Synthetic oil and changes

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
KingKrab65

Synthetic oil and changes

Post by KingKrab65 »

Costco was having a special on Mobil One this month. Since i was already doing a scheduled oil change, I went there to get a good deal on it. Right next to the Mobil One was the "Costco Synthetic Oil". Does anyone know which company that oil originates from? Based on the price, I am guessing that it is not coming from Mobil Oil.

Also, I came across this statement on the Toyota Nation forum Matrix/Vibe general maintenance thread:

"Oil filters are an important part of the overall maintenance of your car. All filters are not created equal and filtering is not a job for the cheap. There are several acceptable oil filters available for the 2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe. I will describe most of them below and cite whatever references I can. I will also add that I highly recommend using V-6 Filters on both the 1ZZFE and 2ZZGE engines, for their increased capacity."

Has anybody heard of this or is anybody running a V-6 oil filter? Is there a benefit for doing this? Just curious.
2003 Base Vibe
Caretaker

Re: Synthetic oil and changes

Post by Caretaker »

It is from Warren Distribution. See the link I have included and scroll down to see the back of the jug:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/u ... thetic-oil
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

That looks like a winner then. Next time oil changes are needed for the family fleet, we will be trying out the Costco store brand.

Thanks for the link!
2003 Base Vibe
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I don't recall hearing about the V6 filter on the forum over the years, only the 2ZZ-spec filter on the 1ZZ. I often run some sort of Wix-made 57145, I appreciate the extra little bit of capacity it offers. The only time I seem to go back to the smaller filter these days is when I find a deal on a Fram (who specs the same filter for either engine.)

Looking forward to trying the Kirkland Signature synthetic. Warren oil has served me well in the past, I don't see why that wouldn't be the case with this stuff. Kind of disappointed that my local warehouses don't stock 5W-20 that I need for one of the fleet. Looks like I'll be ordering that online and paying a few bucks more. Still, 10 qts for $29.99 is decent enough IMHO.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Yeah, i'm not sure what V6 filter they're referring too. The 1ZZ calls for a Toyota F2 filter, and the 2ZZ calls for a slightly larger F1 filter. You are okay to run either filter on either engine. Most put the F1 filter on since it has slightly more filtering capacity.

IMHO, regular oil and filter changes is more important than what flavor you run with.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

Here is the entire maintenance thread with the oil filter portion at the beginning. Unless it is for the extra capacity mentioned above, I really am not sure why they would spec a V-6 for all of the filter brands.

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/of ... ad.429745/

I always try to cross reference the GenVibe maintenance site with the Toyota Nation maintenance site. Most times they confirm the others information. Really nice to have lots of info.
2003 Base Vibe