Should I buy a Vibe?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
jheymann

Should I buy a Vibe?

Post by jheymann »

We are seriously considering buying a 2009 Vibe. I was looking for opinions from those who own them:Would you recommend either for or against the purchase?Other than the nameplate and the higher resale value, is there any reason to choose a Matrix over the Vibe?We are looking for a car that is going to last awhile. Are there any quality problems that you have noticed? Do you consider the car a maintenance hog?Are there any specific options to absolutely get, or to stay away from?We are actually looking at a program car, a 09 Vibe GT, with a lot of the bells and whistles, with about 14000 miles on it, for about $17k. Anyone have any comments?Thank you all.Jeremy H
high revin

Post by high revin »

Easy answer YES
DeClerq

Re: Should I buy a Vibe? (jheymann)

Post by DeClerq »

No, there's no reason to chose the Matrix. Same car but the Vibe looks better and has a better warranty. 5yrs/100k miles vs. 5yrs/60k miles. If you're looking at a GT then it pretty much comes with all the options.I've got two Vibes, no problems with either.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring'04 Vibe - M&T, Power Package, Protection Package
jake75

Re: Should I buy a Vibe? (DeClerq)

Post by jake75 »

MPG and new warranty make my preference a new 1.8L Vibe with AC and AT that should be about the same price - but to each his/her own.Might also look at the Saturn Astra 4 dr HB which has been advertised here with over $4,000 incentives and discount. About $14,000 with AT I think.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
mikey123

Post by mikey123 »

Never driven a Matrix, but I love the Vibe. If you can, get the Monsoon stereo with sub-woofer. This is the best stereo I have ever heard. So far, I don't think anyone on this forum has had to take their 09 Vibe in for warranty work - possibly a good sign.The car has lots of get up and go, and looks great. Good luck in your decision.
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

the GT is a great car...fun car to drive. looks great and drives great and gets good gas mileage...i'm averaging 28-29mpg on mine...not as good mpg as the 1.8L but i wanted some fun in the car so went with the bigger engine...2 months of ownership and 3400miles later, no problem except for missing center cap which dealer replaced. other than that it's been a great car...you should get it btw what's a program car?
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
musicmanmu

Post by musicmanmu »

+1 on the GT! Great handling, great ride, slightly stiff but it does have 18 inch wheels. Fully loaded, and very comfortable. I'm averaging the same as lowincash - 28-29 MPGs. I'd say that if you carry 3-4 people, haul a lot of stuff or do a lot of interstate driving, then go for the 2.4L engine. I've read countless reviews about the 1.8L lacking punch for highway merging and driving. If you want to squeeze optimal MPGs, however, then the 1.8L would be the ticket.Had my 09 GT since late Sept. - 6,000 miles (I have a long commute), no problems. Saving major $ at the pump over my SUV. I'm a happy guy. I think you'll be happy too.Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
2009 Vibe GT - Navy Blue Metallic

hskater26

Post by hskater26 »

get a new matrix theyre nicer looking
-2003 Base Vibe-2002 Ducati ST2
DarkSpork

Post by DarkSpork »

The Vibe and Matrix are almost exactly the same car. Only difference I've noticed (previous generation) is that the doors have a more solid sound when closed in the Vibe. My first generation vibe is very reliable mechanically and requires little more than periodic oil changes as far as the drivetrain goes. I have had minor fit and finish issues such as:*HVAC knob freezing and breaking (it doesn't get as cold where you are) *Power windows regulator freezing and needing replacement due to severe warpage (also a cold issue you shouldn't have any issues with)*Paint is on the cheap side (chips)Those are the only things that have needed replacement besides wear and tear items. The car is pretty comfortable although pretty lightweight. Whether or not I would recommend depends on what you want out of a car; if you want a car that gets your from point A to B that achieves pretty good fuel economy and has room to haul stuff/people then it is certainly a good choice. The car has never failed me, on days when the weather is poor I have had to give friends rides because their trucks won't start or they can't get them out of the parking spot (stuck).As far as options to stay away from I have read on this forums that the 5 speed manual Vibes have had a lot of transmission issues, but I'm sure the issue is resolved for the 2009 Vibe.Sorry for leaving you such a long comment, hope this helps.
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
jheymann

