Looking for a headlight bolt

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
troyguitar

Looking for a headlight bolt

Post by troyguitar »

Hey folks, still enjoying the 2005 Vibe GT as a daily foul weather driver (getting ready to put the winter tires on, it's presently 35 degrees outside):

but I'm still trying to make it a bit nicer. I'm missing one of the 2 bolts that holds my passenger side headlight housing down and as a result it wobbles a bit.

It's the bolt that is basically where the 8 arrow is pointing in this GM parts diagram, but they are referring to the whole assembly and do not specify a number for the actual bolt anywhere that I can see.

There is a screw, 2 in the diagram, part number 88971488 but that is a different screw as best I can tell. Looking up the Toyota Matrix equivalent, it appears that it might be this bolt 3 they have called "Lens & housing bolt" - which is different from the lower bolt and is not contained in the GM diagram:

However that is still not clear and if possible I'd like to order the part from GM as I am already ordering some bigger GM parts for my other car anyway and would rather not pay $5 to ship a $0.75 bolt.

Does anyone have a clue what the GM part number might be? Thanks
2005 Vibe GT
2004 Z06
Doug14

Re: Looking for a headlight bolt

Post by Doug14 »

Not sure of part # but probably a 10mm bolt. Mine sheared off and i have a ziptie holding it down, works great.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Just get a 10MM bolt sufficient in length to thread in, matching it up with one of the bolts you still have. Honestly, they seem to all three be interchangeable, as I have switched mine all around before I paid attention and noticed lengths.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Any junkyard at all which has a Vibe will have the bolts for the headlight, even if it got smashed. I was at Tiger Auto Salvage, and they had two Vibes. One had a smashed light, but the mounts were still bolted to the car. Free bolts!
troyguitar

Post by troyguitar »

bleh mine was sheared off too, thought I'd have an easy time getting the remaining bit out but right now I just have a slightly smaller hole from drilling through the remaining rusty bolt. For now I just safety wired it into place until I have time to deal with it properly. It's not a big deal but I hate leaving things like that.
2005 Vibe GT
2004 Z06
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

troyguitar wrote:bleh mine was sheared off too, thought I'd have an easy time getting the remaining bit out but right now I just have a slightly smaller hole from drilling through the remaining rusty bolt. For now I just safety wired it into place until I have time to deal with it properly. It's not a big deal but I hate leaving things like that.

yeah i would have liked to get the sheared bit out and get a new bolt. Unfortunately with the amount of other things getting old on the car and lack of money, many repairs are now just getting it to work. 270 000 kms in Canada though, lots of bolts that don't want to come out haha.