removing hatch interior door trim

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
FatherTime

removing hatch interior door trim

Post by FatherTime »

My 09 base has a small dent that sits right on the body line of the left side of the rear hatch door. I want to see if I can get to it from the backside and tap it out. There's a single piece of interior door trim that looks like it may just be held in place by clips. I don't see anything else holding it. To anyone that's ever pulled that lower piece off, is it easy enough to do? Also, is there a bunch of reinforcing steel in there that will keep me from getting to the dent on the body line? Thanks
2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8 FWD Manual Trans
zbyers

Re: removing hatch interior door trim

Post by zbyers »

All that interior trim has is push pins. Should be able to use a small plastic prying object to pull it open and off.

I can't remember if there is a bunch of reinforcement in the hatch. I know changing the license plate light bulbs is a PITA.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I've had the upper trim pieces around the glass removed (and they were not very easy .... cracked the very top piece) when performing my high mount 3rd brake light mod years ago. Never had to remove the larger lower panel yet. Good luck!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

tpollauf wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:27 pm I've had the upper trim pieces around the glass removed (and they were not very easy .... cracked the very top piece) when performing my high mount 3rd brake light mod years ago. Never had to remove the larger lower panel yet. Good luck!
Did you use a push-pin removal tool?
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

FatherTime wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:04 am
Did you use a push-pin removal tool?
Yes. An older "thicker metal" one BUT the problem was locating where all the push pins are. The panels are so tight to the metal that you can't pry a bit to even locate them. Seeing how you're removing the larger panel it may be a bit more forgiving (flexible) to where you could locate all the push pins. The very top piece is where I cracked the plastic which held one of the push pins in.

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Just an FYI, if you have to remove any upper panels, you MUST remove the top one first as it interlocks the left & right side pieces. The photo shows it all! Good luck ;)

FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

tpollauf wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:59 am Just an FYI, if you have to remove any upper panels, you MUST remove the top one first as it interlocks the left & right side pieces. The photo shows it all! Good luck ;)

I only would need the bottom panel removed, but, if the bottom is constructed anything like the top in the picture, I may not have any access to the dent. A little hard to tell, but looks like that entire section is covered with steel. May have to buy a glue puller.
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

You can go to a pull a part / lkq yard and pull the bottom panel as a test on a Vibe there. I used to do that when I was working on other vehicles. It costs a dollar or two to get in, you find out where all the fasteners are, if the piece breaks it is not a big deal, and you find out if there are any metal reinforcements in your way. You can also get an extra fastener to take home, if in fact, you can do the project.

Just an idea.
2003 Base Vibe