Cold Temp Starts

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
JustVibing

Cold Temp Starts

Post by JustVibing »

It's me again!
So I live in Joliet, Illinois (right now there's 3 feet of snow in some places) and I've been noticing that my 2007 Base Vibe takes half a second to a full second, sometimes even one and a half seconds to crank over and finally start cold, while my father's 2015 Tundra starts nearly instantly. Stepmother's 2014 Camry starts nearly instantly too.

The vibe in question has 201k miles with a fresh battery, is this normal or is there something wrong?
2007 1.8L Base Wave Blue Vibe
Caretaker

Re: Cold Temp Starts

Post by Caretaker »

Just so we understand your question: are you saying:

a. that when you turn the key, NOTHING happens, as in no noise for a second or two?
b. the car DOES immediately crank but takes a second or two longer for ignition to happen?

If a, then I'm envisioning a 1970's Oldsmobile that when one turns the key, it is dead silent for a second or two before the starter receives an electrical jolt to get ignition to occur.

If the latter, IMO, as long as ignition occurs, I think all is well. Ice cold spark plugs as well as starters tend to like toasty warm garages and don't appreciate being left to shiver outside.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

When was the last tune-up? What's the condition of spark plugs, air filter, MAF sensor, PCV valve, fuel injectors? Ignition requires fuel, air, and spark in a narrowly controlled environment. And with over 200K miles, there's going to be some reduced compression due to valve and piston ring wear. You could try a compression or bleed-down test for easy diagnosis.

If you haven't done it, start with a basic tune-up and run some injector cleaner through.
JustVibing

Post by JustVibing »

It is indeed B.

I am unaware of when the last tune-up was done as the seller was handed the title before the original owner left town, then the car sat for two to three years. Miraculously, it only took a fresh battery to start. It does have new spark plugs, air filter, oil+oil filter, and belt.
JustVibing

Post by JustVibing »

And we have ran SeaFoam through the system.