!!!SAFETY RECALL ON 2005 VIBES! READ!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
houseofbugs

!!!SAFETY RECALL ON 2005 VIBES! READ!

Post by houseofbugs »

I received a letter today from GM saying that there is a safety recall on the PCM module in the 2005 model Vibes. Just passing along the info.~Timhttp://www.timothyhoogland.com/files/IMAG0499. ... AG0500.jpg
bull77

Post by bull77 »

is it the same recall as this?http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42403
houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs »

I want to say yes but that one mentions the ECU where as mine mentions the PCM.
rAERRK

Post by rAERRK »

so this is only for the base vibe?
zdkaiser

Post by zdkaiser »

I got one of these in the mail as well. My Engine Control Module failed on me while I was driving like 2 years ago. It just stalled out and the car wouldn't start again. Luckily I still had warranty left. Mine is a 2007 base model with an automatic transmission. I am going to take the vehicle in anyways to see if the ECM they put in is not an old defective unit.
futureviber

Post by futureviber »

I got mine in the mail today too...How do they get our addresses? I have moved 2x since buying my vibe but they still had the correct address. I was worried about that.
ponta2147

Re: (futureviber)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by futureviber »I got mine in the mail today too...How do they get our addresses? I have moved 2x since buying my vibe but they still had the correct address. I was worried about that.Probably through your auto insurance I am guessing.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
NascarXprt

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by NascarXprt »

well my problem is im not the original owner of my 06 now, i think it was a fleet vehicle at one point.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
millster

Re: (NascarXprt)

Post by millster »

I was told by Toyota regarding my wife's Matrix that it's done by vehicle registration. That might only apply to the State of Montana, I'm not sure.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
06pvibe

Re: !!!SAFETY RECALL ON 2005 VIBES! READ! (houseofbugs)

Post by 06pvibe »

We received the same letter today (09/30) for our '06 base, ours being a 5-sp though.I wouldn't worry, Cole. They'll find you, I'm sure. We just bought ours, used of course, in mid-Dec of last year.Besides, this is only a letter stating that there is a recall, not the actual recall itself.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
808 Vibes

Re: !!!SAFETY RECALL ON 2005 VIBES! READ! (06pvibe)

Post by 808 Vibes »

I never got mine
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
808 Vibes

Re: !!!SAFETY RECALL ON 2005 VIBES! READ! (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by 808 Vibes »

I finally got mine today. It is dated: "Septermber 2010" hahah
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Well then, welcome to the club, HPL!!
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
houseofbugs

Re: (NascarXprt)

Post by houseofbugs »

Quote, originally posted by NascarXprt »well my problem is im not the original owner of my 06 now, i think it was a fleet vehicle at one point.I wasn't either. They do go by the vehicle registration.~Tim
808 Vibes

Re: !!!SAFETY RECALL ON 2005 VIBES! READ! (06pvibe)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Heheh...thanks! I don't feel so neglected now
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »Heheh...thanks! I don't feel so neglected now "Oh vanity. Thy name is woman."I know that's a quote from somewhere.... just can't remember where.Ah yes! I had to search for it but it's from, "Confessions of a Happy Housewife."
Flinst0ne

Post by Flinst0ne »

I got mine the other day. I had recently (May) PAID to have the PCM on my 2005 replaced because I had 83K miles and the warranty was 80K. I called the phone number on the letter and they told me that even though I had the repair done by an independent repair shop, that if I had the proper paperwork to prove it was done, they would reimburse me. They actually questioned if the independent shop had the capability to do the job. What? Only dealers can do this?? They are sending me the form. I was so mad that the dealer wouldn't fix it as I was only 3K over warranty and there was a documented TSB on this to begin with... I'm not holding my breath that I'll get any money back, but what have I got to lose?
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

Just received the notice letter today. Wonder which dealer is going to fix the problem in my area.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
Vinlandr

Re: (petervivian)

Post by Vinlandr »

I agree in some cases its more difficult to find a GM dealer nowadays since half of them closed. Before I owned the car I use to have a Pontiac dealer 5 minutes away from where I live. Now I need to go to the nearest Chevrolet 20 km away.Also something very weirdWhen I bought the car last spring I wanted to have it inspected by Toyota since I knew its a Toyota with some cosmetic changes. I was politely asked to go to my GM dealer as they are not the best qualified for such a thing... it left me puzzeled GM could also trace me back through registration as I am the 2nd owner of the car.
Vibe base 2006 Neptune Blue Powerpack
sgp2012

Post by sgp2012 »

i just replaced the PCM back in january. darn. will they be able to give me some money back?
06pvibe

Re: (petervivian)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by petervivian »Just received the notice letter today. Wonder which dealer is going to fix the problem in my area. I would think any GM dealer, but if none are in your area, I would guess a Toyota dealer would do as well? Quote, originally posted by sgp2012 »i just replaced the PCM back in january. darn. will they be able to give me some money back?If the original PCM serial # falls within the recall, and since you must have had a dealer do the swap they (dealer/GM/Toyota) should have a record of it on file, they should honor the recall in the form of reimbursement.
Flinst0ne

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by Flinst0ne »

yes, that's what I was told. Will need "appropriate" paperwork.
Ls1jorge

Re: (Flinst0ne)

Post by Ls1jorge »

I understand everyone prolly has the recall letter, I just got mine in the mail yesterday, I've had couple times when I turn the key to start it would jus crank unless I give it a little of the gas pedal, & it'll start, could this be my problem???
05 Vibe-Pioneer indash touch, Remote Start Alarm, TSW 18 inch.
99 Camaro z28- Cammed/Stalled/Full Bolt Ons
inibu

Post by inibu »

I never knew a vibe group was out there. I thought I was the only one that loved my vibe... Glad I found this.So here's my story. I got the letter in Sept. I think. Read it and it said another letter would come when it was time to take it in. No big deal, I have an 05 with 140k and no problems so I threw it away and went on.No kidding, 2 weeks later the light comes on and it shifts hard. Had my brother read the code which after research got me to this site...I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in. I printed off all I could find about the recall. Low and behold they say..."there is no recall on this vehicle". I whip out the papers and after 3 hours they say yes there is but not officially yet... So they tell me basically I can replace it and be on my way for $600 or so and "HOPE" GM reimburses me. No guarantee since they don't know if the new part they put on is correct or not. They think if its not the new version GM may not pay me back and make me put on a new one again... New parts could come in tomorrow or months from now... Basically the service manager had no idea what to tell me. I left without doing anything.So what do you suggest? I'd rather not gamble $600 at Christmas just to hope to get it back. I don't drive an 05 Vibe w/ 140,000 miles on it because I have a ton of extra money. Keep driving? It did stall once in a parking lot...Thanks!
jkm311

Re: (inibu)

Post by jkm311 »

I don't understand why GM is making this so difficult. Here's why:I had my PCM go out VERY early on in ownership. I have a 2006, and my module went out around 25k miles, I believe (which I put on in just over a year). This occurred nearly 3 years ago. At that time, the dealership knew they had the "new, correct version" of the PCMs that were the solution for this problem. They put it in one afternoon, I owed nothing, and I was on my way. I'm ready to hit 60k by the spring, and everything seems to be working just fine.I get so frustrated when I see member after member on here getting the run-around, when they had the knowledge and solution for me back in 2007. The only thing going through my head is: "Please don't let the PCM I have in there now junk out on me!" I hope everyone involved gets this taken care of, with as little hassle as possible. Sounds like it might be too late for me to say so.
Steelies to the rescue.
houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs »

Yeah I want to know when this is going to happen. BLACKEDOUTVIB just texted me the other day saying that his is idling weird. HE said nothing is wrong with it so maybe this is related? Also I fixed the broken images and links at the top.
NascarXprt

Post by NascarXprt »

Well i take her in for this recall tomorrow(or today depending on which way you see this post) at 9 am and a known dealer ship that sold pontiacs. so ill let yall know if this fixes it and how long they took.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM