Blew out 3rd gear synchro. Anything I can do?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
alaskavibe

Blew out 3rd gear synchro. Anything I can do?

Post by alaskavibe »

Hi all, due to my manic speed shifting I've pretty much taken out my 3rd gear synchro. The vibe will only stay in gear if I hit it just right otherwise she pops out. Looked at a rebuild/replace and it was not worth it for a 20 year old car. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make this slightly better without pulling the tranny. I haven't replace the MT oil yet. Is it possible also to lube up the shifter directly? Something I've done on other cars. Thanks for any advice.
tpollauf

Re: Blew out 3rd gear synchro. Anything I can do?

Post by tpollauf »

Not sure on lubing up the cable/linkage ... BUT if the 3rd gear syncro is gone then so is 2 or 4? Doesn't one syncro control two gears? If so, wind out the lowest gear closest to the bad syncro, then shift into the next highest gear. This way you could still technically drive the car. Not sure if what I suggested makes any sense. I routinely drive my 6-speed like a 3 or 4 speed all the time. 1-3-5-6 OR 1-3-6.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
alaskavibe

Post by alaskavibe »

Not sure about the workings of the synchro, all I know if I don't hit 3rd within +/- 5 mph of what I should she pops out. 2cs and 4th seem to be fine. I've learned to do it right 90% of the time. Just wondering if there's anything else I can do.
Last edited by alaskavibe on Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Each gear has its own synchronizer ring. Once the brass synchro is worn out from poor shifting habits, it is gone. It will only get worse until the ring is replaced. In the old days when this would happen in high gear, you would tie the shifter in place, so it would not pop out of gear, with rope. You also have to watch what gear lube you put in a transmission because some gear lubes will eat up brass (synchronizers). You can try "double clutching" when you make the shift to reduce further wear on the ring.