Original FOB not working/car will not start

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
rdy4trvl

Original FOB not working/car will not start

Post by rdy4trvl »

My dad - a GM lifer (employee and car owner) has a 2009 Vibe (his 3rd Vibe) with 41k miles. He says the remaining original key/fob will not turn the car on or remotely operate the car locks. With the key in the ignition, he can not turn the steering wheel. He says there’s a new battery in the fob and (this surprised me) the light on the fob works. Unfortunately, I'm on the other side of the country and won't see him/the car for a few weeks to check it out myself.

Any ideas what may be wrong? I’m wondering if he disconnected something when he replaced the fob battery.
joatmon

Re: Original FOB not working/car will not start

Post by joatmon »

I don't know how the 09 keys and fobs work, but is it possible that when he replaced the battery in the fob, he put it in upside down?

I have done that with a number of button cells over the years myself, so i know it can happen. Just don't know if it would cause his symptoms

That or maybe the car forgot about that key fob somehow, not sure what it takes to program a "new" fob in an 09
rdy4trvl

Post by rdy4trvl »

I was hoping the battery was upside down but he assured me the light on the fob worked. If light really does work, I may try to reprogram it...not much to lose at this point.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Does your Dad have other keys that do work and function properly in his Vibe? It is just that the one key that does not work? Does the Vibe have the "Theft Deterrent Key Transponder"? Any aftermarket remote starter installed? Does this key turn the ignition lock cylinder? Could it be that he has an old FOB from one of the other Vibe's he has owned? Can he unlock the door's by inserting the key into the door handle and manually unlock the door?

You have two different items here: the key and the FOB. When you say the steering wheel will not turn, that is locked by the key. The FOB can control the door locks.
rdy4trvl

Post by rdy4trvl »

jolt wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:17 am Does your Dad have other keys that do work and function properly in his Vibe? It is just that the one key that does not work? Does the Vibe have the "Theft Deterrent Key Transponder"? Any aftermarket remote starter installed? Does this key turn the ignition lock cylinder? Could it be that he has an old FOB from one of the other Vibe's he has owned? Can he unlock the door's by inserting the key into the door handle and manually unlock the door?

You have two different items here: the key and the FOB. When you say the steering wheel will not turn, that is locked by the key. The FOB can control the door locks.
I think you raised the "key" questions. He says he can unlock the doors by inserting the key but it is odd he can't get the steering wheel to turn. I'll be there in a couple weeks and check it out myself. Good point regarding using one of his old Vibe keys - didn't consider this but it's possible.
Thanks!