Greetings from Brooklyn

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
pixelvisions

Greetings from Brooklyn

Post by pixelvisions »

Greetings from Brooklyn, New York, where people have been panic-buying cars since the pandemic started. Our roads are clogged with temporary plates and every local mechanic has a waiting list.

I hadn't owned a car for ten years and spent months researching what to buy. The obvious choice was a Vibe! After many weeks lurking on Craigslist and an interminable wait on the NY DMV, I'm now the proud owner of a 2009 GT.

The previous owner hadn't driven the car for over a year. Seems to be in good shape, except for an oxygen sensor problem (P0138) -- which is how I found GenVibe! Finally replaced the sensor on Thursday and am waiting to see if that's all it needed.

Last edited by pixelvisions on Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caretaker

Re: Greetings from Brooklyn

Post by Caretaker »

As a NYer myself, having first learned to drive by navigating Riverside Drive and the streets of Manhattan, I know it had to be a hard choice to get a car. Panic is the word you used, and I think that sums it up. Having pulled my hair out on the Major Deegan many-a-time, I do understand the difficult choice between taking one's life into their hands by using public transit during COVID and taking one's life into their hands by enduring a heart attack when attempting to find a parking spot anywhere in the boroughs, and then forking over the dough to pay for it. I personally would have chosen the triple bubble wrap PPE route and used public transit. Best of luck with your decision and enjoy the Vibe.
pixelvisions

Post by pixelvisions »

Ha, you describe it so well. :)

My traveling companions include two dogs. I didn't get the Vibe to replace the F train and Metro-North, but to replace Zipcar, Car2Go, ReachNow, and Maven -- all the car sharing options that have disappeared in the last couple of years. Zipcar is still operating, but it's now almost impossible to get a reservation and I was especially annoyed when they lowered their liability insurance to $25K.

Thankfully there is plenty of street parking where I live. The traffic may still kill me though.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. I don't envy you as here in NW Ohio, SE Michigan, you can pretty much get anywhere anytime and not have traffic congestion :) Closest I've been to NY city was Edison NJ some 15 years ago. And driving on the Garden State parkway where there are NINE lanes of traffic on each side ..... fogetaboudit :lol:

You'll like the 09 GT ( we have two of them in our fleet) and depending on the transmission (we have one of each) you'll get great mileage from the 2.4L engine. Pics and more info when you get around to it ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
pixelvisions

Post by pixelvisions »

Just fixed the image in the first post, but the link may be expiring somehow.

Had to go with an automatic given the traffic and my little dog's propensity to sit on my lap.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Welcome to the party! I drove in NYC once when I went there for New Years a handful years back. That was an experience. Next time I will park somewhere else and catch the train in haha.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe