New member says hi/ Ski rack options

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
JeanFrancois

New member says hi/ Ski rack options

Post by JeanFrancois »

Hello!

New member here from Montreal, Canada!

We bought our 2007 Vibe seven years ago, used of course, crossing our finger that it would hold together for five years. Our car topped at 299 999 Km this summer and the last checkup did not reveal any problems!

It's the first car I got really attached to. It traveled, lugged countless loads of construction supplies during our big renovations... While it did not actually witness the conception of our kids, it drove us to the maternity twice!

Enough sentimentality! *I know there was talk about ski racks before on the forum, but it did not provide a solution for the problem I'm facing* We took up cross-country skiing a few years back and we need to load five pairs of skis on the roof of our car. We have the factory rack that would not allow us to open the hatch if we installed anything long enough to hold skis. I got hold of a Vibe-adapted Thule Square bar set. Because of the factory rack, I can only use the front square bar thing... I thought of using a ski cargo box that can be fastened to the two different types of bars (Thule in the front, factory rack in the back), but I worry that it would'nt work well as the bars are at different heights (front would be higher).

Does somebody here ever found a workaround that allows the schleping of skis on the roof of a factory-racked Vibe while permitting hatch aperture?
I wondered if its possible to remove the factory bars... I would install the Thule stuff.

Happy Halloween, a peaceful election to our american bethren and a great day to all!

Jf
joatmon

Re: New member says hi/ Ski rack options

Post by joatmon »

Bienvenue sur genvibe!

in https://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=2671 Jwnmt described the setup he used to hold skis and still allow opening the hatch, but unfortunately his pictures are lost and he hasn't logged in here in over 17 years
JeanFrancois

Post by JeanFrancois »

Merci bien, Joatmon.

I must have pecked this former link at least five times over the last six months.

17 years IS a rather long time.

The solution is out there.
AnonymousStoner

Post by AnonymousStoner »

i dont know about skiis, but ive used a few different top mount bike holders, and if installed correctly they will usually hang over the portion of the hatch that needs to pivot to open. however, i found simply installing the holder backwards will usually allow you to create enough clearance to use the rear hatch as intended. when putting them on i just made sure the front of the holders furthest part, weather that be you skiis or in my case the front bike tire, clears your back hatch with it open. you will have a little extra hanging over your sunroof/front cabin, but no different than what would hang over the back of the car normally.
rebmac

Post by rebmac »

Hey JF,
I'm also in Montreal and just got a 2005 vibe with factory rails. I have factory crossbars (yet to be installed) but I'm trying to work out a solution similar to what you described - a different kind of rack on the front, perhaps. I was wondering if you solved your dilemma and if so, what did you use?