shorty antennas

Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, Vermont
spideymike1

shorty antennas

Post by spideymike1 »

to all my NE vibers!Just curious if any of you have replaced the OEM antenna with one of those short ones - like the 3" one. I hear that the FM reception is fine but AM isn't? Anyone have good luck and where did you get them besides ebay? does someone like Pep boys sell them?
~~~~~~~~~~~2004 FusionAutomatic16" AlloyMoons & TunesSport ExhustPower Options
ebslopp

Re: shorty antennas (spideymike1)

Post by ebslopp »

The AM signals do not come through that antenna. They come through an antenna inside the radio itself. AM radio uses an inductive antenna which is totally different than the FM antenna. Go ahead and replace it. AM will not be affected, and even with no antenna at all I can receive FM just fine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Base - TwoTone Neptune - 5 speed There are 10 types of people in life. There are those who understand binary and those who do not.
nismo

Post by nismo »

My AM reception sucks and I got a stock antenna. Go figure Inder Singh
2008 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo - Fun stuff under there somewhere 1998 Nissan Sentra - Sold2004 Pontiac Vibe - 107k and SoldCosmo CAI
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

I have 2 shorty antennas 1 is metal and 1 is rubber I don't have a problem with either one I like the rubber one better for looks though.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

While I agree that majority of AM signals are picked up by a ferrite rod within the radio, the FM antenna does seem to add some strength to those signals.My radio picks up no AM signals with the antenna wire disconnected, but as soon as I plug it in, the signal comes through crystal clear.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
wmassdino

Post by wmassdino »

If you find one that works, let me know. I bought one from ebay and the reception sucks!!Thanks
Dino
spideymike1

Re: shorty antennas (wmassdino)

Post by spideymike1 »

dino,Was it this one?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...%3AITOf course I ask knowing full well that they might all be the same, right??
~~~~~~~~~~~2004 FusionAutomatic16" AlloyMoons & TunesSport ExhustPower Options
wmassdino

Post by wmassdino »

Mine actually was shorter.... maybe thats why? I cant find it on here now.If this does work let me know!!thanksDino
Dino
wmassdino

Post by wmassdino »

Hi Mike,Here is the one I had boughthttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33639
Dino
billyjs

Post by billyjs »

Ordered a 6" short antenna on EBAY from this guy in Pickering Ontario,Canada .His name was Lloyd Leung. Hope to take delivery this week. By 9/14.Hope the reception is good. (12.99 plus s/h)glBill
Raven

Re: shorty antennas (billyjs)

Post by Raven »

Quote, originally posted by billyjs »Ordered a 6" short antenna on EBAY from this guy in Pickering Ontario,Canada .His name was Lloyd Leung. Hope to take delivery this week. By 9/14.Hope the reception is good. (12.99 plus s/h)glBill I have the same one and it works very well except in the hills 60+ miles from the signal source.
billyjs

Re: shorty antennas (Sunny)

Post by billyjs »

actually...I would have kept the OEM antenna, except, every timeI backed out of my garage, the antenna caught, and started to bend,and would eventually snap, eventually I'm sure it would be damaged or the base damaged...this 6" antenna seems to be the answer...thanks for the reply.Bill