toyota recall may affect vibes (article attached)

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
boudini

toyota recall may affect vibes (article attached)

Post by boudini »

was also in USAToday http://auto.freedomblogging.co...26755/Pontiac Vibe owners, your car might be included in recall, tooIn the wake of Toyota’s latest recall last week, involving 2.3 million more cars due to sticking accelerator pedals, is another vehicle that is included in the recall but has been almost forgotten about: the Pontiac Vibe.The Vibe is the twin to the Matrix, and was produced by Toyota under a joint venture with General Motors at the New United Motor Manufacturing plant (NUMMI) in Fremont.2009 and 2010 models of the Pontiac version are included in the recall of the same model-year Toyota Matrix compact cars. Toyota has not broken down the figures of how many of each of its cars are being recalled in this latest incident, which blames a faulty pedal design for instances of the accelerator sticking and causing the vehicle to accelerate.In an interview with Automotive News, GM spokesman Alan Alder said he didn’t know how many Vibes are affected, and that GM itself only found out about the recall seven minutes before Toyota notified the government.“All of it sort of rests back with Toyota, except that it’s badged as a Pontiac,” Adler said. “It’s Toyota’s recall.”When GM gets more details from Toyota on how many Vibes are included in the recall and how it will go about fix them, GM will alert owners about fixing the problem at Buick-GMC dealerships, Adler told Automotive News, adding that GM hasn’t received any notice from customers about sticking-accelerator issues..“We didn’t manufacture it, but we sell it, so we have a responsibility to make sure that Pontiac customers are taken care of,” he said.General Motors killed off the storied Pontiac brand last year as part of its plan to become profitable. It also shed its Hummer, Saturn and Saab brands.Meanwhile, USA Today is reporting that Toyota knew of the sticking-accelerator issue last year, but didn’t think the problems warranted a recall
2009 Pontiac Vibe Ultra White, 2.4L w/5 speed auto., Preferred Pkg., A/C
Airmack

Post by Airmack »

does any one know what toyota is doing to even fix these? It is not the same issue as with the floor mat thing is it?
kowell

Post by kowell »

This is a completly different issue than the floor mat. From what I understand there is something wrong with the metal component of the gas pedal and its mount and a combination of heat and wear will cause the metal to expend, thus jamming the pedal in its mount when you press it down.It has been confirmed that the Vibe will be include in the recall.Toyota currently has no fix for this problem.
2009 Vibe 2.4L 1SC - Red Hot Metallic
2011 Sienna V6 CE - Sky Silver
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Maybe we'll all get drilled billet pedals!I think the floor mat was kind of the scapegoat, but they inspected a vehicle or two involved in crashes - one with the floor mats in the trunk - and are thinking it's wear on the pedal itself.BTW, I saw VW has a great brake override system on newer models - press on the brake and the accelerator disengages.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
VforVIBE

Re: (Airmack)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by Airmack »It is not the same issue as with the floor mat thing is it?Kincaid's got it right, the floor mat story was nothing but BS, it has always been the pedal, Toyota was just trying to down play it. If my Vibe runs away with me, I'm getting rid of it, no questions asked.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
Zig

Re: (VforVIBE)

Post by Zig »

Funny, I posted the original recall in the The Vibe Lounge last week early in the mourning. Mods made it disappear, because when I got home. it was gone. True I didn't post the whole article, I just made a link. I feel like copy and pasting somebody else's work might be a violation. With newspapers in despair they might actually start pursuing this. Not saying that I have never done it before. When I posted it I just thought it might be of general interest to all Vibe/Matrix owners that frequent here. I did find a similar post buried somewhere else started by somebody else, but I still thought it was unfair. The Vibe Lounge is where I usually start at on this forum and most times never go any further.
I need a picture of my new Vibe! Better to ZIG then ZAG!!! http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/ Our Website/Bloghttp://campinggills.com/
Sputnik

Re: (Zig)

