I miss my Vibe!!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Meshami

I miss my Vibe!!

Post by Meshami »

Long time no see. Hi everyone!

Sure miss my '07. Got her in 2014, had her for 3 years before the motor blew. :? Considered hunting down a motor for her, but she was pretty beat up. In those 3 years, that was the only time it left someone stranded. Had about $3k total in her, and she lasted 3 years.

Have had a couple of rides since then, but miss the Vibe something terrible. They're just so darned practical! Life happens and sometimes you just drive what you have available or can afford. I still longingly point out Vibe's, even got my husband doing it. Alas, he's finally relented and says I can go looking for another, yay! (guess he finally figured out how to shut me up, haha)

One of my rides was a Dodge Grand Caravan. Yeah, they have the hauling capacity, for sure. But dang it was like a boat driving her around. Zippy it was not and the electronics went caput after a year and had 212k miles on her. Current car is a Chrysler Sebring sedan. Pretty decent on gas as a 4 cyl, but zero comfort and feels like less passenger room inside than my Vibe had, much less can't haul crap. But it was cheap to get at the time, so yeah.

Aim to be buying in the next couple of months and there's a few out there I have my eye on, leaning towards 1st gen's.

Hope to be re-joining y'alls ranks again soon! :D
Caretaker

Re: I miss my Vibe!!

Post by Caretaker »

.....and we'll be happy when that day comes. Just to infuse some sanity into the conversation, don't ever become enamored with a vehicle because it can quickly become salvaged steel in the first mile driven, wrecked by some distracted moron. Unless you are driving a Bentley Flying Spur, they aren't worth getting emotionally attached to. My point being, while I applaud your enthusiasm for a car (the Corolla) which has been purchased over 45 million times since 1966, there are more refined vehicles that have been made since the first generation Vibe. It always comes down to how much money you want to put out. A used Vibe is generally money well spent but I would never encourage anyone to buy a 13+ year old car (first gen). Not knowing your pocket book, I can only generically say that you should try to buy the newest vehicle possible for the money you have at hand and if you smartly stick with Japanese engineering, mileage is almost meaningless. Decade over decade, automobiles have improved in reliability and safety. Moreover, age causes failure of parts, not miles on the odometer. Good luck with your decision.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Ditto what Caretaker says about old cars. About a decade ago I bought a first-gen Subaru Outback that was 12 years old, because I missed the one I had that was four years old. That may have been a mistake. It's 22 years old now and it's really an old car. Plastic and rubber parts are failing just due to age, not use. It still has a cassette deck.

When our '07 Vibe needs to be replaced, I know I'll miss it but I certainly won't be getting a car that's over a dozen years old to replace it. Who knows what that'll be, but if it were to happen tomorrow I'd look at FWD Rav 4s.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I can relate. I've been an exviber for about 18 months now, still miss it. I was able to buy a new vehicle (7 miles on the odo) with lots of modern technowizardry, and I like it more than the vibe. I wouldn't go back to a Vibe at this point, because I can afford not to. However, there are lots of folks who don't have the finances for a new car, or for a newer used car. I still think the Vibe is a hidden gem, a bargain for anyone looking for a car with a budget of only a few grand.
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

Going to look at an '04 today, wish me luck!! One owner driven by an older couple, looks very well taken care of.

To add, no, I don't have a lot of funds available. Plus, I live in the country down a dirt road, so something newer just doesn't make sense. I'm a housewife that doesn't commute, and pretty much just goes to town about once a week. I'm okay with not having all the latest gadgetry, just want the dependability with the practicality. :)

Hope to see y'all around later. :D
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I can relate on all points. I agree that buying the newest vehicle you can afford with the money on hand is a good idea. However, it is hard to go wrong with a Vibe/Matrix/Corolla. They're just so darn practical and reliable. You easily get a great return on the investment.

