New member :D

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
pliria01

New member :D

Post by pliria01 »

Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum even though I had my 2005 vibe for 3 years and never driven it yet :/
It was bought wrecked and with seized engine at the auction. My dad finally did the body work and he helped me rebuild the engine
so that is why it took so long. But it is making a ticking noise at idle and when in park. The noise disappears when idling in drive. The oil pump,
timing chain, chain guides, tensioner and vvti gear have been replaced with new OEM parts. All internals replaced as well, except crank, block and rods.
Also the head was rebuilt. All the valve clearances are at minimum specs. Intake 0.006in and exhaust 0.010in.

Hopefully someone can help me so that I can finally drive without worries.

Thanks.
tpollauf

Re: New member :D

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. I can't offer much assistance on your problem BUT I'd love to see pictures of all your progress, including the body work. Assuming you took lots of pics, post them somewhere (if you haven't already done so) to where we all can view them. Hopefully your ticking noise is something minor. It sounds like you have an automatic and maybe it is something in the torque convertor to where when in gear (engine loaded) the noise disappears. Others may be able to offer assistance on this one. Again ............... WELCOME :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Glad to hear the Vibe is finally up and running! As Tim said, I too am of no help with your engine noise issues, but I hope you get it figured out so you can really enjoy driving your Vibe. Also, as Tim said, post some progress pictures of your Vibe when you get a chance ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
pliria01

Post by pliria01 »

Alright guys I was scavenging and found some pictures and some crappy videos. I didn't fully document everything but hopefully you can get the jist of things.
Attachments
old cylinder head. Machined badly and allowed coolant into chambers. So the rings were replaced again and a rebuilt head with cams was bought and installed.
old cylinder head. Machined badly and allowed coolant into chambers. So the rings were replaced again and a rebuilt head with cams was bought and installed.
old cylinder head.jpg (182.68 KiB) Viewed 825 times
Some door damage
Some door damage
vibe side.jpg (150.04 KiB) Viewed 825 times
Front end was  damaged. A new radiator support was installed and painted with duplicolor spray can that almost matched the color of the car. Can't even notice. Then after market bumper was installed along with hood and fender.
Front end was damaged. A new radiator support was installed and painted with duplicolor spray can that almost matched the color of the car. Can't even notice. Then after market bumper was installed along with hood and fender.
vibe front.jpg (204.56 KiB) Viewed 825 times
pliria01

Post by pliria01 »

More pics..
Attachments
All pistons were like this.
All pistons were like this.
old pistons.jpg (94.45 KiB) Viewed 822 times
old head
old head
old cylinder head.jpg (182.68 KiB) Viewed 822 times
After engine was rebuilt. Head had to be replaced and rings changed again
After engine was rebuilt. Head had to be replaced and rings changed again
engine opened.jpg (202.26 KiB) Viewed 822 times
pliria01

Post by pliria01 »

Attachments
The moldings and back bumper were all painted with duplicolor bumper coating.
The moldings and back bumper were all painted with duplicolor bumper coating.
vibe side new.jpg (186.61 KiB) Viewed 821 times
vibe diagonal.jpg
vibe diagonal.jpg (166.79 KiB) Viewed 821 times
old pump and guides
old pump and guides
old pump and guides.jpg (187.22 KiB) Viewed 821 times
pliria01

Post by pliria01 »

Does anyone know how to attach videos??
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

The 1zz likes to let you know that it is running, I think just about every 1zz ticks at idle, mine does.