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by Zig »Funny, I posted the original recall in the The Vibe Lounge last week early in the mourning. Mods made it disappear, because when I got home. it was gone. True I didn't post the whole article, I just made a link. I feel like copy and pasting somebody else's work might be a violation. With newspapers in despair they might actually start pursuing this. Not saying that I have never done it before. When I posted it I just thought it might be of general interest to all Vibe/Matrix owners that frequent here. I did find a similar post buried somewhere else started by somebody else, but I still thought it was unfair. The Vibe Lounge is where I usually start at on this forum and most times never go any further. Do you mean this thread where you post a link on Jan 22nd (early in the morning as you said)?http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=40154
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
VforVIBE

Re: (Zig)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by Zig »Funny, I posted the original recall in the The Vibe Lounge last week early in the mourning. Mods made it disappear, because when I got home. it was gone. There are/were a lot of threads about this... I'm sure more then one was gotten rid of/ merged into another.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by VforVIBE »If my Vibe runs away with me, I'm getting rid of it, no questions asked. If my Vibe runs away with me, I hope we go to Disney Land. Isn't that a song?
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Haze

Post by Haze »

Mines an 07 and its done it a couple of times. Just have to step on the brake.
VforVIBE

Re: (Haze)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by Haze »Mines an 07 and its done it a couple of times. Just have to step on the brake.I don't think this is the same problem, this issue only effects the 2009 and 2010 Toyotas, Laxuses, and Pontiac Vibe.
Haze

Post by Haze »

I think its exactly the same problem. Maybe not a problem worth mentioninging in 07 but it has graduated to become a huge problem in 09 and 10. I have been around for 59 years, I know.
newbluevibe

Re: toyota recall may affect vibes (boudini)

Post by newbluevibe »

There is a gas pedal issue with this car, and not just the 2009-10 model year. Do a search on this site and you will see. I emailed Pontiac tonight. They will likely comment along the lines of Adler. I hope we Vibe owners will be given due course and taken care of with this issue. Bummer, because I really like this car!
vibolista

Re: (Haze)

Post by vibolista »

Ok, y'all... if your Vibe runs away and you're still in it, use your brakes and your ace in the hole... your key. Turn the motor off. In a panic situation, it's the simple solutions that are easiest to forget. If you have a manual and the engine gets stuck in the wide open throttle position, you can't really just push the clutch in... 'cause that will grenade your motor. Brakes should slow things down... but an engine with a stuck throttle will work against the brakes and if they fade, the engine will win. Turning the key to the off position will work great in all cases. Just be ready to handle a car that no longer has power steering or power brakes. FYI, y'all.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
Airmack

Post by Airmack »

I got one better yet.. Put it into N.....I win the prize.
leemur

Post by leemur »

Well this morning Toyota ended all sales of 8 models including the Matrix until they figure out the problem. And....will stop manufacture next week of...apparently...all 8 models.
2004 Fusion Orange, bought new R.I.P. 2009 Carbon Grey 2.4, bought new. 2004 Neptune bought used-2013
englishjg

Re: (leemur)

Post by englishjg »

I have an '04 Vibe and my gas pedal is sticky. It takes more effort than when it was new to press on it, and it kinda 'jumps' rather than glides smoothly. It does not get stuck, and it returns to idle okay. I called the dealer here who told me that it could be carbon buildup on the intake? He explained all about the gas pedal/floor mat issue with the current recall.Does anyone else experience the same issue as mine?The car has 120,000. miles on it.
leemur

Re: (englishjg)

Post by leemur »

My 04 gas pedal seems fine so far at 105k but the brake pedal has squeeked for years now. It has become like an old friend, that squeek.
2004 Fusion Orange, bought new R.I.P. 2009 Carbon Grey 2.4, bought new. 2004 Neptune bought used-2013
vibedrivermatt

