My Second Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
CJ2009Vibe

My Second Vibe

Post by CJ2009Vibe »

I bought a 2009 FWD Vibe in about March, 2010. Loved it, said I would drive it until it died or was totaled. Sure enough, got rear ended after one year and it was totaled. Ran a Carfax report on it some time later and found out it was exported to Lithuania.

Bought this 2009 AWD model last month. Only 110,000 miles on it, and the Carfax report showed the one previous owner changed the engine oil every 2-3,000 miles. Knew I had to jump on that one, so drove 3 1/2 hours to take a look. Bought it and drove it home.

Had to replace one of the cracked plastic wheel covers, found one on Ebay for $35, so that wasn't too bad. Replaced the wimpy original horn with high note / low note pair, so it sounds great now.

Looking forward to owning this one for a long time, can't wait for the first snow here in Michigan to see how well the AWD performs.
Vibe #2
Vibe #2
2009 Vibe.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Caretaker

Re: My Second Vibe

Post by Caretaker »

congrats. I hope it is everything you wanted. I just hope the last owner wasn't changing the oil every 2,000 miles because it was running low every 2,000 miles. Keep an eye on oil consumption.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Welcome to the party. As Caretaker mentioned, keep an eye out for burning oil with that 2.4L engine. Another small thing to watch is the rear diff/subframe. The diff likes to leak if the vent on top gets plugged. The subframe can get pretty rusty. Keep those maintained, and you'll have a solid car for the next decade.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Sorry about the first Vibe getting totaled BUT glad you found another one right away. Enjoy this one and keep us updated as to any mods or other issues you may have ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

zbyers wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:21 am Welcome to the party. As Caretaker mentioned, keep an eye out for burning oil with that 2.4L engine. Another small thing to watch is the rear diff/subframe. The diff likes to leak if the vent on top gets plugged. The subframe can get pretty rusty. Keep those maintained, and you'll have a solid car for the next decade.
I might be wrong but I thought the AWD models all had 1.8 motors in them?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

JerBear wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:49 am
zbyers wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:21 am Welcome to the party. As Caretaker mentioned, keep an eye out for burning oil with that 2.4L engine. Another small thing to watch is the rear diff/subframe. The diff likes to leak if the vent on top gets plugged. The subframe can get pretty rusty. Keep those maintained, and you'll have a solid car for the next decade.
I might be wrong but I thought the AWD models all had 1.8 motors in them?
That's only applicable for 2003-2006 AWD. All 2009+ AWD & GT models had a 2.4L.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe