XM lawsuit concluded

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Caretaker

XM lawsuit concluded

Post by Caretaker »

Looks like I'm back on equal footing with the rest of S/XM's lifetime subscribers. That means I just lost my biggest excuse for keeping my Vibe afloat:

https://advanced-television.com/2021/02 ... b-lawsuit/
tpollauf

Re: XM lawsuit concluded

Post by tpollauf »

Interesting article .... thanks for the link ;) It's nice to know that IF I ever need to transfer one of my radios again in the future, that it will only set me back $35 instead of $75. Of the three lifetime subscriptions that I have (2005 with Sirius, home receiver ...... 2008 with Sirius, boom box & receiver, ..... 2010 with XM, 2009 Vibe GT), TWO of them have needed receivers replaced and at that time, paid the $75. No big deal to me. I'm still way ahead of the game when it comes to fees vs listening (daily listening has been the case for 15+ years :D )
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

t: I'm down to $2.89 a month. I just ordered new Denso plugs and ignition coils to see how long I can milk the Vibe. Perhaps when I get under $2 a month, I'll consider new wheels and transferring the XM. Still waiting to see the US debuts of the new Tucson (March) and Sportage (Nov-ish) before contemplating a move
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I just read the updated XM Customer Agreement, effective 5 March. I was shocked to read the second sentence in this paragraph:

2. Lifetime Subscription Plan: We previously sold Lifetime Subscriptions. This plan is no longer
offered for sale.
Lifetime Subscriptions are not transferable from one person to another. Lifetime
Subscriptions are nonrefundable. You may transfer an active Lifetime Subscription to another radio
an unlimited number of times. For each permitted transfer of a Lifetime Subscription, you will be
charged a $35 transfer fee, and the transfer must be effectuated on the Site.

I'm not sure how I would "effectuate" (put into action) the transfer on "the site." When I log into my account, I don't see any option to do so. It is interesting to see the effect of the lawsuit in that the debate over the meaning of "lifetime" (lifetime of the customer versus lifetime of the vehicle) resulted in XM just dropping the entire lifetime plan.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Doesn't apply to me, haven't tried so I don't know if it works or its nonsense, but perhaps this link helps

https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/prweb ... oanewradio
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

brilliant Joatmon. When I originally did the drop down menu, my eye focused on that selection but my brain interpreted "replacing a radio" as replacing a malfunctioning radio in my current car. XM has always allowed us to switch our radios out of the car the original radio was assigned to should it malfunction or become damaged in an accident, and still maintain our lifetime service. Now that you have screen captured the rest of the story, I do believe you are correct in that "replacing a radio" also means from one vehicle to another. Thanks for taking the time.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Caretaker wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:06 pm
2. Lifetime Subscription Plan: We previously sold Lifetime Subscriptions. This plan is no longer
offered for sale.
Lifetime Subscriptions are not transferable from one person to another. Lifetime
Subscriptions are nonrefundable. You may transfer an active Lifetime Subscription to another radio
an unlimited number of times. For each permitted transfer of a Lifetime Subscription, you will be
charged a $35 transfer fee, and the transfer must be effectuated on the Site.
I believe that they stopped offering lifetime subscriptions some time ago BUT if I'm wrong, then I knew it was only a matter of time before they stopped them. Too many of us gambled early on (16 years for me) and are still getting the use of listening to their programs without those monthly/annual fees! 8-)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"