Re: (vibolista)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Quote, originally posted by vibolista »Ok, y'all... if your Vibe runs away and you're still in it, use your brakes and your ace in the hole... your key. Turn the motor off. In a panic situation, it's the simple solutions that are easiest to forget. hello, I don't entirely agree with you here. Turning the key off might work if your going really slow and can stop really quickly but, during high speeds turning the key off means you lose power steering. You could also click on the steering lock if you move the wheel too much. I wouldn't want that to happen if your going very fast. Pretty sure people who have auto transmissions should put the car in neutral and let the thing rev like crazy. You'd still have control of the car and be able to get it slowed down and stopped. Turning the key off should be a last resort but, sure still something that could be used. Quote, originally posted by vibolista »If you have a manual and the engine gets stuck in the wide open throttle position, you can't really just push the clutch in... 'cause that will grenade your motor. Brakes should slow things down... but an engine with a stuck throttle will work against the brakes and if they fade, the engine will win. Turning the key to the off position will work great in all cases. Just be ready to handle a car that no longer has power steering or power brakes. I have a manual transmission and if my vibe took off, putting the clutch pedal down would prob be the first thing Id do. Id also be simultaneously using the breaks. As far as the motor grenading. That's the last thing I'm worried about. If that motor grenades GM can put a brand new one in there free of charge. They'd probably be less worried about replacing a grenaded engine than getting sewed for selling a faulty vehicle in that situation. Also bet that engine would have to be red lined for quite some time before something like that could even happen. Who knows maybe several hours. Plenty of time to get safely stopped and turn the key off. mehhh.. I'm pretty disappointed to find out about this recall. not cool. I saw this morning on the today show that toyota has completely halted production and distribution of a bunch of cars with this accelerator issue. They also were saying that somebody's toyota went careening off into a pond and killed its four occupants. They drowned. Not good.
trask

Post by trask »

I agree with vibedrivermatt, I would stick it in neutral and let the engine grenade itself before I would let the darn thing kill me.
2009 Vibe GT Sold
2012 Prius Four
2004 GMC HD2500
belfert

Post by belfert »

My Pontiac dealer says there is no known recall on the 2009 Vibe for the accelerator pedal.
peter826

Re: (belfert)

Post by peter826 »

The NHTSA site lists it:Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s): PONTIAC / VIBE 2009-2010 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V018000 Summary: GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING MODEL YEAR 2009-2010 PONTIAC VIBE. DUE TO THE MANNER IN WHICH THE FRICTION LEVER INTERACTS WITH THE SLIDING SURFACE OF THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL INSIDE THE PEDAL SENSOR ASSEMBLY, THE SLIDING SURFACE OF THE LEVER MAY BECOME SMOOTH DURING VEHICLE OPERATION. IN THIS CONDITION, IF CONDENSATION OCCURS ON THE SURFACE, AS MAY OCCUR FROM HEATER OPERATION (WITHOUT A/C) WHEN THE PEDAL ASSEMBLY IS COLD, THE FRICTION WHEN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL IS OPERATED MAY INCREASE, WHICH MAY RESULT IN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL BECOMING HARDER TO DEPRESS, SLOWER TO RETURN, OR, IN THE WORST CASE, MECHANICALLY STUCK IN A PARTIALLY DEPRESSED POSITION. Consequence: THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL MAY BECOME HARD TO DEPRESS, SLOW TO RETURN TO IDLE, OR, IN THE WORST CASE, MECHANICALLY STUCK IN A PARTIALLY DEPRESSED POSITION, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH. Remedy: GENERAL MOTORS HAS NOT YET PROVIDED A REMEDY PLAN OR AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668 OR AT THE OWNER CENTER AT http://WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.
belfert

Post by belfert »

Does this not affect all 2009 Vibes, or maybe only with the 2.4L engine? My dealer still says I have no open recall for an accelerator.I'm not going to worry about it. The chances of an issue are quite remote.
vibedrivermatt

Re: (belfert)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Quote, originally posted by belfert »Does this not affect all 2009 Vibes, or maybe only with the 2.4L engine? My dealer still says I have no open recall for an accelerator.I'm not going to worry about it. The chances of an issue are quite remote.The reason there's no recall is because they still aren't quite sure how to deal with it and fix it for you. The best thing you can do is to just be aware that there is a potential problem with your vibe. Where you go from there is all you, but not "worrying about it" might be a bit ill advised. I'm not trying to say that driving the vibe is a completely unsafe thing to do but, ignoring this potential hazard is unwise. Just be ready to handle your vibe if it takes off on you. Remember the warning sign in the recall posted above.. -the pedal may become harder to move before becoming stuck- Hopefully this wont happen to any of us and hopefully GM will send a recall out so all of our cars can get repaired and we wont have to worry about it anymore... but we'll see.
ponta2147

