Stuck rear wheels

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
pwyu1969

Stuck rear wheels

Post by pwyu1969 »

Hi all, I have a 2006, MT, FWD. Two months ago I backed… pushed… my Vibe into the garage due to a bad clutch. This week I decided to roll it into the driveway to work on, but the rear wheels won’t budge. I put it up on a jack and here is what I noticed. When the parking brake is on, the wheels are totally locked, as they should be with no play or movement. But when I let the parking brake up, the wheel has a little play, as you can move the tire back and forth only about a degree in both the clock and counterclockwise directions with a slight ‘clunck’ sound when it stops. It’s the same type of play and feel on the front tire when you try to spin it and the transmission is engaged, but on the back wheel. It’s a front wheel drive only, and also on both sides. Any ideas and solutions?

Also, because of the bad clutch, there is not enough Oomph to get it to move.
andrewclaus

Re: Stuck rear wheels

Post by andrewclaus »

I'm guessing the brake shoes stuck to the drums.

First make sure the cable is actually releasing. Maybe try loosening the star adjusting wheel through the back plate. Then try threading two screws (I think they're M10 x 1) into the holes on the drum, to break the drum free from the axle. Maybe that'll help break free of the shoes. Finally, try impact--hit it with a single jack sledge.
vibedrivermatt

Re: Stuck rear wheels

Post by vibedrivermatt »

I think the pads might just be stuck inside the brake shoes. Maybe you can find a towing strap, hook it to the front tow point of the vibe and give it a little tug with another car or truck. That might break the shoes free inside the drum.