New here! And general questions

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
ice957

New here! And general questions

Post by ice957 »

Hi everyone, I'm a little late to the party but happened upon this forum whilst looking for some various how-tos for my car.

I "pre-inherited" a 2009 with the 2.4L engine back in 2012 from my dad (he's still alive and kicking, he just wanted a Ford Transit because it had more room for food bank deliveries) while she had about 72,000 miles. Named after Amelia Pond (she's a ginger after all - if you aren't a Doctor Who fan you could probably care less) and 112,000 miles later she's still doing well, all things considered.

Not pictured below is her bad side courtesy of eldest, who shortly after obtaining his driver license made a not sharp enough turn across a farm culvert and he ended up jumping into a ditch. Did a number on the front right quarter panel, bumper cover and windshield washer pump, but she is still driveable. I need to replace the valve cover gasket but she is running like a champ. That would be the third altercation as she has been hit two other times. Why did I not get the body work done this time around? Our deductible and lack of funds.That was three years ago, and with four teenagers in the house, there were higher priority expenditures since she was still road-capable without any repairs.

Also not pictured is: the hood has developed a substantial peeling issue and the paint on top of the car has lost a lot of clear coat and looks like it will probably start looking like the hood in the next couple of years. Also the clutch plate on the A/C compressor disappeared at some point and I'm doing the 360 degree air thing - i.e. rolling the windows down - which is all well and good, except now the driver window is catching the rubber strip on the inside, so I have a 99 cent walmart spray bottle with water that I spray the window across the gasket, and the window slides down with no issue. Until the next time I need to roll the window down. The headlamp lenses are getting rather foggy but the bulbs are still projecting out at night so other than looking old, it isn't slowing my roll so to speak.

So I'm wanting to take care of all that, but I guess the question is is it worth it scrounging up parts for a high mileage vehicle, or would it make more sense to just trade her in on something else. I like the car, even with the road noise and the not-as-smooth-a-ride as other cars. I like the handling, the 2.4 doesn't give me awesome fuel economy, but I can still hit 30-31 mpg on my good weeks, and I like the fact she gets up and goes unlike a smaller engine like my old Civic.

Caretaker

Re: New here! And general questions

Post by Caretaker »

That's totally up to your budget. Since people rarely disclose their discretionary funds when asking whether to keep and maintain an older car, I can only offer up, as one who keeps his car "forever," that the car is now 12 years old. I get very angry/disappointed when any of my vehicles don't/can't make it to 10 years. Since it has happened (deer strikes, Ford parts in Mazdas, GM technicians trying to kill me), I rationalize that anything over 10 years is gravy. Like an aging hot water heater, I am always at the ready to get a new one once my cars (or appliances) start demonstrating mechanical age fatigue. Consumer Reports has correctly showcased our Vibes as one of the best choices in used cars; the Vibe is a worthy choice for prolonging its life with new parts. Are there better used car options?...............not many. Are there better new car options?..........plenty. So if you have the $$$, start shopping around so you know what is "on deck" should your car start showing mechanical age fatigue. If you have lots of children nearing driving age, keeping it makes sense as a pass me down.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Since the issues you've mentioned are mostly cosmetic, fixing it would likely be the cheaper option in the long run.

However, if you don't have the desire, skill, time, etc. to fix it yourself, it could be more beneficial to get rid of the car.

I will say...sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
ice957

Post by ice957 »

I'm strongly leaning toward fixing now. There are some things I don't like messing with, but replacing body parts and routine maintenance are things that don't bother me.

I was reading another post and learned about this "LKQ" outfit - and I know the prices vary by market, but looking at the ones local to me, this is looking a lot cheaper than I was originally expecting. We are geographically smack dab in the middle of about six of them.

I'm not overly obsessed with finding a red hood and front bumper cover (and chances are they won't be an exact match anyway) so as long as it's clean and not beat up and I can get a few more years out of her, it's pretty much a no brainer at this point.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

ice957 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:17 am.That was three years ago, and with four teenagers in the house, there were higher priority expenditures since she was still road-capable without any repairs.
If you still have teenagers in the house, it might be good to keep it, so that when they have their inevitable first accident, it won't be in a previously undamaged car. Seems like Vibes are pretty good at protecting the people inside

car-part.com might be another source for used body parts
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

ice957 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:40 am I'm strongly leaning toward fixing now. There are some things I don't like messing with, but replacing body parts and routine maintenance are things that don't bother me.

I was reading another post and learned about this "LKQ" outfit - and I know the prices vary by market, but looking at the ones local to me, this is looking a lot cheaper than I was originally expecting. We are geographically smack dab in the middle of about six of them.

I'm not overly obsessed with finding a red hood and front bumper cover (and chances are they won't be an exact match anyway) so as long as it's clean and not beat up and I can get a few more years out of her, it's pretty much a no brainer at this point.
I get a lot of parts from LKQ in Charlotte. Easy to deal with, keep their inventory fresh, and have pictures posted of their vehicles so you can see where body damage is and color of body parts and such. Our local Pull-a-part franchise felt the heat from LKQ and actually improved their people and inventory. Pull-a-part had carcasses and extremely rude workers for a long time until LKQ "announced their presence with authority".

I also use car-parts.com for harder to find parts. Not all local yards are on it but it can make finding particular parts easier to find. Some yards even pull them since they do not want you back in their yard.

There are options especially if you fix it yourself.
2003 Base Vibe
ice957

Post by ice957 »

Awesome, I appreciate the advice and recommendations. I love my Vibe - a lot of miles and a lot of memories - and she still runs like a champ. I'm going to be doing some scavenging here in the near future. :D