Re: (vibedrivermatt)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by vibedrivermatt »The reason there's no recall is because they still aren't quite sure how to deal with it and fix it for you. The best thing you can do is to just be aware that there is a potential problem with your vehicle. Where you go from there is all you, but not "worrying about it" might be a bit ill advised. Just be ready to handle your vibe if it takes off on you. Remember the warning sign in the recall posted above.. -the pedal may become harder to move before becoming stuck- Hopefully this wont happen to any of us and hopefully GM will send a recall out so all of our cars can get repaired and we wont have to worry about it anymore... but we'll see. If the pedal in the '09 vibes becomes harder to move, it might feel like it's accelerating like a normal car instead of being its normal jumpy self!
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Just turn the key to ACC. Driving without power steering isn't the end of the world, you just have to "GASP" use a little effort! Same with the brakes, the pedal will get hard after a few pumps but they'll still work and you have the E-brake as well... Never stopped your car using only the emergency brake? Well now's a great time to practice! Just pull up on the lever while keeping the button pressed. Pull up hard enough so the car slows quickly but not hard enough to lock the rear wheels. ABS doesn't work with the e-brake.My Vibe has no A/C so, from what I've read and gathered, my car could be most affected by this problem (although it's never very humid here). Pushed the gas pedal a few times with my hand, feels the same as when it was new. No rubbing, no interference... Worried am I? Not in the least!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
UptownVibe

Post by UptownVibe »

Quote, originally posted by vibedrivermatt »The best thing you can do is to just be aware that there is a potential problem with your vibe. Where you go from there is all you, but not "worrying about it" might be a bit ill advised. I'm not trying to say that driving the vibe is a completely unsafe thing to do but, ignoring this potential hazard is unwise. Gee, in our over protected, helicopter parent, government controlled world, I'm not sure a lot of Americans are ready to swallow that kind of "you're on your own kid" statement, especially from a car company that most think don't even exist anymore (Pontiac) and from Mrs. Reliability herself, Toyota.2009 and 2010 are turning into banner years for the effectiveness of government regulation all around. It's disheartening I'm glad I'm driving and '03, and I'm not sure who I'd be pissed at if I had one of the affected cars.And then there are all the folks who never even knew that their Vibe is a Toyota. They are in for a double surprise when that recall postcard arrives.Are there any '09 or '10 drivers on the board that have experience anything like the described conditions? I wonder how widespread the actual incidents are given the millions of affected cars that are rolling around.And on a lighter note, if there are any '09 or '10 owners that wanna trade cars free and clear with us older model guys, just holla!
UptownVibe-2003 Base, Silver Monotone-16"OEM Rims, Turanza EL400's-WigWag Strobe 3rd Brake Light Circuit, Sunroof Soft Stop Removed-A) Wolo Bad Boy + Stebel Compact Truck Horn B) Factory Horn-Grafxwerks silver front overlays (matches car color), Fully Debadged inside and out, Rear "Pontiac" hatch handle inlay overlay (to make it disappear)-Clean Visors (Don't you know how an airbag works by now?)-Garmin Nuvi 660 w/ Hardwired Traffic Receiver via under-dash 3rd 12v plug
ColonelPanic

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »Just turn the key to ACC. What if you turned it back to ON after killing the engine? Since the new cars use EPS instead of a traditional belt-driven power steering pump, will you still have power steering as long as the ignition is on? Or does the EPS use an engine speed signal so it only activates when the engine is running?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
vibedrivermatt

Re: (UptownVibe)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Quote, originally posted by UptownVibe »Gee, in our over protected, helicopter parent, government controlled world, I'm not sure a lot of Americans are ready to swallow that kind of "you're on your own kid" statement, especially from a car company that most think don't even exist anymore (Pontiac) and from Mrs. Reliability herself, Toyota.2009 and 2010 are turning into banner years for the effectiveness of government regulation all around. It's disheartening I'm glad I'm driving and '03, and I'm not sure who I'd be pissed at if I had one of the affected cars.And then there are all the folks who never even knew that their Vibe is a Toyota. They are in for a double surprise when that recall postcard arrives.Are there any '09 or '10 drivers on the board that have experience anything like the described conditions? I wonder how widespread the actual incidents are given the millions of affected cars that are rolling around.And on a lighter note, if there are any '09 or '10 owners that wanna trade cars free and clear with us older model guys, just holla! what man? i think your misunderstanding my point. Its not about over controlling government regulations. its about the fact that there could be a potential mechanical failure with our cars and we should be aware of it. Im not trying to freak people out. All I know is if it was bad enough for toyota to completely halt production.. Than it could be a big deal. yeah I agree all the beeping nanny seat belt dings are annoying and stability control standard on everything can make spirited driving less fun but that's really unrelated to this manner.
Old Tele man

