Is a 2009 Vibe with 150,000 Miles on It Used Up?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
kc27

Is a 2009 Vibe with 150,000 Miles on It Used Up?

Post by kc27 »

Would a 2009 Vibe, 1.8L, automatic transmission with 150,000 miles on it, Illinois car be pretty much used up? I have no maintenance records, but from appearances, lets assume the car received the minimum required maintenance, and does not have serious corrosion issues. Is the 150,000 mile mark the point where the maintenance is going to start getting frequent and expensive? I am shopping for a Vibe, and am comparing the 2009 car against a 2005 Vibe base 1.8L, automatic transmission, with 110,000 miles. Both cars are being offered at about $4000, which is where I am trying to keep the purchase price.

I usually prefer lesser miles to more, but the 2009 has some safety features like side curtain airbags I like that the 2005 version does not have, or I would not even consider it because of the 150,000 miles.

Is the 150,000 mile mark significant with these cars?
kc27

Re: Is a 2009 Vibe with 150,000 Miles on It Used Up?

Post by kc27 »

I found a couple of articles where they lead me to believe this answer is what I suspected...there are a lot of variables at play so a definitive answer on any two cars is going to be difficult.

But if any drivers of 2009 Vibes with high mileage want to comment, I would like to hear what you have to say.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping ... age-240611

https://www.web2carz.com/autos/buying-a ... ow-mileage
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Last year I was faced with a similar decision, and bought an '07 AT with 150K miles, similar unknown maintenance ($3300, some minor body damage). I've put 10K miles on it and am very happy. I'm almost ready to stop worrying about it. I did basic tuneup, AT fluid change, coolant change, new rear struts, new front brakes, flushed brake fluid. I have not seen anything age-related or mileage-related yet.

Check for clear brake fluid and red AT fluid. If the coolant is orange (check it cold!), it may original GM stuff. If it's pink, it's probably newer Toyota stuff. Look for an oil leak at the top right rear of the engine. Mine hasn't dripped on the ground yet, but that may be an expensive fix, I hear.

I heard recently that the '09s had an oil burning issue, as another Toyota I had did. As long as you kept the level okay, it would keep running fine. You can't ignore it between changes.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I heard recently that the '09s had an oil burning issue, as another Toyota I had did. As long as you kept the level okay, it would keep running fine. You can't ignore it between changes.
I believe this is true for the 2.4L engine. KC27 is looking at a 1.8L version.

KC: in either case have the car inspected by YOUR mechanic prior to purchase. Any needed repairs turn into a bargaining chip for you.

I bought my '05 Base 4 years ago with about 90K. It has now 130K. I did most of my maintenance and fixes early on. My Vibe is extremely reliable, easy to work on for maintenance (click on the link in the signature).
Just 2 days ago I had a stumble at idle. I don't worry even though it could be wear on the throttle body.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Capt.Vibe

Post by Capt.Vibe »

I would not touch any high mileage car unless it comes with full service records from the original or second owner. Although not a grantee of quality you can at least conclude it was looked after. I would try and avoid high mileage, I get very suspicious with the proliferation of Uber/UberEats they could have been pizza cars, delivery cars or Uber taxis. With both the 2005 and 2009 cars you are playing the lotto in regards to longevity with no service files. I would aim for a 2010 if you could increase your budget slightly. The 1.8L in some 2009's had the cam gear problem. You's want to know if that has been addressed. From research here it appears it's been fixed for 2010. I would keep looking for something with less miles and a history and ask straight out if it's been used for Uber or delivery. The 1.8 is fairly basic and reliable and can go a long while with no issues. Also, parts for this car are cheap, very reasonable. Maintenance is easy and cheap with a crazy aftermarket amount of parts. Have a look at Rockauto and you'll see what I mean Whatever you buy a pre-purchse inspection should done by a trusted mechanic.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
kc27

Post by kc27 »

Thanks everyone for the advice. The 2009 Vibe is no longer available, so that solves that dilemma. I went with the 2005 Vibe. It was a couple of hours from home, so having the mechanic who works on my vehicles do an inspection was not possible. I had to go with what I could see myself. The Carfax report for this car was six pages long, with four of the pages being consistent maintenance entries. One included fluid flushes or replacements, throttle body and fuel injection cleaning. If the report is accurate, it looks like the previous owner understood the importance of preventative maintenance.

I really would have rather gone with a 2010 Vibe, just for the upper airbags and Stabilitrak, but had a low budget for this car purchase. While looking, it was nice to see a few Vibes with 2 to 3 hundred thousand miles on them being offered for sale. Makes me feel the Vibe I purchased should have a shot at being a reliable car. Tomorrow I will get started on changing the fluids and filters, plugs etc.
Last edited by kc27 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

As for the 1.8L cars, it appears to me that the biggest complaint I see is that the odometer stops ticking over at 299,999. Mine is at 257k now and it doesn't sound or act like an "old" engine at all. Compression is still good, doesn't burn oil, enough power to get the job done. I would consider 150k mile to be a mid-life car with a long way to go.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

That sounds like a good deal with only 110K miles, with that kind of maintenance record. As others have alluded, it's barely 'broken in.'

A couple of minor age-related things I've found on my '07 were the rear door gaskets coming off (broken plastic clips, so I reinstalled with sheet metal screws) and the plastic exterior body cowlings coming loose. I bought a bag of clips for those for $5. You'll probably be replacing light bulbs, inside and out.

I hope yours works out as well as mine has.
kc27

Post by kc27 »

hogdoctor - you have a good point, and I did consider a few newer Vibes in the 140 - 150 thousand mile range. The negative is the higher mileage, the positives are more safety features and four fewer winters with exposure to road salt. I live in the Midwest, where the roads are white with salt 4 to 5 months out of the year.

andrewclaus - by exterior cowling are you referring to the cladding on the door? As shown in the two photos below? If so, can you tell me what kind of clips are needed? I need to reseat the cladding on the passenger door. Note: I have not done a search yet of the forum for this issue, I am betting someone has probably already shared the fix for this issue.

Besides a Vibe, I was considering the Mazda 3 and Subaru Impreza. When you research cars that are several years old, there is a lot of information out there about the problems people have had with those cars - and that can lead to analysis paralysis: you never make a decision because you overwhelm yourself with information, and are afraid you will make the wrong choice. The 2005 seemed to be well cared for and in good shape, so hopefully that will translate into it being a reliable vehicle.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

KC27:
congrats to your new to you Vibe! Looks really nice!

You may book mark this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=44875

And in there you find: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44681#p507900

I may have to do this again myself! :roll:
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

kc27 wrote:...andrewclaus - by exterior cowling are you referring to the cladding on the door? As shown in the two photos below? If so, can you tell me what kind of clips are needed? I need to reseat the cladding on the passenger door. Note: I have not done a search yet of the forum for this issue, I am betting someone has probably already shared the fix for this issue...
I got these clips: https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Retainer- ... B0776B3BV7

You'll need to destroy all of the clips on the piece getting it off. There are about ten clips on that piece.
kc27

Post by kc27 »

Wow, thanks for the Maintenance Index vibrologist - I discovered an issue with the hvac recirculation function yesterday, and the answer was in the Index. That will be a great resource. I guess that is one of the benefits of buying an older car, is that people have already diagnosed and figured out fixes for most of the common issues the vehicle may have.

- andrewclaus - thanks for clip link and the advice.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

It's hard to base the worth on these solely on mileage. While I typically shy away from higher mile cars, with the Vibe/Matrix/Corolla, I usually wouldn't have that fear if I've got some records from the prior owner on maintenance.

Three years ago, I bought my 03 GT with 230k miles on it for $1900. I bought it off of the original owner who commuted 75 miles one way for work on the interstate every day so it naturally had higher miles. The clutch was still the original because of it. Here I am now, and I am getting ready to roll over 270k miles on it. I would have been hesitant if the seller wasn't honest about the deal or if he didn't have many of the records. He even told me the day before I came down to get it that the neighbor kid learning to ride his back ran into the door and he was willing to have it pulled before I bought it.

Anyhow, it's more about how it's maintained and the "vibe" you get from the seller than the mileage itself.

Vibrologist's index is a wonderful resource. I am working with one of the mods to also upload PDF's of all of the write ups on here since photobucket broke the internet.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
kc27

Post by kc27 »

Thanks zbyers. Maintenance records are nice to have. I did not get receipts with the car I purchased, just entries on the Carfax showing regular maintenance and what was done each time.

As someone earlier in this thread mentioned, a high mileage vehicle could have racked up miles as a delivery or ride share vehicle, which would be harder mileage than the same amount of miles accumulated on the highway like your 75 mile one way commute car. Between two cars: older one with less miles vs newer one with high miles, it comes down to whether the technology advances in the newer car and the fewer amount of years on the road offset the higher mileage, as compared to the lower mileage older vehicle.

I know some of the 2009 Vibes had some oil consumption issues with the 2.4L engine, and in a perfect world I would have restricted my search to a 2010 Vibe, but for this particular purchase, there were budget constraints in place. If anything, the 2005 Vibe I purchased should be simpler to troubleshoot because there is less on it to go wrong. No traction control, no electronic stability control, it does not even have anti-lock brakes!
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Congrats on the purchase!

Mine was the oldest running daily driver I’d bought, but my mechanic swore by the Vibes. He also had nothing good to say about Subarus made in the last 20 years, so you dodged a bullet there.
350kVibe

Post by 350kVibe »

Late reply here but just in case...

My 2009 Vibe GT, Auto 2.4 has over 350k miles, looks almost new, and is still going strong. :) It is burning some oil but not excessively... About 1 quart between oil changes. The only "major" repair that's been done was a valve cover gasket after 320k. The lifetime of any vehicle depends largely on the maintenance it receives so with a good history, a high odometer reading could just mean a discount on something that will serve you well for years.
2009 Vibe GT
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

vibrologist wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:49 am KC27:
congrats to your new to you Vibe! Looks really nice!

You may book mark this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=44875

And in there you find: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44681#p507900

I may have to do this again myself! :roll:
Congrats on your purchase. I think you will be glad you got a Vibe.

I just reattached my cladding this past October using this thread. I did have to go to the main NAPA place to get the clips but they are still available. It is relatively easy to fix. The hardest part was getting the old adhesive off of the cladding itself. The adhesive on mine was very stubborn on the short end.
2003 Base Vibe
pwyu1969

Post by pwyu1969 »

I think 150k is ‘young.’ I look for vibes (I own 4, 3 that run) at 150k for between $2000 to $4000. I have 2 teen drivers and a third in training so I’ve been collecting them. Once I learn to fix something on one, it’s a skill (and tool) I have for the other. I’ve done 3-4 blend actuators. I’ve got that one down.

I also like to get manual trans as it’s a skill I think my kids need to have in case they find themselves driving in any country OTHER than the U.S. Its great cause I get good deals on manuals since folks tend to buy these older high mile cars for kids, but no one drives stick anymore.

My youngest that’s just started drivers ed wants something like a VW. Been there done that in my youth. She’s getting a Vibe. Just sayin.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

pwyu1969 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:04 amMy youngest that’s just started drivers ed wants something like a VW. Been there done that in my youth. She’s getting a Vibe. Just sayin.
We learned to drive manual on our 80s VW Vanagon. That was fun to learn. Nothing wrong with VW, as long as it's a classic. 8-)
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

My 2007, bought two years ago, cost me $4026 after TTL with 135k miles. it's at 171k miles now, with no major issues.

I'm keeping my eye out on manual transmission vehicles, cheap. My daughter's only (about to turn) 10, but I can keep one sitting around for a few years if need be. I think that learning on a manual transmission -before- an automatic is much better than learning on an automatic (even if grinding the clutch isn't good for the transmission :) )

Basically, once you have the muscle memory down, automatic is a breeze. Much like learning to write (properly) with a fountain pen before being abandoned to the world of roller ball pens.