Vibe Coolant

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
vibenvy

Re: Vibe Coolant

Post by vibenvy »

When I had a local mechanic replace the leaking water pump in my Vibe last year, I made sure to leave a sticky note on the steering wheel that reminded them to make sure they used Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (SLLC) even though they're well aware that the Vibe is really a Toyota, I don't want to take any chances.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

Well, now I'm mystified.

So, went to the Toyota Dealership in town to get the coolant flush, made it clear I wanted SLLC in there. Hour later it's done, for about $170. Start looking over the invoice.... Dexcool50/50. I grumbled and said what's this all about. Apparently, even Toyota knowing it's a Toyota engine in there, put Dexcool in there... *facepalm* well, either way, it's done, it's one type of known coolant (bought it used, don't know if/what previous owner may or may not have put in there). Guess I'm keeping those bottles of dexcool I had for my previous vehicle.

win some lose some.
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Dairgo wrote:Well, now I'm mystified.

So, went to the Toyota Dealership in town to get the coolant flush, made it clear I wanted SLLC in there. Hour later it's done, for about $170. Start looking over the invoice.... Dexcool50/50. I grumbled and said what's this all about. Apparently, even Toyota knowing it's a Toyota engine in there, put Dexcool in there... *facepalm* well, either way, it's done, it's one type of known coolant (bought it used, don't know if/what previous owner may or may not have put in there). Guess I'm keeping those bottles of dexcool I had for my previous vehicle.

win some lose some.
Called it. Dexcool is fine, don't worry about it.
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

yeah, I know it's fine, now that it's a known quantity, as far as I know that it is only dexcool in there, not a mix of several coolants.

what kills me though is that this was the Toyota dealership that put dexcool in a toyota engine, knowing full well it should get SLLC. Either way, it's done. oh and bonus, saw a 1st gen vibe there too getting worked on.
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Dairgo wrote:yeah, I know it's fine, now that it's a known quantity, as far as I know that it is only dexcool in there, not a mix of several coolants.

what kills me though is that this was the Toyota dealership that put dexcool in a toyota engine, knowing full well it should get SLLC. Either way, it's done. oh and bonus, saw a 1st gen vibe there too getting worked on.
That's how the whole vibe matrix thing works. Technically they did do what's right. They put in the coolant that the car calls for.

Just remember when you're buying parts at the dealer never use the V or P word. :lol:
SWontario

Post by SWontario »

Hi, thanks for all the posts on this great thread.

Does the prevailing wisdom of Flush then SLLC apply to a 2006 1zze with green dexcool in it now (that shall be flushed)?
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Well let's first clarify a few things. You responded to a 6 year old post, that when you read back, were as much incorrect then as they are now. Any Toyota or GM dealer that would blindly follow the incorrect owner's manual does not absolve them of doing the wrong thing. The fact has always been and remains now: NO DEXCOOL in Toyota engines!!! If you mistakenly have it in your radiator, get it out and put in the proper super long life (Zerex Asian or equivalent Toyota factory) coolant. The same applies to both iterations of the Pontiac Vibe.