New key for a 2009?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
homemadehitshow

New key for a 2009?

Post by homemadehitshow »

Hi all, I've owned a Vibe since 2003, still going strong, though it feels like it may fall apart at anytime.

Anyhow, we just bought our daughter a nice 2009 2.4 base. It came with only 1 key. How can I get a spare and any idea how much?

Thanks
Caretaker

Re: New key for a 2009?

Post by Caretaker »

I'm assuming you mean a key with a FOB. If so, it is over $200 at a GMC dealer and over $300 at Toyota. If you just get an ordinary key like I did, it is also a nice thing to have as you give it to a Valet or mechanic's shop and don't have to worry about it. Just be warned that the ordinary key, when used, will work just fine, but the security light will flash on your dash the entire time it is used.
homemadehitshow

I just really mean a key that can be used as a backup to start the car. I thought you could not use an ordinary key to start the car?
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Sure can. I have one. I did not replace my lost second key fob. Again, if you cut just an ordinary key, the security light will flash the entire time you operate the car. You still can open the door locks and start the car and drive it just fine.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

What year did Pontiac add the transponder to the keys? Toyota started in the 08' Matrix models (edit: just checked, it was 05') I think. If there isn't a transponder, you should just be able to buy a key online and get it cut. When I wanted a new one for my Rav4, I bought a key on eBay for around $10 then had a local locksmith cut it for about $5.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

...... '09; lost key with transponder and programming. Now have a plain key without buttons, cut directly from the ignition by a locksmith. Works just fine. Just the security light flashes when driven. No other functions are lost.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Caretaker wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:13 pm ...... '09; lost key with transponder and programming. Now have a plain key without buttons, cut directly from the ignition by a locksmith. Works just fine. Just the security light flashes when driven. No other functions are lost.
I have to ask then, what is the point of the transponder? I used to install remote starters several years ago, and they would normally cut the fuel pump or the starter itself.
2011 Rav4 Sport
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

to electronically open and close doors and sound the alarm by manually pressing a button. Our Vibe key merely engages the spring loaded pins inside the lock body. The alarm system will flash the entire time a generic key is used because somehow the ignition recognizes that it is being activated from a non programmed source but our alarm system is not sophisticated enough to disable the car and prevent it from operating. Looking a my "pass key" that was created, I recognize that it looks like the same two levels of metal layered atop one another like our regular key does, but in the end, it is still a "dumb" key with no chip and no transponder in the head.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

We purchased a spare key for our Son's 2009 Vibe GT way back in 2011 due to only one key being available when we bout the car. He found it on Ebay and only paid $30 or so for the key blank (it included buttons, battery & all). We just had to go through that lengthy programming process with the car and I borrowed a key cutting machine at a school district where I did a lot of work at. Somewhat sloppy of a cut BUT it worked out well! FYI ... I initially went to a locksmith shop to see if they would cut the blank for me. They adamantly asked me "where did you obtain that key blank" from? Told them I was not sure as my son obtained it, not me. They looked pissed !!! They then declined to cut it due to them not selling me the blank! Good luck!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Caretaker wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:54 am to electronically open and close doors and sound the alarm by manually pressing a button.
You're confusing a remote key fob with a key that has a transponder. I'm talking about the chip within the key body that the car recognizes is an allowed key. If not, it will usually cut power to the starter or fuel pump to prevent the car from starting. They will usually look exactly like regular keys because the transponder chip is the size of a small pellet.

According to THIS SITE, transponder keys were added in years 2009-2010. But I've also found another site that stated 2009 didn't have transponder keys. My normal go-to site (the12volt.com) seems to be down or I would check there. Bulldog security wiring info says " This vehicle is equipped with PONTIAC'S TRANSPONDER ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM and will Require a Bypass Module for Remote Starting:"
2011 Rav4 Sport
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

nope, no confusion here. We don't have chips in our keys. I certainly don't see anything to indicate otherwise as my key looks very plain vanilla and since the security system won't recognize it, it seems to prove that out. Simply the OP is asking whether he/she has to have a new key cut with all the bells and whistles on it. Answer: no. How do I know? I have one.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Caretaker wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:05 am nope, no confusion here. We don't have chips in our keys. I certainly don't see anything to indicate otherwise as my key looks very plain vanilla and since the security system won't recognize it, it seems to prove that out. Simply the OP is asking whether he/she has to have a new key cut with all the bells and whistles on it. Answer: no. How do I know? I have one.
Thats fine. I'm just stating from the info I've found online. No need to take offense man.
2011 Rav4 Sport
homemadehitshow

I'm honestly completely confused at this point :)

Just looking for a spare key that will work in case of emergency. It seems some are saying a regular cut blank will work with flashing warning, others are saying not?
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

homemadehitshow wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:21 am I'm honestly completely confused at this point :)

Just looking for a spare key that will work in case of emergency. It seems some are saying a regular cut blank will work with flashing warning, others are saying not?
Tbh, just buy a standard key and get it cut. Should be able to do that for under $10. Then if it doesn't start the car, you'll at least have a spare key you can use to hide somewhere outside of the car to use as an emergency if you accidentally lock your keys inside. You could also call your local GM dealership and ask them straight up which type of key you need.
2011 Rav4 Sport
jolt

Post by jolt »

Do as SlammedNiss said. Try it and see.

The second key for our Vibe was lost and I started to check for a replacement. I later found the key so never went through with having a key made. What information I found on-line, and rather or not it is true, I can not confirm but this is what I got:

+ The Vibes that were made to be sold in the US did not have the transponder chip in them; unless the Vibe was ordered with a security option that GM offered.

+ All Vibes made to be sold in Canada had the transponder chip in them.

If you look around the ignition switch, where you put the key in, and see the labeling around the ignition switch, this ring is where the receiver for the transponder chip would be. If that ring is made of metal then your Vibe does not have a transponder chip. If that ring is plastic, your Vibe may or may not have a transponder chip in the FOB.
JerryV

Post by JerryV »

The 2009 GT that I fixed up last summer only came with one key. I bought a couple of fob keys on eBay and went through the goofy dance to program them to the car. They work to lock and unlock the doors with the buttons, but I haven't gotten the keys cut to try in the ignition. From my investigation of the fobs, it seemed there were two possibilities and you had to look for a letter on the existing fob to match the type.

Jerry
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

FWIW, not all 2009-2010 Vibes have transponder keys. It seems to be hit and miss.

Additionally, Canadian model Vibes were equipped with transponder keys starting in 2007.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe