dead mouse (or something) in 09 Vibe :(

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
canadave

dead mouse (or something) in 09 Vibe :(

Post by canadave »

We just started smelling something that smells like a cigarette (removed) or bad cooked cabbage in our 09 Vibe over the past week. It's worst on the driver's side at the front. My wife's nose is more sensitive than mine, and she says it's worst in an area somewhere behind the steering wheel. I looked at the engine air filter, and it had been chewed up by a rodent, so I'm guessing it's a dead mouse or something causing the smell. I also poked around with a flashlight under the hood and looked back toward the dash, but I don't see anything.

Other clues--the smell is worst when first stepping inside the car. Once we're off and running and the air is circulating from outside, the smell goes away after a minute or two. Cabin air filter at the glove box looks fine.

Any suggestions on how to try to address this? I'm ready to pull the whole dashboard off but have no clue how.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
ImUrOBGYN

Re: dead mouse (or something) in 09 Vibe :(

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Notice any air blockages? Are any vents blowing less than the others?

Some of the a/c ducting can be reached from under the dash and from removing the glovebox. You may take that route before actually pulling the dash. I would also check the under the intake near your windshield wipers by your firewall.

You also mentioned the engine air filter being chewed up. I'm assuming you pulled your intake and piping off to be sure nothing was dead or caught in there? A mouse could be caught in there and never make it to the throttle body. I'm not sure what part was chewed or how badly.

What about the cabin air filter and box?
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
canadave

Post by canadave »

Thanks very much for all the tips. I haven't checked the intake and piping from the air filter; I'll do that tomorrow. I think I mentioned in my original post, but the cabin air filter was a bit dirty but otherwise fine (doesn't smell at all).
2009 base Vibe, silver"
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I don't see it in your original post but it sounds like you checked it anyway. Good luck with your search. Let us know how it goes.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage