Paint comment

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Craigmri

Paint comment

Post by Craigmri »

After a month of Vibe ownership and following another wash/polish session with the new Vibe I am beginning to understand the complaints about the weak Vibe paint.My wife and I are excessively (removed) about not following to close behind truck and cars in fear of rock and sand spray.Our Vibe is beginning to show evidence of very weak paint as it has chips on the hood leading edge and front bumper. Looks like GM is meeting my low expectations.I always said, you can give GM a toyota design, give them a toyota factory, give them the technology and they'll still F%$K it up :-)Still like the Vibe but a little dissapointed with it.Craig
Craig
ArcsVibe

Re: Paint comment (Craigmri)

Post by ArcsVibe »

I am hoping that the GM/Toyota people who lurk on this site can report this ever growing problem! The paint on these cars suck plain and simple.I do hope they do something about it, I love my Vibe
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by Craigmri »I always said, you can give GM a toyota design, give them a toyota factory, give them the technology and they'll still F%$K it up :-)Craigkeep complaining to the dealer the more complaints the better chance of a TSB correction. I work in a truck plant for GM and its the same here. the audit employees major complaints are paint problems (thin paint, chips ect...)
ragingfish

Re: Paint comment (scherry2)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »keep complaining to the dealer the more complaints the better chance of a TSB correctionEven on an issue such as paint? Where the TSB would most likely be a REpaint? That can happen?
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
scherry2

Re: Paint comment (ragingfish)

Post by scherry2 »

yep. example: yesterday at work they stopped shippment of 600+ white pickup trucks for a paint defect they found. if enough people complain out in the field it all goes back to centeral office. they then decide if they issue a recall or a revised TSB. i don't think owners are advised of TSB's though, an owner would have to return to the dealer, and the dealer would have to be honest enough to look at a TSB website and tell you if a fix is available.
Flip-Side

Re: Paint comment (ArcsVibe)

Post by Flip-Side »

Quote, originally posted by ArcsVibe »The paint on these cars suck plain and simple.Too true. But I don't think GM will do anything except improve the new vibes being produced. I love my vibe, but the paint is rediculous. Its spent only 1 winter month in Michigan last year, and it already has rust under the hood and in all the chip spots. I have lost all good faith I once had in GM.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
Sputnik

Re: Paint comment (Flip-Side)

Post by Sputnik »

I've really never noticed any paint problems on Sputnik.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by Craigmri »I always said, you can give GM a toyota design, give them a toyota factory, give them the technology and they'll still F%$K it up :-)You know, the Matrix folks are having some paiont issues as well, it's not just a NUMMI thing.One example therad on this is http://www.matrixowners.com/mo...15526
scherry2

Re: Paint comment (joatmon)

Post by scherry2 »

no, it's a how thin can we make this paint and make a bunch of money between GM and Toyota thing.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I wasn't trying to defend the paint quality, but wanted to point out that it is not just a GM/Pontiac/NUMMI thing. There have been some threads where people have thought about buying a Matrix instead of a Vibe because of the Vibe paint problem. Now it seems as if the Matrix does not have a paint quality advantage over the Vibe.
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »yep. example: yesterday at work they stopped shippment of 600+ white pickup trucks for a paint defect they found. if enough people complain out in the field it all goes back to centeral office. they then decide if they issue a recall or a revised TSB. i don't think owners are advised of TSB's though, an owner would have to return to the dealer, and the dealer would have to be honest enough to look at a TSB website and tell you if a fix is available.if you wonder if other GM products have paint problems. today at work they Identified 2500 white pickups that were built last week that have the paint chipping off. the batch of primer was deemed bad. they cut the windsheilds out and the paint came right off with it. they also scratched the door and you could flake the paint right off.keep telling your dealer about the bad paint everytime you take your vibe in to the dealer.