When it comes to the gizmos and gadgets, and even ride feel, comfort, etc. anything a decade newer should prove to be muucccchhhh better.

While we've owned at least a dozen Vibes over the course of the last decade, I know my next vehicle purchase will not be a Vibe just based on age and comfort alone.

Good luck in your endeavor. Hope to see you join us again.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

Well I did indeed bring her home last night. :D I am again a Vibe owner.

The pics I viewed online did not do her justice. The car is near pristine in condition. The older couple that bought her new had a list of the maintenance done and she drove like she's been very well taken care of. At 185k miles, I don't think I went too wrong paying $2500 for her. Bout the only thing that will be needed in the near future is some struts. The only other issue was the display on the radio doesn't work, but the radio still plays, so not that big an issue as I can just hit the search button to find a station I like.

She's silver in color and really like the base model with the darker gray bumpers (or whatever that's called). Like I said, she's pristine, there's not even wear on the steering wheel, lol. The only wear on her at all is a small spot on the drivers shoulder area I'm assuming where they rubbed getting in and out, not a stain in sight. The body is perfect saved one tiny indention on the passenger door, not spot of rust anywhere. Since they've had her they've never allowed smoking or pets, zero used car smells. I really dig the front grill of the '04 compared to my '07. And the armrest is better, haha, cause yeah, that's really important. :lol: They did have the sunroof and cruise control option in her, as well. Other than what year is on the title and what the odometer states, you'd think this was a new car.

Will try to upload some pics later when the suns out. Yepper, happy camper here.
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

Here's a quick pic I took last night on our drive back home last night. Crappy pic but there she is.
IMG_20210304_184356.jpg
IMG_20210304_184356.jpg (31.87 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Congrats Meshami. That is a good purchase. I always appreciate seeing another picture of a Vibe on a late night Burger King run.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

For that price point, I would say it is definitely a solid deal and should last you a long time. Welcome back! haha.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

Few more pics I grabbed yesterday.
1.jpg
1.jpg (78.28 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (65.76 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Doesn't even have the little road chips on the front.
3.jpg
3.jpg (63.36 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
And I spotted it! Another visible sign they actually did drive it, there is wear on the brake pedal, lol.
4.jpg
4.jpg (57.86 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice find! :D Looks like it may have been garaged most of it's life too.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

tpollauf wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:04 pm Nice find! :D Looks like it may have been garaged most of it's life too.
That's what I think, too. We have a couple hail storms a year in this state and not a ding to be found. :)

Went for a drive in her yesterday around the lake. My hubby is on the tall side at 6'2" and was reimpressed all over again how comfortable he felt in her. The only person that is a little put off is our little doggy. She regularly likes to curl up on the back rest and watch out the rear window on drives. Although it came with it's foldable cover on the back truck area I had taken it off. She had to settle for curling up in dad's lap while he stretched out in the passenger seat. 8-)

Looking forward to putting some tint on her. :D
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

Meshami wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:56 am
tpollauf wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:04 pm Nice find! :D Looks like it may have been garaged most of it's life too.
That's what I think, too. We have a couple hail storms a year in this state and not a ding to be found. :)

Went for a drive in her yesterday around the lake. My hubby is on the tall side at 6'2" and was reimpressed all over again how comfortable he felt in her. The only person that is a little put off is our little doggy. She regularly likes to curl up on the back rest and watch out the rear window on drives. Although it came with it's foldable cover on the back truck area I had taken it off. She had to settle for curling up in dad's lap while he stretched out in the passenger seat. 8-)

Looking forward to putting some tint on her. :D
Congratulations on the purchase. Looks like you got a great deal on an amazing looking and well maintained car.

My 2003 is a daily driver and what we loving refer to as a "town car". I go everywhere in town in the Vibe because it is so easy to get around and especially park. I'm 6'1" and do not have any complaints about space inside. I haven't been on a really long drive in it yet, but I don't think it would be that uncomfortable.
2003 Base Vibe