TOYOTA Recall

Post by Old Tele man »

...here's TOYOTA's "sticking pedal" letter to NHTSA: http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa....1.pdf
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
kowell

Post by kowell »

Damn... 2 recalls in 1 week... this sucks.. this bear is not happy.
2009 Vibe 2.4L 1SC - Red Hot Metallic
2011 Sienna V6 CE - Sky Silver
Caretaker

Plastic versus Metal pedal

Post by Caretaker »

The local news just reported that there are metal pedals made by ATS, and plastic ones made by Denso. The plastic ones are fine, since they won't be affected by moisture. The news also said that you can go underneath and look for the manufacturer's label. While I see some numeric stamps at the point near where the pedal bolts to the floor, I don't see a manufacture label anywhere. Nonetheless, when I bang against the control arm with my metal flashllight, I get a metal sound back. I'm not sure any of the Vibe's were installed with the Denso plastic gas pedal control arm. Have a look for yourself.
JetBlack09VibeGT

Re: Plastic versus Metal pedal (Caretaker)

Post by JetBlack09VibeGT »

Quote, originally posted by Caretaker »The local news just reported that there are metal pedals made by ATS, and plastic ones made by Denso. .... I'm not sure any of the Vibe's were installed with the Denso plastic gas pedal control arm. Have a look for yourself.The latest 1.1 Million vehicle recall hints that the accelerator pedal isn't the only problem This action is tied to Toyota's largest recall ever last year of 4.26 million cars for the same issue, but is different than the recall of 2.3 million cars for a sticking accelerator announced last week. The new models in question are: * 2008-2010 Highlander * 2009-2010 Corolla * 2009-2010 Venza * 2009-2010 Matrix * 2009-2010 Pontiac VibeToyota reportedly has a number of fixes planned for all of the issues. Now it will just want the time to be able to focus on fixing them, without any more surprises.
ponta2147

Re: Plastic versus Metal pedal (JetBlack09VibeGT)

Post by ponta2147 »

Here's a few more slightly more detailed articleshttp://www.insideline.com/toyo....htmlhttp://w ... yo....html
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
jake75

Re: Plastic versus Metal pedal (ponta2147)

Post by jake75 »

