You Know You're From Jersey If...

Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, Vermont
ragingfish

You Know You're From Jersey If...

Post by ragingfish »

You Know You're from NJ If....1. You don't think of fruit when people mention "The Oranges."2. You know that it's called "Great Adventure", not Six Flags.3. A good, quick breakfast is a hard roll with butter or a bagel with cream cheese.4. You have known the way to Seaside Heights since you were seven.5. Have eaten at a Diner, when you were stoned or drunk, at 3 a.m.6. At least three people in your family still love Bruce Springsteen and know the town Jon Bon Jovi is from.7. Know what a "jug handle" is.8. Know what a WaWa is.9. Know that there are no "beaches" in New Jersey there's "The Shore". And you don't go "to the shore", you go "down the Shore". And when you are there, you're not "at the shore", you are "down the Shore". 10. Even your school cafeteria made good Italian subs. And it's a Sub, not a submarine sandwich or worse yet, a hoagie, a hero, or a grinder.11. You know how to properly navigate a Circle.12. You knew that the above sentence had to do with driving.13. You know that this is the only "New" state that doesn't require "New" to identify it (like, try Mexico, York, Hampshire - doesn't work, does it?) 14.. You don't think "What exit" is very funny.15. You know that people from the 609 area code are "a little "different".16. You know that no respectable New Jerseyan goes to Princeton - that's for out-of-staters.17. The Jets-Giants game has started fights at your school or local bar.18. You live within 20 minutes of at least three different malls.19. You refer to all highways and interstates by their numbers.20. Every year, you had a least one kid in your class named Tony, Joey, or Johnny.21. You know the location of every clip shown in the Sopranos opening credits.22. You've gotten on the wrong highway trying to get out of the mall.23. You know that people from North Jersey go to Seaside Heights, and people from Central Jersey go to Belmar and people from South Jersey go to Wildwood. It can be no other way.24. You were not raised in New Jersey. You were raised in either North Jersey, Central Jersey or South Jersey.25. You don't consider Newark or Camden to actually be part of the state.26. You remember the stores Korvette's, Two Guys, Rickel's, Channel, Bamburger's and Orbach's.27. You've had a Boardwalk cheese steak and vinegar fries and/or Boardwalk sausage with peppers and onions and a fresh squeezed lemonade.28. You start planning for Memorial Day weekend in February.29. When you say you're going to Englishtown you mean you're going to the flea market, not the town.And finally...30. You NEVER, NEVER pump your own gas. (we're not allowed to).
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Mavrik

Re: You Know You're From Jersey If... (Vib'in Girl)

Post by Mavrik »

11. You know how to properly navigate a Circle.12. You knew that the above sentence had to do with driving. That holds true to Montreal also so I got that one, still not from jersey heh
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
ragingfish

Re: You Know You're From Jersey If... (Mavrik)

Post by ragingfish »

Are they called circles up there?Because I know in Mass they're called a "rotary."
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
ragingfish

Re: You Know You're From Jersey If... (Salsa!)

Post by ragingfish »

Ahh...a "roundabout."

2009 PONTIAC G8
Charlievibe

Re: You Know You're From Jersey If... (ragingfish)

Post by Charlievibe »

Well, this confirms it, I must be from Jersey, because I knew what you were talking about. And here, I thought I was born in and had grown up in Colorado, the things you learn!!!! These were awesome!!!!!
Just because you see Charlie doesn't mean I am a he....sometimes Charlie can be a she!!!!
ragingfish

Re: You Know You're From Jersey If... (Charlievibe)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by Charlievibe »Well, this confirms it, I must be from Jersey, because I knew what you were talking about. And here, I thought I was born in and had grown up in Colorado, the things you learn!!!! These were awesome!!!!!You know what a Wawa is?

2009 PONTIAC G8
Charlievibe

Post by Charlievibe »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »You know what a Wawa is?Okay, maybe not. I thought it was a grocery/food store. Maybe I am wrong?!?!
Just because you see Charlie doesn't mean I am a he....sometimes Charlie can be a she!!!!
Charlievibe

Re: You Know You're From Jersey If... (Salsa!)

