rust fix on back door--paint entire door??

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
canadave

rust fix on back door--paint entire door??

Post by canadave »

OK, I freely admit I'm not an expert on cars or rust. We have a couple of pretty bad rust spots at the bottom part of the rear window hatch on our 04 Vibe--they're about an inch or so diameter, roughly oval. My wife brought the car to a place near her workplace that's supposed to be pretty reputable, and he said it'd be $300 to fix it, because he'd have to paint the entire rear door (!!!). Is that really necessary?? Like I said, I don't know much about rust fixing on cars, but shouldn't they be able to just clean up the rust, repaint around the spots where the rust was, and clearcoat over it? Or, is painting the entire door how it's usually done?

I'm going to get a couple more quotes from some other places, but wow...I didn't expect them to have to do the whole rear hatch.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
bull77

Re: rust fix on back door--paint entire door??

Post by bull77 »

i have rust in the same spot but the window kinda covers it.

post more info - I'd be interested to see how much it would cost or how we can fix it ourselves. 8-)
canadave

Post by canadave »

Yeah, the window covers it for us too--which is why neither my wife nor I noticed it until we happened to open the hatch and were like "zOMG what is THAT??" :)
2009 base Vibe, silver"
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

I don't see why you can't just fix the few spots, unless they can't properly blend it into the rest of the hatch. On one of my other cars, I had to do a section of the hood, it was really only noticeable if you looked at it from a certain angle, (I forgot to do a clear coat, was my first time).

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

They want to paint the whole panel and blend to the neighboring panels. $300 is a really good price if they do a good job. They want to do it that way because it will look better, but try asking if they can blend the spots if you're willing to go with "not the best"
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Derf

Post by Derf »

If the spot is small enough that you can only notice it with the hatch glass open, you might be able to complete the repair yourself. Agree with the spot patch, blending may not be necessary, see what the shop can do for a spot treatment. Pics of the rust, would help determine what options would work best.

I had rust under the hatch next to the weatherstripping, which was only noticeable when the tailgate was open, just primed and painted black. Blended in with the weatherstripping.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

A body shop owner thinks different than a diy car owner. The cars a body shop worked on must look perfect because they are the base of the shop's reputation. Partially painting a body panel highlights color mismatches. Painting the whole panel makes them much less obvious.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
canadave

Post by canadave »

vibrologist wrote:A body shop owner thinks different than a diy car owner. The cars a body shop worked on must look perfect because they are the base of the shop's reputation. Partially painting a body panel highlights color mismatches. Painting the whole panel makes them much less obvious.
See, that's what I don't quite understand. The spots in question are hidden underneath the hatch window, so even if he has to paint around them a bit, it shouldn't be too, too obvious. And, don't they have matching paint?? It just seems to me to be something that a good shop would be able to just blend in so that any mismatch isn't immediately obvious, unless you were to stare closely at it.

I could understand if the rust were full-on a side door or something, in a highly visible spot, but it just seemed weird to want to paint the whole rear door for a couple of spots under the hatch window.

I'm pretty busy today, but I'll see if I can post a couple of pics of it.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
canadave

Post by canadave »

Here's a pic of the rust spots. Small, eh? Seems strange to paint the whole door for this.

2009 base Vibe, silver"
trb

Post by trb »

Yes, that could be repaired and just that part painted and cut in, but more than likely it would result in a job that is not worth it to the shop to do. $300 is pretty cheap for any job at a body shop. But I agree, I would be more inclined to repair the spots, paint that area just up to the edge of the recess, and then clear coat the recessed area and not worry about it matching the rest of the hatch 100%. You risk a bigger problem of the new hatch paint not matching the rest of the car if the whole hatch is painted.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I agree with trb.

I would remove the rubber thing, wire brush and sand it down to bare metal, apply POR 15 and spray paint it over. Dupli-Color may have your color or they will be able to mix it for you in a spray can.

Color matching is a high promise and rarely achieved. Also, you expect the shop to color match 5 oz of paint? And they have to give you a guarantee? Not likely. They were nice and didn't say "No!" They said "$ 300.00" and let you decide.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

canadave wrote:See, that's what I don't quite understand. The spots in question are hidden underneath the hatch window, so even if he has to paint around them a bit, it shouldn't be too, too obvious. And, don't they have matching paint?? It just seems to me to be something that a good shop would be able to just blend in so that any mismatch isn't immediately obvious, unless you were to stare closely at it.
First of all, customers can be very, VERY picky.

Second, they have to mix paint to make the color.

A paint shop has to worry about their reputation and warranties, so they want it to be perfect. And when they paint an entire panel, they blend the others to match the panel if they are at all worth their snuff.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

vibrologist wrote:
I would remove the rubber thing, wire brush and sand it down to bare metal, apply POR 15 and spray paint it over.
I'd almost do the same thing BUT, instead of POR 15, I'd use a reputable "self etching" primer over the bare metal. Dupont & PPG make some good ones BUT they are pricey and you can only get them in gallon quantities. Then, if you can obtain the exact color paint, airbrush the area OR with an artist brush, brush paint the affected areas. Seeing how this is so small of an area and very close to a match line it should work out well. Too bad you couldn't just visit a body shop somewhere and pay them a few $$$ for a couple ounces/grams of the chemical coatings. Either way this MUST be addressed immediately or further rust will be happening at an accelerated pace. Good luck ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"