For what it's worth -January 29, 2010: DETROIT (AP) -- The Associated Press has learned that Toyota is sending new gas pedal systems to car factories rather than dealerships who want the parts to take care of millions of customers whose pedals may stick.Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons confirms information in a company e-mail obtained by the AP that says parts were shipped to factories. Lyons says that's how the company normally distributes parts.But some dealers say they should get the parts first because they now have no way to fix the pedals on any of the 4.2 million recalled vehicles affecting eight U.S. models.Toyota has halted production and sales of the models, including the best-selling Camry sedan.Lyons said Toyota did not send the parts to dealers because it has not decided whether to have the systems in the recalled vehicles repaired or replaced.The company on Thursday presented a remedy to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and it is awaiting a decision before proceeding."We're not ready to launch this program yet," Lyons said, adding that letters must be sent to customers whose vehicles were recalled and service technicians must be trained on whatever solution the company ultimately decides.He said he did not know if any parts had been shipped from factories to parts depots, which is the next step in the process, but dealerships don't have them.Engineers and other workers were up all night Thursday getting the process ready, he said.The company has said its highest priority is fixing the pedals for existing customers."Nothing is more important to Toyota than doing the right thing for our customers -- and restoring their confidence in the safety of our vehicles," Toyota said in a statement.But dealers and customers were unhappy with the delays in getting parts.Earl Stewart, owner of a Toyota dealership in North Palm Beach, Fla., said his service technicians might not know the details of how to fix the gas pedal systems, but they know to install new ones, and the parts should have gone to dealers rather than factories."That's absolutely stupid," he said. "It makes no sense at all."He said Toyota may be trying to save money by using a less-expensive repair on the millions of vehicles that already have been sold, and using the new parts to restart factories that have been closed while it irons out the problem."That just doesn't wash well with the customers out there driving these vehicles," he said. "I think at this point you throw cost to the wind and do everything you can to rebuild your brand and your image."Toyota owners were both confused about what to do with their cars and angry that they didn't have any answers on when a fix would be available."I've got a $30,000 vehicle and they don't know how to fix it," said Johnathan Jones, a 30-year-old salesman from Fort Mitchell, Ala., who said he won't put his 10-year-old twins in his 2009 Toyota Tundra. "To me, it's a big safety hazard with my children."The U.S. House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is launching an investigation into the problems with Toyota's accelerator pedal systems. It has scheduled a Feb. 4 hearing entitled, "Toyota Gas Pedals: Is the Public at Risk?"
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Re: Plastic versus Metal pedal (Caretaker)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by Caretaker »The local news just reported that there are metal pedals made by ATS, and plastic ones made by Denso. The plastic ones are fine, since they won't be affected by moisture. The news also said that you can go underneath and look for the manufacturer's label. While I see some numeric stamps at the point near where the pedal bolts to the floor, I don't see a manufacture label anywhere. Nonetheless, when I bang against the control arm with my metal flashllight, I get a metal sound back. I'm not sure any of the Vibe's were installed with the Denso plastic gas pedal control arm. Have a look for yourself.From an article: " The Toyota Avalon, Matrix, Sequoia, Tundra and the Pontiac Vibe are/were built exclusively in North American Toyota plants. If the model year matches the range specified in the recall notice, these cars and trucks absolutely will have the CTS pedal assembly in question."
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
TONY TAT2

Re: Plastic versus Metal pedal (jake75)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

MMMMM,If it sticks while the wife is driven I could be getten that Z06 sooner !
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
VforVIBE

Re: Plastic versus Metal pedal (TONY TAT2)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by TONY TAT2 »MMMMM,If it sticks while the wife is driven I could be getten that Z06 sooner !That's my plan, only I'll be getting a WS6.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

See latest at http://online.wsj.com/article/...63082The repair that U.S. regulators have approved is a "selective spacer," or shim, that would be inserted into the gas-pedal assembly to increase tension within the pedal to prevent the accelerator from remaining in a depressed position.CTS, based in Elkhart, Ind., said Friday that the sticky accelerator pedals shouldn't "be linked with any sudden unintended acceleration incidents." The company said it isn't aware of any accidents and injuries caused by the rare slow-return pedal condition.andhttp://online.wsj.com/article/...emTEWToyota has said its latest problem happened because condensation from heaters caused increased friction in the gas pedal, making it stick in some cases, making the problem a mechanical one and not an issue of electronics.But some critics are questioning why Toyota's system didn't include a brake override system to stop the vehicles.===================================It would appear that there is a lot of confusion as to the incidents caused by the floor mat issue and those attributable to the gas pedal issue.That said - I am confused in regard to "condensation from heaters". Where, why, how???I am also confused as to whether the "spacer" is going to be the solution for new builds going forward. What I am pretty sure about is that the danger attributable to the gas pedal issue has been somewhat overstated.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

NY Times - with illustration of the "fix"http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02...iness
Herb

Post by Herb »

From what I heard on the radio, dealers have to do a visual inspection to see if the car actually has the faulty pedal to see if it needs the repair.This is what I don't get. I always thought that the factory would assign all data relating to the source and lot numbers of the parts to the VIN code. That way it would make any necessary recalls targeted to specific vehicles.The way it sounds is that they don't know which vehicle has the defective pedal assembly so they are requesting that all vehicle models that may have had them installed to be brought in for inspection.Seems like a very inefficient method to me. It might be possible that a fair percentage of the models might not even be affected.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
Houston

Re: (Herb)

Post by Houston »

Today's news says that the NHTSA isn't convinced that the fixes mentioned will eliminate the problem. They suggest the problem might be electrical or computer related.After two TSB's and no fix for the surge we experience when stopping, those of us with 2009 2.4L Vibes know how difficult it is for Toyota to properly fix computer problems.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
Caretaker

bogus announcement

Post by Caretaker »