Post by Charlievibe »

Quote, originally posted by Salsa! »maybe your dad isn't your real dad and your mom had a fling with a Jersey Boy..... Sorry Salsa!, I look like both of my parents and my mom isn't that kind of lady, so nope. It most likely has to do with the fact I never meet a stranger. I meet people and I love to talk to them about where they are from and those kinds of things.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

You are correct! It is a convenience store, similar to the likes of 7-11, but nicer. How did you know that?

2009 PONTIAC G8
Charlievibe

Post by Charlievibe »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »You are correct! It is a convenience store, similar to the likes of 7-11, but nicer. How did you know that?We had a guy from Jersey in our research group at school. He used to talk about WaWa's and how lacking the South was to not have one. I countered his arguement with the fact that there are no 7-11's anywhere in the area's of the South I have lived in. I truly miss 7-11.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

See, 7-11 is a dumpy chain up here...it's like the bottom of the convenience-store chain...and then Wawa is tops. Nice stores, most of them brand new or newly renovated...Can't even find them in NY...I need my Wawa! Their coffee is the best...

2009 PONTIAC G8
Charlievibe

Post by Charlievibe »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »See, 7-11 is a dumpy chain up here...it's like the bottom of the convenience-store chain...and then Wawa is tops. Nice stores, most of them brand new or newly renovated...Can't even find them in NY...I need my Wawa! Their coffee is the best...Wow, really. Back when I was in Colorado, 7-11 was the good store, maybe they have come down a lot. I will have to stop at a Wawa's when I am up that way.
Reynoma

Post by Reynoma »

Lived in "Joisey" all my life. Born in North Jersey, went to college in Central Jersey and now live in South Jersey (really South Jersey). That list needs to be updated: the people from 856 area code are strange, but not as strange as 609!My Mom still has her Bamburger's credit card...keeps it as a souvenier.
Philippians 2:11
ragingfish

Re: You Know You're From Jersey If... (Reynoma)

Post by ragingfish »

What school did you go to?

2009 PONTIAC G8
Reynoma

Post by Reynoma »

Trenton State College (NOT "The College of New Jersey")
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Fear not my friend...still TSC to me!

2009 PONTIAC G8
Reynoma

Post by Reynoma »

Those freaks wanted to send me a new diploma that says "College of New Jersey"
NovaResource2

Post by NovaResource2 »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »You Know You're from NJ If....29. When you say you're going to Englishtown you mean you're going to the flea market, not the town.No, no, no. When you say you're going to Englishtown you mean you're going to the drag strip, not the town (Old Bridge Raceway Park).Also, WaWa's a Philly thing too. The name for the stores comes from where the farm was first started (and still headquartered): Wawa, PAhttp://www.mapquest.com/maps/m...t+Maphttp://w ... tsname.asp
m4VibeGT

Post by m4VibeGT »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »14.. You don't think "What exit" is very funny.Of course not!!.. You define where you live by the nearest exit to the NJ Turnpike or GS Parkway
2003 Vibe GT Satellite MonotoneTRD CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust, Unichip
Caretaker

Re: You Know You're From Jersey If... (m4VibeGT)

Post by Caretaker »

I'm from exit 172 and I went to College at exit 3A. Got it?
ragingfish

Re: You Know You're From Jersey If... (maxx4me)

Post by ragingfish »

I get that you're from the montvale area.But 3A on what highway?Usually, if you're a true jerseyan, you say, for example, "I live near exit 172 of the GSP" rather than just exit 172.

2009 PONTIAC G8
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

If you were a true Jerseyan, you would know that locations are only given for the Parkway and Turnpike. NO other roads are ever used. Therefore, 3A is obviously the Turnpike since there is no 3A on the Parkway.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Not true at all.Myself and many of my fellow natives have evolved and now also use 287, 295, and 195 as guides as well. Times have changed, the Turnpike and Parkway alone are no longer adequate.That aside, last I checked, there is no 3A on the Turnpike. Sure you don't mean 13A?

2009 PONTIAC G8
kgenthe

Post by kgenthe »

You're all friggen nuts! LOL! Just kidding. I take calls from New Jersey everyday for my job. Found all of this kind of amusing
04 VibeManualFusion Orange Metalic97 Sunfire GTManualPurple MetalicYeah, the Sunfire is faster
Kari

Post by Kari »

We have a really pretty traffic circle right here in Kingsport, too. And it's one of the "you know you're from Kingsport" list things... "If you can navigate a traffic circle without hitting the brakes."And we give directions by the interstate too...81 and 181. Nevermind that 181 is actually 26 now since NC finally finished their half...it's still 181 to us!Anyway, some of those did apply to me...I must be a partial Jersey girl.
GenVibe Global Moderator
ragingfish

Re: You Know You're From Jersey If... (Kari)

Post by ragingfish »

In NY state yesterday I saw a sign that said "FUTURE I-86".There's a sign you don't see everyday.

2009 PONTIAC G8
Reynoma

Post by Reynoma »

Quote, originally posted by maxx4me »If you were a true Jerseyan, you would know that locations are only given for the Parkway and Turnpike. NO other roads are ever used. Therefore, 3A is obviously the Turnpike since there is no 3A on the Parkway.(I don't mean to respond to a posting that is 5 months old, but)There is no exit 3A on the NJ Turnpike. You've got 4 (Cherry Hill), 3 (Haddonfield) and 2 (Swedesboro).
redlava

Post by redlava »

Everytime I hear "New Jersey" I think of Bloodhound Gang's song "10 Things I Love About New Jersey." And it is 10 seconds of silence.
jadari

Post by jadari »

Its nice to think of the state I went to for three things as a kid, Exit 7a (AKA Great Adventure), getting to NY from PA (Exit 6 to whichever teen exit I needed to get to that day) (and my ex who used to live in Teaneck.... And no matter where I go, nothing Beats Wawa Coffee, and the tastycakes from the rest stops on the turnpike..
ragingfish

Re: (jadari)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by jadari »Its nice to think of the state I went to for three things as a kid, Exit 7a (AKA Great Adventure)I live right near there! Quote »And no matter where I go, nothing Beats Wawa Coffee, and the tastycakes from the rest stops on the turnpike..mmmmmmmmm....Wawa coffee! Their Vanilla cream is the BEST! Never had tastykakes off the TP though...

2009 PONTIAC G8
DownTheShore

Re: You Know You're From Jersey If... (NovaResource2)

Post by DownTheShore »

Quote, originally posted by NovaResource2 »No, no, no. When you say you're going to Englishtown you mean you're going to the drag strip, not the town (Old Bridge Raceway Park)....and you never call it Old Bridge Raceway Park...it's always "Raaaaaaceway Park, Englishtown New Jersey!"
Life is simply one damned thing after another
greenfire

Post by greenfire »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »In NY state yesterday I saw a sign that said "FUTURE I-86".There's a sign you don't see everyday.I wonder where you saw that? Yea route 17 will some day be called I-86. They still need to makes some improvements before it gets Interstate status. (Especially the pavement drop offs at the parking areas )That Jersey list is so true and funny. Ive spent a great deal of time in North Jersey. And yea you say the "Parkway" or the "Turnpike" ... even in southern NY people know what you are talking about.
2005 Flint Mica Scion tCTRD exhaustFormer Car: 2003 Matrix xr4wd
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »You Know You're from NJ If....you have a legitimate reason to wonder if the your kid's school will be attacked from the air by the National guard.http://www.zwire.com/site/news...rfi=6
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

LOL!Only in NJ!

2009 PONTIAC G8
PhillyVibeGT

Post by PhillyVibeGT »

Hey man, Great post! Way too funny to read at work, I loved the part about "two guys" and "channel," you would make my old man proud! I will however, being from PA have to take credit about WAWA, it is ours, and if you have ever been out there, WAWA , PA is a interesting place.
04 GT Satellite Monotone17'' Fittipaldi Fins on Falkin Azenis ST115'sMoon and Tunes/Sirius Satallite RadioInjen CAI/Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust GM Top Spoiler/Debaged SilverStar Fogs "I wasn’t born rich, I’m good looking instead"