i'm new to the forum

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
salamander162

i'm new to the forum

Post by salamander162 »

hi guys:
first post here
i own a 2004 vibe GT since 2015, and love it !!
i was reading the spec and i was shocked when i found out that the engine is premium fuel only and i been using just regular, is there any damage to the engine in doing that?
i have other issues but i do not know where to post them
tpollauf

Re: i'm new to the forum

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Good year and trim level you got there. I too have a 2004 Vibe GT (Fusion Orange) and it's now my daily driver for the past year & a half. I cheat every now & then and put regular in the Vibe and other than low load loss of performance, you should be fine. Do treat the car to some premium every once in awhile though. It will run better. With fuel prices so low right now, it's the perfect time to pay for premium. Costco a few days ago had premium for 1.89 so I gladly filled my Vibe up at that price :P Also post some pics and fill us in on other feature your Vibe has. Oh, finally "location". Update your profile for us. Thanks & visit often .
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

tpollauf wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:15 am With fuel prices so low right now, it's the perfect time to pay for premium. Costco a few days ago had premium for 1.89 so I gladly filled my Vibe up at that price
Must be nice. Our cheap gas is $2.65 still! I haven't checked premium in a while as my GT is currently a garage queen for the winter. :D
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe
salamander162 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:29 am
i have other issues but i do not know where to post them
Feel free to post them here, or perhaps a new topic/thread. If you think the issues might not be related, might be better to create new topics for each group of issues, There's no penalty for posting in a wrong section. I almost always use the View Active topics link in the Quick Links to see what's new, regardless of where it was posted
salamander162

Post by salamander162 »

hi guys!!
as noted before i have some issues with my vibe:

when i start the engine in the mornings it gets too rev, around 3000 rpm, even when it is on the right temp when i stop still high rev, around 2000 what could be wrong? my knowledge in mecanics is just basic
another issue is that when i get to 30 mph a rumbling noise pop up , is not the engine, i tried rotating tires and nothing, check the struts still nothing
sorry if is not the right area to post this problems
thanks for any help i can get on this matter
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

The racing engine may be an electrical issue. An engine sensor may be out of range but not enough to give a trouble code. The check engine light will come on if/when that happens. It may take a diagnostic scanner to find the problem. You can try cleaning the MAF sensor and throttle body, and replacing the PCV valve. Check for air leaks in the air intake and manifold system. Is the coolant level correct?

The rumbling could be a bad wheel bearing. A tire or alignment shop should be able to diagnose that. Does the noise change when making a lane change at speed? Also, many tire problems don't show up on visual inspection.

How many miles on the car?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

The throttle body on the 2ZZ is known to stick. It's an expensive throttle body new..You could try swapping with one from a junkyard to see if that solves your high rev issue. Another alternative that's cheaper, is to try and lubricate the throttle cable to see if the cable is sticking.

Is the check engine light on? If so pull the codes as that will help narrow it down.

As Andrew mentioned, the rumbling you hear could be a CV axle or wheel bearing. Hard to say without hearing/seeing it in person.

This is one of the better videos i have found that demonstrates bad wheel bearing sound, and how to diagnose which corner.

salamander162

Post by salamander162 »

my vibe have over 200,000 miles, and good milage, 27-29 mpg
the check engine come and goes without warning and one time managed to get to the shop and they told me it was the catalytic converter but why it come and goes?, last time that it turn on was on last sunday but when i was\returning from work it turn off
already cleaned the maf, also ordered the pcv valve

sorry but what video are you referring?
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

The ECM will reset if the problem goes away and if you complete a drive cycle. You may have an intermittent problem, perhaps a sensor output that's close to out being of range. Old codes are stored unless they're cleared by the scanner operator. You should be able to get stored codes read by any shop, and some auto parts stores will do it for free. Or buy an inexpensive scanner. Write them down.
salamander162

Post by salamander162 »

hi guys:

i have a question: are the throttle body specific to the GT or is common for all the vibes?

and it did it again, last friday when i took my wife to grab something to eat the check engine light came on and today as soon i get out of work i went to the shop, turn the engine off and when he started it again with the scanner hook up no light!!!
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

salamander162 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:35 pm i have a question: are the throttle body specific to the GT or is common for all the vibes?
03-06 Vibe GT and Matrix XRS use the same throttle body. I KNOW it is different than other Vibe models.. I think it is different for the 99-06 Celica GTS with the 2ZZ. Not positive on the 05-06 Corolla XRS with the 2ZZ.