05 Vibe Linkage Cable

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
SandiJanyce

05 Vibe Linkage Cable

Post by SandiJanyce »

I have a manual 05 base and the linkage cable to the shift broke. My mechanic found one but it turned out to be the wrong part. We are having a terrible time finding this part. He says it’s OEM 88974649. But I found a site that say 88973220. I don’t know if I’ve found the right one. And also as it’s so hard to find I was wondering if the linkage cable from a Toyota Matrix is interchangeable. Any help would be so appreciated. The engine in this little car runs like a top. She’s been good to me. Help me be good to her!
joatmon

Re: 05 Vibe Linkage Cable

Post by joatmon »

I would expect a matrix part would be interchangeable,

a GM parts source shows the two cables as separate parts 88974649 $81.04 and 88973288 $70.75 Looks like 88973288 is a newer part number that supercedes 88973220

(Note: I linked to that specific site as an example, not any endorsement, having no connection and never having done any business with them, can't say if they are a good source or if they can even get the part)

Looking at pictures, it seems as if there is a difference between the two cables, at least on whatever is globbed on in the middle, and potentially also on the shift lever end, so the one you need depends on which one broke.

as an aside, how did you break a shift cable?

Toyota parts places are a bit more confusing, seem to offer either the two individually or both as a combined assembly, but the toyota places I checked seem to be a lot pricier than the GM one I linked