Post by jheymann »

Thanks to all who have posted (but don't stop posting...). I really appreciate the insights. Dark Spook, you go right on leaving comprehensive responses, as they are very helpful.I'm interested in the paint issue. Has anyone else noticed anything like that?Thank you.
willysr

Post by willysr »

I have an 09 base with 5 spd auto,2.4 l,top stereo etc.It is 6 months old with 4,000 kilos (2,500 miles)My complaint is the thin paint/top coat.It seems to soft and it has 10-12 small chips on hood and facia.The dealer is trying to pass the buck on repairing saying that is normal wear.Well at this rate and as you can see I don't put on many miles,it will need a paint job in a year or so.I am going to try local body shop to see if chips(which have been filled with dealer touch up paint)can be buffed out then cover front end with a 2 pc. mask.I really like the car but can't have it looking chipped up.Also these are highway and town driving(no gravel roads)
kowell

Re: Should I buy a Vibe? (willysr)

Post by kowell »

The only differences I found between the 2 cars when I was shopping (other than esthetics) was in the standard and optional equipments but a GT should be pretty much fully loaded anyway.
2009 Vibe 2.4L 1SC - Red Hot Metallic
2011 Sienna V6 CE - Sky Silver
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Can you find any deals on a 08? The 1.8 will get better mileage, the 2.4 will be more fun though.
oriden

Post by oriden »

since i traded in the old tuck ( R.I.P) several family members have followed suit and they all are impressed and have no issues with any of them, the vibe is a very good reliable yet at the same time very sleek and sporty yet as well versatile
vibolista

Re: (oriden)

Post by vibolista »

Did someone say that the new 09 Matrix is better looking than the new Vibe??????? Ouch.Other than a slight gasoline habit that you will note with the GT, these cars have been about trouble free as can be expected. I have an 08 manual and get between 35 and 37 mph so far. Don't think you'll come close to those figures with the bigger engine. Eventually I hope to see mpg improvement as the little 1.8L breaks in. Too bad that GM doesn't equip a GT-L (L=light) with the 1.8 engine for those of us that would like a little better mileage along with the nicer interior. A small turbo-diesel with a 6-speed manual would even be better. In any case, make sure you take a GOOD-CLOSE-LOOK at the new Matrix, right next to a new Vibe before you buy. Vibe is much nicer looking!!!
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
lowincash

Re: (vibolista)

Post by lowincash »

the vibe has a more masculine look especially the front view...but i guess looks can be subjective and what looks good to you might not to someone else...but i'm so glad i got the new GT it looks great compared to the matrix =D
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
vibolista

Re: (lowincash)

Post by vibolista »

Yeah, baby, that's the ticket! Nice set of pictures. Ask and you get it right away on this site. Superb.
tx_wrx

Post by tx_wrx »

Im not an 09 vibe owner but here are my 2 cents....Do not get the Matrix. Overpriced, ok economy, and i universally thought to be ugly. It will suffer poor resalePontiac is the better choice. Better looking, costs less, and more room for negotiation.BUT Pontiac is a GM and that warrantee may not be worth anything in the near future if GM goes under or sells Pontiac. If GM or Pontiac go away, the resale value of your car will go down. I WAS in the market for a car but decided instead to keep my 2002 car and just put the money into investments. This is a great time to have cash to invest and not debt. I also question the logic of purchasing a new car right now. We are on teh cusp of some major tech breakthroughs and i think the cars of 2009 will have significant improvements.To me the only Vibe that makes sense for purchase is the 1.8L base. Dont get me wrong i love the GT but it is way too expensive and lacks both performance and mileage. If you want performance you can practically get a mazda speed 3 or WRX for the same as a vibe GT. If you want mileage you should get teh 1.8L or a Fit or an xD.If you are considering getting a Vibe GT, i highly recommend that you cross shop the Scion xB. It is the same mechanicals as the Vibe GT but will cost you $2k+ less. And being a scion the resale is very high.But personally im just disappointed with the Matrix and a little with teh Vibe. I wish the matrix was the Blade Master from Japan (looks way better just check out the interior)http://www.autoblog.com/2007/0...hback/and I wish that the Vibe GT had teh GM 2.0L turbo engine from the Cobalt SS.
GenuineVibe

Post by GenuineVibe »

I love my vibe.But every car has its downsides. The cup holders suck, no intermittent wipers on the base, aux hook up is in a wierd spot, and i'm not all that fond of the orange interior lights.I also agree that the paint is thin, i have a white vibe and have had to fill tons of chips on my hood and front bumber already. I also already have a crack in my windshield (we have alot of dump trucks on our length of highway right now). So i'm not overly impressed about that.But that said i still love my vibe and definatly recommend it to buy! The only thing i would trade it for would be a Saturn Vue -- if i had the money.
Tonyk27

Post by Tonyk27 »

My 2 cents. I have a 2005 vibe. I like the first generation Vibe over the Matrix and the second generation Matrix over the Vibe. Its all up to what you like best.
Tailslide

Post by Tailslide »

I love my base 2009 Vibe. Only complaints is that the paint chips if you look at it, and the A/C is a bit weak.
vibolista

Re: Should I buy a Vibe?

Post by vibolista »

If GM were to vaporize or atomize, you could probably still count on Toyota as a backup for repair. I can't see a world without GM. Where would the Chinese buy their beloved Buicks from?!?These cars are durable, and have few problems when maintained properly. Don't worry about trade-in... you're getting a great deal, so just drive it till it drops! That should take well over 10 years! I see a lot of Corollas that are older than 10 years, still running around on the roads here.
Vibe2009

Post by Vibe2009 »

If GM do go down and no warranty.... I am refusing payment to my car!!And yes, vibe is awesome! 2.4L is really smooth and compare to 1.8L or even a 08 civic, which my gf own, I will pick 2.4L vibe again! Is not as good on gas them, but is worth it...
Red Hot Metallic 2.4L, 5sp Auto, 17" Chrome Clad wheels, XM
jheymann

Post by jheymann »

Well, you all sold us. We just bought a 2009 Vibe GT (yes, the RED one). It was used, with about 15,000 miles on it, but they certified it, so we get 12,000 miles back on the warranty. We got it for $15,200, including the sunroof, so we think we got a good deal.Thanks to everyone who responded. This is a great forum, and we will have to be regular visitors. I guess we'll have to take a picture of our new baby, and post it.I guess the only issue is a potential paint problem. Is this only with 2009 Vibes, or all of them? Perhaps if enough of us get together, and if GM survives, we can ask them to extend the warranty to cover it.Thank you again.
mrsingh

Post by mrsingh »

I was worried about the potential paint problem on the Vibe as well when I bought it. And here in Alberta in the winter, gravel is dumped all over the roads to help improve traction - better than salt I guess for the rust aspect, but not too great for the paint and windshield. I opted for a full 3m clear bra on the front of the car, and so far it has been holding up well. But the real cold winter and snowy weather hasn't hit up here yet, so there isn't a lot of gravel on the roads yet. I guess time will tell how well it holds up, but for those who are concerned about rock chips, I think 3m is the way to go!
musicmanmu

Post by musicmanmu »

Congrats on the purchase! That's a good price, and I think you'll love the car.

5speed4

Re: (Vibe2009)

Post by 5speed4 »

Quote »If GM do go down and no warranty.... I am refusing payment to my car!!Unless you got GMAC financing, GM has already been paid for your car. You would be stiffing whateverbank lent you the money, not GM.
musicmanmu

Post by musicmanmu »

That's a scary thought -Today I heard on NPR that GM may be contemplating selling off Pontiac? Probably just conjecture, but theoretically, if GM did go under, would our warranties be null and void?