Static drop? any concerns?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
bigvibrations

Static drop? any concerns?

Post by bigvibrations »

I was curious, for a few different reasons, mostly lack of money lol, I was considering static dropping my 07 Pontiac vibe. Is there any things/problems that will pop up when I'm doing it, or as a result of it? I know I can't go low enough that I have to roll the fenders, because I'm pretty sure the front fenders at least are fiberglass. Which would bust if I tried to lower it. But I'm thinkin about putting on some 2" spacers behind my stock wheels, which is gonna limit how far I can lower it without setting it on the tires. But let me know your thoughts guys. Btw, I'm a new member. My name is Josh.
vibenvy

Re: Static drop? any concerns?

Post by vibenvy »

I am not familiar with "static dropping", but I have a feeling you mean cutting the springs. This is absolutely a bad idea! It will cause the struts to blow out and could cause you to lose control of your Vibe causing an accident. Save your money and lower your Vibe the correct way with lowering springs and/or aftermarket shocks and struts that are made to handle a drop. Your Vibe will look and handle great and most importantly, it will be safe.

Also, the fenders on Vibes are metal, not fiberglass ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
troyguitar

Post by troyguitar »

Static drop is a general term used by kids these days to mean any non-height-adjustable suspension change that is lower than stock. Usually that means shorter aftermarket springs.

The Vibe appears to have tons of room to go lower without any major ill effects besides reduced ground clearance, but I would advise some much stiffer sway bars as a pre-requisite. The car rolls a lot when cornering, which could lead to tires rubbing in the wheel wells if you go with much shorter springs (unless the shorter springs are also much stiffer, but that is going to impact ride quality significantly and is not a good idea IMO).
2005 Vibe GT
2004 Z06
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

The issue isn't fender clearance. Your car only has about 6" ground clearance underneath when new. If you lower the car expect things to drag and potentially be damaged.

Although some have lowered them it does reduce the utility of the car and the driver must continually be cautious of the reduced clearance.

Never, never, never use spacers between the wheel and mounts. It will reduce the life of the bearings, cause alinement issues, and in general be unsafe.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

im lowered 2" on eibach sportlines....absolutely NO issues this winter....and its been a wicked one
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

I've never hit anything being lowered on Tein S-techs. In fact, my mudflaps hardly ever scrape being almost 3" lower than my bumper.