HELP!! 06 GT, manual tranny problems

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
JohnR

HELP!! 06 GT, manual tranny problems

Post by JohnR »

Hi, I am new to forum, had my 06 vibe GT with 6 speed for 4 years, 180k miles. I thought I had it sold, and gal took it for a test drive, 3 weeks later, she called me to tell me to pick it up, said it needed a new travertine belt. I went to get it, and the belt was GONE. I towed it back 4 blocks to my house, replaced the belt, and tried to drive it out of the garage. Engine starts, I can put it in any gear, but it absolutely does NOT move. I can put it into any gear.... and it doesn't matter if I have the clutch in or out. NOTHING happens. (yes the engine is running while this happens) I can put it in gear, and it will roll around as though it is not in gear, when engine is off.

What am I to think? It is like the clutch is stuck open, without the throwout bearing being engaged. Is there a cable or something on the outside of the case that I can check? Can the throwout bearing "over center" and be stuck open? thanks for any insight.
mac99d

Re: HELP!! 06 GT, manual tranny problems

Post by mac99d »

Chick did a number on your car....First have someone step on the clutch and make sure the master cylinder is moving...If it is moving in and out properly, sure the throw-out bearing could be stuck or the clutch is totally fried, and that it does not engage at all. Either way sounds like the trans is coming out.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

creekhed1

Post by creekhed1 »

Thats one heck of a Test Drive!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Ouch :( Did she put a hefty deposit down on the Vibe , like say $500 or so? I know the answer but you shouldn't be responsible for the negligence of a potential buyer. Let me guess .... she's probably totally HOT and you were generous to her because of that :? I'd bet that MAc99 is right on the money with the problem and you'll need to remove the tranny and inspect the damage. Then send HER the bill OR add the repair charges to the selling cost of the Vibe. Also ... no more THREE week test drives :lol:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Capt.Vibe

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Looks like you need a new clutch kit.

You let her test drive the car for 3 weeks? Am I reading it right?
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA