04 vibe how to carry an electric wheelchair

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Nightdragon

04 vibe how to carry an electric wheelchair

Post by Nightdragon »

I have been looking for quite a while and now that I have my wheelchair I'm looking for a way to carry it with the Vibe. As it is right now I need to have my boys go everywhere with me to put it in the back of the car for me after removing the seat on the wheelchair. All the carriers I've found are 2" receivers and I was told you cant put a 2" reciever hitch on a vibe.
Is there anyone in the community that can tell me how it's done or recommend a way to carry one, it's about 160lbs. The Vibe doesnt squat with it in the back. I just need a way I can take it with me with out needing my boys to go along.
Caretaker

Re: 04 vibe how to carry an electric wheelchair

Post by Caretaker »

All I can think of is getting a cargo basket hitch as seen in the link below. I don't know if the total sum of the basket plus the tied down wheelchair would surpass the tongue weight recommended for the Vibe however. I have a hitch for my bicycles. When I have both bikes on there, coupled with the weight of the fold down hoop style bike carrier AND two people in the car, the pathetic 4 speed transmission lets me know that it's unhappy.

https://www.etrailer.com/Cargo-Carriers ... -%20Basket
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

one problem with using just a cargo basket is loading and unloading the 160 pound chair

Using an adapter to expand a 1-1/4 hitch to accept a 2 inch hitch adds length to the arm of the hitch, this extension acts as a weight multiplier
2Fto125M.jpg
2Fto125M.jpg (32.02 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
kinda like the difference between picking up a gallon of milk vs. picking it from a distance using a broom handle

I did find two ramped chair carriers that might work, but they are pricey compared to other 2" only carriers, at https://www.prolineracks.com/wheelchair ... racks.html The description for two of them says " Fits 1.25" & 2" hitch receivers with included adapter sleeve"
I have no way to verify this, but since they use the term "adapter sleeve", it makes me think that the carrier normally fits a 1-1/4 hitch, but if you have a 2" hitch, you can use a sleeve that fits over the carrier to pad it out to 2", something like this pic
2Mto125F.jpg
2Mto125F.jpg (36.13 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
If that's true, then the carriers would plug in fine to a 1-1/4" receiver

and I can't find any 2" receiver hitches for Vibes

There appear to be fancy but even more expensive options, such as https://www.miamihitches.com/harmar-al5 ... eiver.html

Good luck. Let us know if you ever get it resolved, and welcome to genvibe!
Nightdragon

Post by Nightdragon »

Thanks for the replys.
That's the problem I've been running into, no 2 inch receivers and the adapters I dont want to use as I feel it would create more problems. I've been thinking of a small trailer but then it's the length I'd be worried about especially in a handicaped spot. I cant afford another vehicle and I enjoy the vibe to much it's a great little car and my wife wount drive anything else lol.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Another problem could be inclement weather :o Your profile does NOT show location so we have no idea whether or not you'd be loading/unloading this wheelchair in Minnesota OR Florida. Big difference which could make/break your options. Give us more info and we'll continue to help :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Nightdragon

Post by Nightdragon »

Yea that makes sence sorry about that I'm in Indiana north central about 2 hours north of Indianapolis. So it's going to be rain and snow at times.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Just wondering, if the issue is the tongue weight, could you take some of that weight off the hitch by running a strap from the back of the carrier to the roof rails?