Man, I'll tell ya; Toyota is going to be in BIG trouble when replacing all these pedals has NOTHING to do with the sudden acceleration problem. Are they telling me that MOISTURE is somehow eroding the metal on the upper pivot point after just a few months or under 2 years???? What a joke!!!!!!! I can see if people's feet are shoving snow up into the pivot point somehow, but moisture???? I am sooooo laughing at this one. This is an electronics issue. This "fix" coming our way over the next few weeks is merely a feel good measure. Mark my words: a few months from now, this will all be back in the news when the actual cause is found to be a computer issue, not a pedal issue.
JetBlack09VibeGT

Post by JetBlack09VibeGT »

DETROIT (WXYZ) - General Motors said it has tested two Pontiac Vibe SUV's and the brakes stopped the vehicle in case of involuntary acceleration.The 2009-10 Pontiac Vibe, the sister vehicle of the Toyota Matrix, is included in the massive two Toyota recalls related to sticking accelerator pedals and possible floor mat entrapment."We ran the Vibe wide open at 60 miles an hour and the brakes were able to bring the vehicle to a safe stop within 169 meters, consistent with our internal requirement for brake performance," said Martin Hogan, GM director of brake systems.GM said in the rare case of a sticking throttle, drivers should press on the brakes firmly and steadily until it comes to a complete stop. The automaker said that drivers should not pump the brakes.GM wants all customers who have experienced any accelerator pedal issues with the Vibe to park the vehicle and have it towed to a GM dealer for inspection.About 99,000 people own Vibes in the United States and Canada. The most impressive thing to me is the fact that they built 100K second gen Vibes in such a short period of time.
star_deceiver

Re: toyota recall may affect vibes (JetBlack09VibeGT)

Post by star_deceiver »

I read that too... 100'000 Vibes, not bad for a 2 year run!I wouldn't mind a little more info on the 2 Vibes tested. Engine/tranny/gear tranny was in....
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
ColonelPanic

Re: toyota recall may affect vibes (JetBlack09VibeGT)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by JetBlack09VibeGT »"We ran the Vibe wide open at 60 miles an hour and the brakes were able to bring the vehicle to a safe stop within 169 metersSeems a little slow... If someone's accelerator is stuck, especially on a highway, they're probably going to be doing more than 60 MPH! Nearly anything this side of a 1990's Metro should be able to exceed that speed running wide open. I'm with caretaker, I also suspect this is an electronics issue. If the problem turns out to be just that, I feel sorry for the supplier who is getting so much bad press now. We just had a Camry owner in the local news whose Camry ended up in a creek. Not good.

Image Image
VforVIBE

Re: toyota recall may affect vibes (ColonelPanic)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »We just had a Camry owner in the local news whose Camry ended up in a creek. Not good.Dropping like flies. But it's ok, there's nothing to worry about.
jake75

Re: toyota recall may affect vibes (VforVIBE)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by VforVIBE »Dropping like flies. But it's ok, there's nothing to worry about. MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE FLOOR MAT ISSUE AND NOT THE ACCELERATOR ISSUE.
ColonelPanic

Re: toyota recall may affect vibes

Post by ColonelPanic »

More info on the crash I posted... The guy was in a parking lot when it happened.I still haven't bought into the floor mat theory, something just sounds fishy about it. Some may say I need to put on my tinfoil hat, but I'm suspecting it's all one issue entirely unrelated to the floor mat. Although I do feel the floor mat hooks they use are ineffective and there are more secure ways for restraining the floor mat (and a lot less frustrating when it comes time to remove them for cleaning...)

Image Image
Eloi

Re: toyota recall may affect vibes (star_deceiver)

Post by Eloi »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »I read that too... 100'000 Vibes, not bad for a 2 year run!I wouldn't mind a little more info on the 2 Vibes tested. Engine/tranny/gear tranny was in....Make it a 3-year run, cause the 2009 Vibes were selling in the beginning of 2008. I bought mine in March 2008. Totally happy so far.
2009 Vibe (2.4L) - Manual - Red Hot Metallic