroon car, pretty badly cracked windshield, and bad transmission.

The car quit a town away. I don't want to invest any money in a tow with little chance of recouping that money.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I believe there are several organizations that will tow it away for free and you can get some cash or donation:

https://www.junkmycar.com/junk-car-columbus-oh
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

some things depend on how they compare between the dead vibe and the surviving two,
radio, tires, wheel covers, serpentine belt, floor mats, rubber weatherstrip around the door frame

perhaps grab various light bulbs/relays/fuses,

Even if you don't need them, the two layer console lid is popular for 05-08 vibers who didn't get one, as well as the 12V power outlet and wiring inside the center console. Every now and then they are also looking for roof rack crossbars or a front license plate bracket.

Unbolt the front of the rear seat bottoms and look at what might have fallen in there, I once bought a used vibe that had a previous owner's checkbook in there

The fresh/recirc actuator seems a high failure rate item based on how often it comes up here, but perhaps more involved to pull than you want to invest

Could potentially also grab the catalytic converter, if you don't need one now, odds are you will at some point.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

What part of Ohio are you located in? I may be interested in a few items if you're close to me AND if it hasn't made it to the scrap yard yet. I have a tow dolly also if you need it moved from point A to point B
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
mrarcade

Post by mrarcade »

tpollauf wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:34 pm What part of Ohio are you located in? I may be interested in a few items if you're close to me AND if it hasn't made it to the scrap yard yet. I have a tow dolly also if you need it moved from point A to point B
I wish I had thought to post here sooner. As with some other groups/sites devoted to a vehicle or hobby, it seems the vibe community has great and helpful members.

I am in St Marys 45885.

The car is scheduled to be picked up today. The yard is closed Friday-Sunday for Easter.

How close are you? Can you come today? Which parts are you wanting?. How hard is it to load a car that can't move under its own power onto a dolly?

I can likely cancel the pickup if I call at 8am.

I will check this post at 8 to see if you want to work something out.

If the car hadn't already been sitting in a public parking lot for a week I would just cancel the pickup. we are just afraid the car will get towed and then we will have a bill plus storage. I hope you have time to respond if you are close and are available today .
mrarcade

Post by mrarcade »

Vibe has been towed
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Sorry I don't always get online every day. So where was the Vibe towed to? Scrapyard or your home/shop? I really don't need any parts just yet BUT if/when opportunity arises and it's close to me, I'll "stock up" on certain parts for future use someday. I'll be driving & fixing Vibes for the next 20 years or so. With that mindset, why not build up some inventory :D

mrarcade

Post by mrarcade »

Yes I am a Vibe guy through and through now. At one time we had five of them. We will still have two after scrapping this one. Unfortunately I just had back surgery. Literally four of our vehicles broke down while I was in the hospital. One of them being this vibe. I just didn't have it the ability to pull everything I would have liked to have pulled. unfortunately the car went to a yard that crushes as soon as they come into the yard. They pay top dollar so I had to go with them. I did pull ignition coils, battery, fuses and relays, trim pieces that were easily pulled, sun visors, spare tire, that's all that comes to mind. Again I would have liked to have trouble shot a little more and possibly pulled more parts. Timing was just horrible I just couldn't physically do much.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Thanks for reaching out to us and trying to help us. I would have pulled the hood, hatch, and maybe a few other odds & ends had it not gone the the salvage yard yet. No big deal.

joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The stuff about the vibe is mildly interesting but the important thing is:
How is your back?
mrarcade

Post by mrarcade »

I have to go in for another surgery next week. Hopefully everything will be great after.

Thanks for your concern.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Hope the surgery went well
mrarcade

Post by mrarcade »

Surgery went great. Of course I have been watching ads to replace the vibe.

I was released Saturday from the hospital. We looked at a 2004 vibe in the same town as the hospital, but it had issues. Motor had been swapped, dipstick handle was not where I am used to it being. It was one spot to the left. Owner said it needs a CV shaft and wheel bearings. Main problem to me was that the steering would not self center at all. Pretty sure there is an issue with the rack & pinion. Passed on that vibe.

Drove 45 minutes to look at another vibe. 2008 with under 170k miles. Newer tires, new ac compressor less than a year old. Cracked windshield, broken exhaust. It ran great, no obdii codes. We bought it. Windshield is to be replaced this afternoon ($190), exhaust repair tomorrow ($40-$50).
Mark

Post by Mark »

I realize I'm late to the party here, but first and foremost I'm glad your back surgery was successful and all is well. Second, congrats on the new Vibe. If I had read this in time, I would have suggesting pulling the console and wiring harness from the 03. You don't realize how great the double lid and power outlet are to have until you don't have them any more. I've been lucky with both my 08 and 05, I found one console at the local junk yard and another on line.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
mrarcade

Post by mrarcade »

I did pull the lid. Any chance the base is the same and only the lid changed?
Mark

Post by Mark »

My newer ones didn't include the power outlet or wire harness for it, other than that the consoles are the same.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

mrarcade wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:07 am Surgery went great. Of course I have been watching ads to replace the vibe.

I was released Saturday from the hospital. We looked at a 2004 vibe in the same town as the hospital, but it had issues. Motor had been swapped, dipstick handle was not where I am used to it being. It was one spot to the left. Owner said it needs a CV shaft and wheel bearings. Main problem to me was that the steering would not self center at all. Pretty sure there is an issue with the rack & pinion. Passed on that vibe.

Drove 45 minutes to look at another vibe. 2008 with under 170k miles. Newer tires, new ac compressor less than a year old. Cracked windshield, broken exhaust. It ran great, no obdii codes. We bought it. Windshield is to be replaced this afternoon ($190), exhaust repair tomorrow ($40-$50).
Glad to hear that your surgery went well. And glad that you were able to get another Vibe and keep it going.
2003 Base Vibe