How many miles on your Vibes?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
tpollauf

Re: How many miles on your Vibes?

Post by tpollauf » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:11 am

Welcome to GenVibe Dale. Fill us on on the year Vibe you have and how you acquired such a LOW mileage one.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT, 2003 Vibe GT (project car)

"everything is modifiable"

Caretaker

Re: mileage

Post by Caretaker » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:45 am

dale321 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:52 am
nice not having to worry about a hybrid component failing though .. like the traction battery ..
or the special hydraulic brake booster pump ..
I totally agree. That's why I'm putting in many hours doing research to pick out the best possible and my last ICE vehicle knowing that the next one after that will be electric. I'd love to have any ICE for another 10+ years while the mainstream market irons out all the kinks (battery issues, replacement issues, charging stations, long distance driving, etc)
Live it up: There will be plenty of time to be old when you die.
* '09 Vibe: 1.8 liter *
* '10 Hyundai Elantra Touring *
* '07 Honda Fit Sport *
On Deck: '22 VW Taos/'23 Sportage/'22 Subaru Crosstrek

andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:56 am

dale321 wrote:
39400+ now , had it just over a month had less than 38100 when i got it ...
has a few issues , minor .. i'm used to driving a prius.. so i miss the city mpg ..

nice not having to worry about a hybrid component failing though .. like the traction battery ..
I also replaced an aging Prius with the Vibe a few years ago. I loved the Prius, but I agree the looming cost of replacing the traction battery, brake booster, A/C compressor was worrisome. I'm pleased with the Vibe as its replacement--about the same cargo space, and I get low 40s mpg on the open two-lane roads I usually drive. The Prius got mid-50s mpg in the same conditions, but I enjoy its reliability for the same age and mileage. Both cars were '07, the Prius had over 180K miles when I sold it, which is what the Vibe has now. I sold the Prius for $6000, bought the Vibe for $3000. Old ICE cars are a lot more fun than old hybrids.

dale321

Post by dale321 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:35 am

tpollauf wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:11 am
Welcome to GenVibe Dale. Fill us on on the year Vibe you have and how you acquired such a LOW mileage one.
Thanks ! 08 . - story - was grandpas .. he bought a nissan maxima from me i was trying to sell as they were only down south for winters .. his other grandson from up north (mechanic) checked out the maxima and didnt think he should rely on it for trips around florida - so he traded in the maxima for the vibe - he also had a gm discount , pretty sure since he retired from gm. then the vibe was left with his daughter as they sold their condo and went back north to live in retirement home .. as the vibe aged, they decided it would be good to replace it with more reliable (my aunt got a subaru - and she is taking care of grandma now - retirement homes are not a very nice place from experiences we had ) .. as the prius died again , and as my aunt had been looking a while for the replacement she made her purchase and i got the vibe for real deal ...

dale321

Post by dale321 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:40 am

andrewclaus wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:56 am
dale321 wrote:
39400+ now , had it just over a month had less than 38100 when i got it ...
has a few issues , minor .. i'm used to driving a prius.. so i miss the city mpg ..

I also replaced an aging Prius with the Vibe a few years ago. I loved the Prius, but I agree the looming cost of replacing the traction battery, brake booster, A/C compressor was worrisome. I'm pleased with the Vibe as its replacement--about the same cargo space, and I get low 40s mpg on the open two-lane roads I usually drive. The Prius got mid-50s mpg in the same conditions, but I enjoy its reliability for the same age and mileage. Both cars were '07, the Prius had over 180K miles when I sold it, which is what the Vibe has now. I sold the Prius for $6000, bought the Vibe for $3000. Old ICE cars are a lot more fun than old hybrids.
prius is great for all the stoping, sitting idling and city driving .. that cant be beat but for reliability when they get over 130k miles esp over 160k .. - yes, i get great highway mileage with Vibe , prob better than prius at higher speeds -
but the 1.5liter prius has only about a 75-78 HP ICE - even when coupled with the electric briefly (additional 45hp) .. it just putters .. (3000+lbs without driver .)

My Prius is an 05 and i wont be getting near the $ u got for your 07 . yeah, old hybrids need the lithium pack upgrade, which they do offer , limited through 3rd party.
Last edited by dale321 on Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

dale321

Post by dale321 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:44 am

Caretaker wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:45 am
dale321 wrote:
I totally agree. That's why I'm putting in many hours doing research to pick out the best possible and my last ICE vehicle knowing that the next one after that will be electric. I'd love to have any ICE for another 10+ years while the mainstream market irons out all the kinks (battery issues, replacement issues, charging stations, long distance driving, etc)
true , good thinking - electric is all about control - self driving 'convenience' -- and also 'self stopping' for control -- been bad ? low credit/social score rating ? control will limit your charging and/or distance ..
that is the huge push coming from white house .. they could give 2 craps about green and clean .. in fact the opposite --- electrics been around a while .. see movie "Who killed the electric car" (from the 90's !)
it's about putting u under their thumb for sure !

zbyers

Post by zbyers » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:55 am

dale321 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:44 am
Caretaker wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:45 am
dale321 wrote:
true , good thinking - electric is all about control - self driving 'convenience' -- and also 'self stopping' for control -- been bad ? low credit/social score rating ? control will limit your charging and/or distance ..
that is the huge push coming from white house .. they could give 2 craps about green and clean .. in fact the opposite --- electrics been around a while .. see movie "Who killed the electric car" (from the 90's !)
it's about putting u under their thumb for sure !
There is a dedicated section of the forum if youi'd like to discuss politics. Let's keep this about how many miles are on your Vibe.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW Vanagon DoKa '91 Vanagon,
'04 & '06 CRV, (2) '03 Base, '04 GT, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe